Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
If he goes to Wolves then so be it.

Then we move on, on the back of his progress.

If Gus thinks it enhances his career, that's down to him.

I'll never forget when we beat Mansfield 7 - 1 , first proper game at Withers, and Mickey boy and corky, along with wives came in the Lord Nelson.

Anyway. somehow I was in the pisser with Mickey boy, just us two.

I asked him to sign my programme.(when we returned to the bar of course) to my son or daughter who was still in his mums tum at the time.

Mickey boy quite happily did this, but after a few beers together I asked him about his medium term vision for The Albon.

Bearing in mind he had just signed a 4 year contract, he quite openly told me that if if someone could double his wages, he would be off, because after all, we'd all do the same.

At the end of the day, Gus won't be here forever, but the most important people will be, which is us.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Their forum is laugh a post, very reminiscent of Southampton's when they fell out the top division...

.."Crouch will be brilliant in the Championship because they only play long ball",

"When we get promoted next season....

etc.. etc..

Back to Wolves, by all accounts, Poyet would be there now if given the chance. Also Chris Houghton who (if asked) would jump at the chance to leave Birmingham for a prestigious big club like Wolves.

.. oh and Birmingham need the money. Yes that makes perfect sense, throw away the chance of the play offs for a bit of compensation for the manager leaving.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'll never forget when we beat Mansfield 7 - 1 , first proper game at Withers, and Mickey boy and corky, along with wives came in the Lord Nelson.

Never forget eh? You seem to have already forgotten that it was 6-0 and not 7-1.

:lol:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I wonder if a club has ever sacked a manager, can't find a decent enough replacement and (without a permanent manager in between) end up re-hiring the manager they had sacked. Please, Wolves, make it happen!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I thought that Gus had already said that he didn't have a decision to make because the situation never arose it never got further than an enquiry to the club.

I have nothing to back this up but I suspect that Bloom would allow Wolves to talk to Poyet and I suspect it's in the contract. That's a long contract to sign without clauses beneficial to each party.

Allowed to talk to Premiership clubs - check

Contract paid out in full by new employer - check

Contract paid out in full if sacked- check

Wolves found out how much it would cost them on top of McCarthy's carriage clock and M & S vouchers and said, Tony - we will get back to you.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
407199_10151304704200487_407506265486_22753992_702787750_n.jpg

I have nothing to back this up but I suspect that Bloom would allow Wolves to talk to Poyet and I suspect it's in the contract. That's a long contract to sign without clauses beneficial to each party.

Allowed to talk to Premiership clubs - check

Contract paid out in full by new employer - check

Contract paid out in full if sacked- check

Wolves found out how much it would cost them on top of McCarthy's carriage clock and M & S vouchers and said, Tony - we will get back to you.

That's how I read it.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Before all this started, I would have been gutted if he left, but now I think I have stopped caring. I would be more concerned about who we got next. I know good managers do not grow on trees, and I know he will be a top manager somewhere. But to be honest I get the feeling the last few months, with the Leeds comments and now this, that he would be off like a shot given the chance. I am not saying that is any difference from any other manager, but the non committal comments, just leave me feeling a little sour.

Digweed's Testicle

Build A Bonfire
Jan 11, 2004
Hartlepool
Gus has always been an honest, man of his word. Where others are coy about personal ambitions, he has always been open about his future and of successful players under his stewardship - but also about his drive for the Albion to succeed alongside him in the present as a win/win scenario.
I doubt any of us thought he would spend his whole career with us.
What he has done as his part of the Tony Bloom revolution is outstanding and should never be depreciated.
I for one, as with thousands of you others, am enjoying the ride on the Gus Bus and probably never dreampt over the last decade we would play the style of football we play, have our new stadium and the optimism we have for the future.
These moments are all too brief in the life of any one-club football fan. Enjoy every minute. These are days we will all look back on with great pride and be glad Gus was part of it - however long it may be.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Before all this started, I would have been gutted if he left, but now I think I have stopped caring. I would be more concerned about who we got next. I know good managers do not grow on trees, and I know he will be a top manager somewhere. But to be honest I get the feeling the last few months, with the Leeds comments and now this, that he would be off like a shot given the chance. I am not saying that is any difference from any other manager, but the non committal comments, just leave me feeling a little sour.

I agree 100%, if you look at Hughton at brum, he instantly said I have a job to do here and ruled himself out...... Poyet doesn't, he spends a lot of time in the media selling himself and his personal ambition to one day get to the prem and to manage a top club etc.

He is a very good manager, no doubt, but I am also starting to believe he is out to climb that ladder anyway he can in the quickest time, by whatever means. I don't think he is as Loyal as Hughton for instance, its more his personal ambition, and thats why he won't rule anything out and uses the media, becoming quite vocal around available jobs to subtly talk himself up.

He will of course go onto bigger and better than us at some time, and its been an amazing ride, but I aint so sure as I once was he would give everything here and then move to a very top job only after "I hit the ceiling", as Gus himself aluded, I'm starting to reckon that was all just 'say the right stuff' talk.... time will tell.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Never forget eh? You seem to have already forgotten that it was 6-0 and not 7-1.

:lol:

I'm getting older than Ben's grandad on a daily basis it seems, you git.x

If you can correct me, you know what I must mean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here