Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Women's Pro Boxing on Sky. A step too far?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I will not be watching either, as I am not particularly interested in womens sport. If a couple girls want to train to punch the lights out of each other then fine by me, no different to the men who are also daft buggers!

What I don't like is the BBC trying to manipulate the public to believe that womens sport is comparable to mens sport, if it were then surely they would compete against each other? Till then, meh :shrug:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I will not be watching either, as I am not particularly interested in womens sport. If a couple girls want to train to punch the lights out of each other then fine by me, no different to the men who are also daft buggers!

What I don't like is the BBC trying to manipulate the public to believe that womens sport is comparable to mens sport, if it were then surely they would compete against each other? Till then, meh :shrug:

Spot on about the BBC manipulation.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Eddie Hearn salivating on Sky Sports news about pro debut of Katie Taylor.

I don't consider myself sexist but I won't be watching, I didn't watch the female bouts in the Olympics, and this just doesn't sit right with me.

Am I in the minority amongst the NSCers who enjoy watching the noble art?

I trust you would not watch womens's Football, either?

It's no different, it's just a sport. Katie is a fantastic personality and athlete and should be seen as a role model for many young female athletes. Double Olympic champion Nicola Adams will soon be joining her as a pro.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I trust you would not watch womens's Football, either?

It's no different, it's just a sport. Katie is a fantastic personality and athlete and should be seen as a role model for many young female athletes. Double Olympic champion Nicola Adams will soon be joining her as a pro.

Saw Nicola adams at the Olympics, no interest in womens football though

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Eddie Hearn salivating on Sky Sports news about pro debut of Katie Taylor.

I don't consider myself sexist but I won't be watching, I didn't watch the female bouts in the Olympics, and this just doesn't sit right with me.

Am I in the minority amongst the NSCers who enjoy watching the noble art?

Do you watch men's boxing and find it acceptable? If so then you are being sexist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Must admit I was not sure about WMMA before it fully kicked off, but there have been some quality fights in the UFC and some of the fights of the night, whether it be Joanna champion in the Strawweight or the constant changing hands of the Bantamweight belt it has been an exciting year.

For that reason I will be very open minded to professional womens boxing

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade

How is the BBC trying to "manipulate the public"? Men and women, at least in football will NEVER compete at the top level together, top women footballers have said this on the BBC countless times.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
How is the BBC trying to "manipulate the public"? Men and women, at least in football will NEVER compete at the top level together, top women footballers have said this on the BBC countless times.

The BBC are often showing womens sport where they used to show mens sport. This could be football, cricket, or rugby or others, mainly sports where the BBC has lost the rights to the more commercial mens game. The Boat Race, hardly the most scintillating TV friendly event is it? Watched by how many people three days, 2or 3 million at most I would guess? But now Auntie even shows the womens version. For those now offended by the use of the word 'even' I use it not because the event is a womens fixture, but because the mens race is dull to start with.

You mention men and women not competing against each other. That in itself leads to many looking for the fastest, most powerful, quicker, higher, longer version of whatever game/sport they follow, and usually it will be the mens event. Tennis is the obvious example. That is not to say that womens sport cannot be more skillfull, deft of touch or more attractive in its play than the mens version. But in terms reaching the pinnacle of winning then the mens version will usually prevail. There are of course exceptions to this, motorsport, equine events or just those that require skill above power to be competitive.

As for BBC manipulation you need look no further than womens football to see it in action. They may proclaim that the Womens FA Cup Final or England game is a Wembley sell out on the trailer, they conveniently do not mention that a far lower number of tickets were made available for sale than for when the men were playing. Womens sport is great, but we should not pretend that it is as explosive, powerful or crowd pulling just for media purposes. My gripe is not with womens sport, but with those who use it to further their own PC agenda.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here