Words that change over time.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
The phrase ' laugh out loud' has dramatically been shortened over the past few years, but I am not going to say what it is now.

you mean LOL?? damn I thought everyone that txt me was giving me Lots of Love, gutted they dont love me they laugh at me!!!!!

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A courier originally used to be generally motorcycle messengers, taking small packages between offices etc
And a carrier the guys in vans/lorries transporting larger volume boxes/pallets......now Courier is used by the general population

When I was younger it was considered common to pronounce H as 'h aitch'.....rather than the usual 'aitch'
Now anyone under a certain age uses the former

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
A courier originally used to be generally motorcycle messengers, taking small packages between offices etc
And a carrier the guys in vans/lorries transporting larger volume boxes/pallets......now Courier is used by the general population

When I was younger it was considered common to pronounce H as 'h aitch'.....rather than the usual 'aitch'

Well it used to be - until it got re-branded/Yankified as sodding Logistics (and to my great horror our packages are, apparently, now 'shipped' rather than delivered).

Sake. :glare:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
ps When did the word BAD become a term that meant something or somebody was good?! ???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I like pussy. It now seems to mean CLUNGE

Whereas 'clunge' is actually a building process using lumps of chalk and lime mortar which is evident of much of Brighton's Victorian housing stock, similar to using flint in bungaroosh walling.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Words that change over time

The word 'S***k' (rhymes with punk he says not wanting to get into trouble for using lewd and lascivious language on here) used to mean
'having some spirit, bravado, a bit of daring do'.

Now if you say to a feisty lady "you seem to have alot of s***k" , You get a slap!

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

'Courier' is an anglicisation of the French 'currere' - meaning 'to run'. A courier was a runner, often of messages - without the use of a two-wheeled hair-dryer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports