Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Woooohoooo. Bin men have fallen out with the council again.

Northern Monkey

Dec 5, 2012
Really? Start at 6, finish at 2, incredibly anti-social hours? Wheel a recepticle to the back of a truck and press a button? Don't sound too tough so far. Vital? Yes, but most Tom, Dick n Harry's could do it.

Up until June last year I worked 6-2 and 2-10 shifts and they are classed as unsocial hours, which is why I got a 25% shift allowance on top of my basic pay.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Up until June last year I worked 6-2 and 2-10 shifts and they are classed as unsocial hours, which is why I got a 25% shift allowance on top of my basic pay.

Well done Sherlock. I was commenting on another persons comment that they are INCREDIBLY anti social hours, which they are not. Night shifts could be classed as such perhaps, but double days are quite common.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
How much does a bin man get paid?

Their on around £400 a week, plus overtime, for a 25 - 30 hour week.

Most dont get out of the cab during thier shift, others work a four day week, attending Council sponsored class for basic learning, one day (09 30 - 12 30) each week.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Those slagging off the binmen also need to take into account that they are only working to rule .... i.e. only working their contracted hours. I'm not aware that there is anything wrong with that ? They are doing what they are paid for. If the service can't be run without overtime then one has to question the capability of the management and council officers.

Well if the "rule" that they are working to means they don't actually empty taxpayers' bins, maybe the rules should be changed.

Pay should be frozen at the very least.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Those slagging off the binmen also need to take into account that they are only working to rule .... i.e. only working their contracted hours. I'm not aware that there is anything wrong with that ? They are doing what they are paid for. If the service can't be run without overtime then one has to question the capability of the management and council officers.[/QUOTE

Work to rule..technically yes what they are employed to do...Nothing works well like that as I`m sure you know...Council employees in my experience are the most work shy bunch I`ve come across..I`m not talking specifically about bin men.... Also like most confrontations it is the vociferous minority that cause trouble. Most Bin Men work hard love the overtime and are happy with their lot. My bin men are Brilliant.(Lewes )

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Those slagging off the binmen also need to take into account that they are only working to rule .... i.e. only working their contracted hours. I'm not aware that there is anything wrong with that ? They are doing what they are paid for. If the service can't be run without overtime then one has to question the capability of the management and council officers.

I've worked a job where, in order to provide the opportunity for overtime, the department was deliberately understaffed. We were consulted when a restructure suggested we could have an extra person, but collectively agreed we'd cover it between us.

The company were paying us time and half for the extra hours worked and that probably cost them only a little more than the total cost of an extra person, but the increased morale would have more than made up for it.

I know that this is just one example, but don't assume that the availability of overtime is down to casual under-staffing because sometimes its a costly move by the managers to help out the staff they have by offering the chance to boost their wages a little.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here