Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think some fans actually want Gus to say:

"OK, I'll get a massive tattoo of BHAFC across my face, I'm changing my middle name to Cup Final '83, and I will only eat blue and white food from now on."

:lol:
I think that's my favourite post on this thread

although i think this was quite funny too as a response to some other nonsense :D

The fans? Sorry, how hard are you having to concentrate to get your arse to the Amex and shout 'Albion'?

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne
The fans? Sorry, how hard are you having to concentrate to get your arse to the Amex and shout 'Albion'? It's more important that the players believe he's staying, but he sees them in training all week, do you know that he's said nothing to them?

Give me an A.
A
Give me an L
L

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
how does TC at Wolves work with the bookies?? they are still offering odds at many sites??

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/wolves-specials/next-permanent-manager

is he the "next permanent manager" or is he caretaker?

how on earth can some bookies still offer odds if its a done deal?

FWIW i think that similar to Benno last season, we have to hope that either we get promoted or Wolves get relegated or both. If we don't and they stay up, this is a temporary reprieve and they will be back for Gus.

Only next time, in different circumstances and with pre season, if they do come back and are in the PL to our NPC, i think he would go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But they haven't approached Gus. They haven't spoken to him at all, so he's in no position to say anything. If they offered TB the money required and were able to speak to Gus, that would be the time for him to speak.
The fans? Sorry, how hard are you having to concentrate to get your arse to the Amex and shout 'Albion'? It's more important that the players believe he's staying, but he sees them in training all week, do you know that he's said nothing to them?

All academic now, since Wolves finally made a decision, but clarity for our players on Gus' position WRT other potential jobs is obviously a good thing... as for the fans, I think they deserved better on this one, just an opinion...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He made his position clear after the Hull game. He said that he had nothing to say about the Wolves job as it never reached him, but that he wasn't in a hurry to get to the Prem, and that he is very happy here, which is why he was happy to sign a five year contract. Why are people pretending these comments were never made? Very odd.

He could have just said "I'm not interested in the Wolves job at this time", like he said about the Leeds job... he didn't, which is just another example of his less than great performance WRT his dealings with the press IMHO... anyway, all good now, since Wolves have finally made an appointment! :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think some fans actually want Gus to say:

"OK, I'll get a massive tattoo of BHAFC across my face, I'm changing my middle name to Cup Final '83, and I will only eat blue and white food from now on."

Or... "I'm not interested in the Wolves job at this time" = game over for speculation...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There are a lot of oddities around our fan base at the moment.

What would we rather; a manager who tows the party line and says what the fans want to hear but ultimately is a bit vanilla, or a manager who is getting stonking results, is passionate and says what he thinks.

Gus will do what's best for Gus. The best thing about that is that what's good for Gus will ultimately be good for the Albion. Failure is not an option for him.

Or a manager who not only performs miracles in terms of results on the pitch, which Gus indisputably does, AND handles his public pronouncements a lot better than he currently manages...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He could have just said "I'm not interested in the Wolves job at this time", like he said about the Leeds job... he didn't, which is just another example of his less than great performance WRT his dealings with the press IMHO... anyway, all good now, since Wolves have finally made an appointment! :)

As before, if TC keeps them up and we don't get promoted, this will all start again in 3-4 months time, only next time IF they came back, i guess he'd go. Going to start cheering on anyone but Wolves as well as Albion

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Or... "I'm not interested in the Wolves job at this time" = game over for speculation...

If anything, saying that would fudge it even more as people would pick up on '... at this time'.

Fact is, it's probable he would be having a mild 'on nodding terms / wouldn't-avoid-you-if-I-saw-you-in-the-street' interest in the Wolves job. He's not going to burn his bridges by dismissing it out of hand. It's just that he's far, far MORE interested in the Brighton job.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That comment about being happy here didn't clarify it. What he said separately was that he wanted to manage in the premiership either with Brighton or with someone else if he couldn't get there with Brighton. However, if the right job came along, he was clear he would take it. Nobody except Wolves know if they are prepared to a) stump up the money that Tony Bloom would be willing to take and b) whether Wolves are prepared or able to give Gus what he wants in terms of vision and provisions for the club. We can speculate as much as we like but until Wolves end their interest (and we'll probably be clear when they appoint someone) it is impossible to say for sure that they won't get Gus.

THIS, with bells on...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
He said he didn't want the Leeds one because he didn't want to go to Leeds at that point. He didn't say he didn't want the Wolves one because he didn't know whether he would want it until he was told what they were offering. In the end he doesn't know what they would have offered because they didn't get to speak to him. It's far from over. If TC keeps them up they may still want another manager and they'll doubtless be back in the summer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
He said he didn't want the Leeds one because he didn't want to go to Leeds at that point. He didn't say he didn't want the Wolves one because he didn't know whether he would want it until he was told what they were offering. In the end he doesn't know what they would have offered because they didn't get to speak to him. It's far from over. If TC keeps them up they may still want another manager and they'll doubtless be back in the summer.

You could say that about ANY managerial job that comes up below the top six.

That's just one of those ridiculous hype-fuelled things that we as Brighton fans have to up with.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As before, if TC keeps them up and we don't get promoted, this will all start again in 3-4 months time, only next time IF they came back, i guess he'd go. Going to start cheering on anyone but Wolves as well as Albion

I agree, so here's hoping... that we get promoted...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports