Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Woodbine - The Northern

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Yes, I do. Bob Hawkins was an excellent guitarist. What a waste of talent. He was in Loadstone prior to that circa 1971, (I believe).

AdaStevens

Nov 25, 2012
Hi - I started Woodbine in 1974 when we used to play on Fridays then oer the years we ended up playing Fridays Saturdays and Sundays.
The line up was Wince (Winston) Weatherill on lead guitar, Stu (Stuart) Parkes on bass, Ada Stevens on lead guitar and Richard Cox or Pete Boughton on drums. Bob Hawkins joined us late 70s just before we moved to the Fortune of War. There are a few old clips on Youtube somewhere.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Used to be a bit of bikers pub. The law would turn up at closing time looking for ag. I remember a rozzer telling a pissed biker to nut him if he was hard enough, and the biker duly obliged :lolol:

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Used to be a bit of bikers pub. The law would turn up at closing time looking for ag. I remember a rozzer telling a pissed biker to nut him if he was hard enough, and the biker duly obliged :lolol:
was a great place to be. Crowd of us there every weekend, few of us ended up meeting our other halves there. Many a little dust up late in the evening. Jim the landlord could handle a tough situation I recall

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
I employed them regularly when I ran The Connaught in Hove. Had many a late drink with the guys after the gig. I even beat Stu at darts once. (Bit of a fluke, he was very good.) I heard that he died last year? Or maybe the year before. They all roll into one these days. His picture came up on the big screen at the end of the last home game. I was shocked, I saw him in Worthing on one of those disability scooters a few months before.

Edit:
I first met them at the Northern when I was 18 and working behind the bar for Jim and Sue. They had many different names for themselves. When they played country gigs they were The Elephants from Texas and for a while they were Boiler (named rather unkindly after one of the band's girlfriends.)
Before that they were the T Bones and worked with T Bone Walker on his British tour in the sixties. (I think that was with Gary Farr, son of a local boxer I'm told.) When Stu left the band after a falling out with Wince they changed to Frankie and the La Las and played lots of gigs at a pub in Steyning I think.

Last edited:

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I employed them regularly when I ran The Connaught in Hove. Had many a late drink with the guys after the gig. I even beat Stu and darts once. (Bit of a fluke, he was very good.) I heard that he died last year. His picture came up on the big screen at the end of the last home game. I was shocked, I saw him in Worthing on one of those disability scooters a few months before.
Bloody hell, Lordy it’s all getting close to home this dying lark.
If I recall didnt Wince once play with Fox when they had a few charting records? Maybe wrong.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights at Northern were mandatory, usually blowing a weeks cash in 3 nights.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, that takes me back.

I'm pretty sure that's the band who turned up at my 21st birthday party - held on the day we drew with Spurs at the Lane. I think I'd drunkenly invited them the week before (unless there were two bands who gigged regularly at the Northern).

My dad came back towards the end of the party and was chatting to members of the band about the Albion in the 50s. I distinctly remember him asking me, the next day, who was the bloke who remembered Albert Mundy.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Blimey, that takes me back.

I'm pretty sure that's the band who turned up at my 21st birthday party - held on the day we drew with Spurs at the Lane. I think I'd drunkenly invited them the week before (unless there were two bands who gigged regularly at the Northern).

My dad came back towards the end of the party and was chatting to members of the band about the Albion in the 50s. I distinctly remember him asking me, the next day, who was the bloke who remembered Albert Mundy.
seems like there may be a few of us who used Northern around the same time then.
wonder if any of us knew each other in that past life

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My Brother had his wedding reception in the Northern back in 76 (I think). Not sure they had a band though as the band he was in were probably all guests (Ray Du Val and his Rockmates).

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Before that they were the T Bones and worked with T Bone Walker on his British tour in the sixties. (I think that was with Gary Farr, son of a local boxer I'm told.)“

Now Gary Farr and the TBones I do remember, playing at the Florida Rooms. Gary being the Son Of Tommy Farr champion boxer.
Afraid I never made it to the Northern though.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Before that they were the T Bones and worked with T Bone Walker on his British tour in the sixties. (I think that was with Gary Farr, son of a local boxer I'm told.)“

Now Gary Farr and the TBones I do remember, playing at the Florida Rooms. Gary being the Son Of Tommy Farr champion boxer.
Afraid I never made it to the Northern though.
I recall Tommy Farr as a customer of the bank I worked in, in Hove.

I always think of Woodbine when I hear Sultans of Swing.

Was also a regular but just supped quietly in the corner.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
seems like there may be a few of us who used Northern around the same time then.
wonder if any of us knew each other in that past
Indeed. We were there pretty regularly - not every week but probably a couple of times a month around 1976 to 78, maybe 79. Then we just stopped going.

I didn't realise it was such a haunt for Albion supporters.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Remember them well. It was also the venue for a lunchtime pint from Brighton Technical College :thumbsup:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hi - I started Woodbine in 1974 when we used to play on Fridays then oer the years we ended up playing Fridays Saturdays and Sundays.
The line up was Wince (Winston) Weatherill on lead guitar, Stu (Stuart) Parkes on bass, Ada Stevens on lead guitar and Richard Cox or Pete Boughton on drums. Bob Hawkins joined us late 70s just before we moved to the Fortune of War. There are a few old clips on Youtube somewhere.
An odd thread to suddenly bounce.

Just wondering if the founder is still with us. Let’s hope so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here