Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
just got hold of a friend who does a bit of freelancing for the Express and Star (not necessarily a recommendation................. in fact not any sort of recommendation!)

slightly cryptic conversation but then isn't that always the case with self proclaimed "journos"? Anyway, he says that according to his sources (undefined but hinted to be within wwfc - could easily be no more than the tea lady or the kit man) they have now got permission to speak to Gus and they think they can persuade him to sign on a long term deal. Gave me a load of bollocks about they were going to wait for the summer to sign McDermott which is why they were only offering Curbs a short term deal. Now that McDermott is a definite no they are going all out for Gus and will happily pay compensation for his remaining contract plus Tanno and other coaches etc.

Let me emphasise that I think he had rehearsed the argument when talking about doing a deal to sign McDermott a couple of days ago so I am not convinced by a very long way but then there's always the old "no smoke without fire" routine.................

TBH I wish I hadn't phoned him because I don't honestly think he knows any more than you or I can read on the internet but his occassional bits published give him a spurious legitimacy. Anyway I am now terminally depressed so hoping that the rumour on twitter that they are speaking to Glenn Roeder is more than just a cruel joke or that Wolves fans will turn round and beg for them to sign Steve Bruce.

f*** shit bollocks shit f*** and arseholes................................

Martin swain chief sports writer for the express and star says that its a not going to happen.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Latest on the vacant managerial position in the black country

Wolves have asked a box containing wires, microchips and motherboards to be manager.....

...computer said "no"

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I put 50 squid on this earlier @betvictor 12-1

snap..... i had a free £20 skybet at 18/1, but read you cant withdraw money from a free bet, only use it as stake on other shit, so I opened a betvictor account (best odds) and lumped on £50 of my own. Guess we'll be the 2 least pissed off at the Amex :lol:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The Express and Star seem to think Dave Jones is the target. I wonder if a manager has ever been relegated from the Premier League twice with the same club before...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
James Fielden [MENTION=2150]james[/MENTION]_Fielden

I'm told #Wolves are now going back to try and speak to Brighton & Hove Albion manager Gus Poyet for a third time. Compo an issue. #wwfc

Dan Pope Dan Pope [MENTION=12249]Dan[/MENTION]pope [MENTION=2150]james[/MENTION]_Fielden Good source mate? Reckon they'll be able to reach an agreement on compensation? It's getting beyond a joke now.

James Fielden [MENTION=2150]james[/MENTION]_Fielden[MENTION=12249]Dan[/MENTION]pope they told me about Poyet on Saturday before papers ran it on Monday. Been bang on in the past on numerous things.

Dan Pope [MENTION=12249]Dan[/MENTION]pope[MENTION=2150]james[/MENTION]_Fielden Interesting. They must be keen if willing to try a 3rd time. Guess it all depends on compo demands & how badly they want him.

James Fielden[MENTION=12249]Dan[/MENTION]pope less than a year into a five-year deal. GP is desp for PL footy. Depends how long he can wait...

James Fielden [MENTION=2150]james[/MENTION]_Fielden[MENTION=13773]Martin[/MENTION]swain1 also same source that has provided info that has been confirmed by Wolves but never went to press.

James Fielden@jckwrd [MENTION=13773]Martin[/MENTION]Swain1 same source also that told me Guedioura was going on loan before anyone else. Trusted!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It seems a very long drawn out affair to me really going nowhere. If I were WWFC I would just appoint the best available short-term then have a re-think in the summer and see who is available.

Clearly Bruce is not the one they want.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
James Fielden [MENTION=2150]james[/MENTION]_Fielden

I'm told #Wolves are now going back to try and speak to Brighton & Hove Albion manager Gus Poyet for a third time. Compo an issue. #wwfc

Dan Pope Dan Pope [MENTION=12249]Dan[/MENTION]pope [MENTION=2150]james[/MENTION]_Fielden Good source mate? Reckon they'll be able to reach an agreement on compensation? It's getting beyond a joke now.

James Fielden [MENTION=2150]james[/MENTION]_Fielden[MENTION=12249]Dan[/MENTION]pope they told me about Poyet on Saturday before papers ran it on Monday. Been bang on in the past on numerous things.

Dan Pope [MENTION=12249]Dan[/MENTION]pope[MENTION=2150]james[/MENTION]_Fielden Interesting. They must be keen if willing to try a 3rd time. Guess it all depends on compo demands & how badly they want him.

James Fielden[MENTION=12249]Dan[/MENTION]pope less than a year into a five-year deal. GP is desp for PL footy. Depends how long he can wait...

James Fielden [MENTION=2150]james[/MENTION]_Fielden[MENTION=13773]Martin[/MENTION]swain1 also same source that has provided info that has been confirmed by Wolves but never went to press.

James Fielden@jckwrd [MENTION=13773]Martin[/MENTION]Swain1 same source also that told me Guedioura was going on loan before anyone else. Trusted!

Gus has already stated how long he is prepared to wait.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon

If gus goes there he will have 3 months pl footy. because they are going down.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I think its disgraceful how Wolves have conducted themselves over this. Going after other clubs managers so publicly.

If Gus want's to speak to them then let him go. I will be so very disappointed by it, actually I have been disappointed he has not just come out and said I am not interested.

Its all getting a bit silly and cannnot be helping the players.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Posted earlier today from an original story posted last night...

I'm here to stay: Wolves fail in bid to poach Poyet from Brighton

Gus Poyet revealed Wolves had approached Brighton to secure the manager's services but insisted he 'never had a decision to make'.

Wolves are on the hunt for a new boss following the sacking of Mick McCarthy after five-and-a-half years in charge.

Steve Bruce and Alan Curbishley have been touted as the frontrunners for the vacancy at the Barclays Premier League strugglers but Poyet also appears to have been on the radar at some stage.

Wolves have previously denied reports they have made an approach for Poyet who, though, spoke after his side's 0-0 draw at Hull.

'There was an approach but it came and went. I didn't have any decisions to make, anything to think about. I was not involved at all. It was not difficult for me, I was not involved at any time.'

The Uruguayan signed a five-year deal with the npower Championship Seagulls in September 2011 and despite admitting he is keen to manage in the top flight, he feels he could fulfil his ambitions with at the Amex Stadium.

'I've said a few times that we all aim for the same - players want to play at the highest level, I want to manage in the Premier League,' the former Chelsea midfielder added.

'At the moment the easiest way will be in the next two or three years or whatever it takes with Brighton. If we don't then I need to move on because I want to manage at the top. I'm not going to lie to people. I don't want to wait 20 years but it doesn't need to happen now.

'If something happens or comes along I will think about it, talk to the chairman - he's the main one - and we'll see. These are all the things you cannot control so I'm relaxed about it.'

Having led Brighton to the League One title last season, earning the manager of the year award along the way, the 44-year-old is content to continue shaping the south coast club's future.

'I'm very lucky where I am,' he added. 'I can get the players for the style I play, I can get involved in the new academy and part of the building of the new training ground.

'It's a great place to be. I'm saying I'm not in a hurry, I signed a long-term contract because I want to be here.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I think its disgraceful how Wolves have conducted themselves over this. Going after other clubs managers so publicly.

If Gus want's to speak to them then let him go. I will be so very disappointed by it, actually I have been disappointed he has not just come out and said I am not interested.

The fact that he has not said, he is NOT interested I think is very telling..He has had plenty of chance too.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
IS my £10 to each poster safe yet?

:moo:

Quotes like this from Poyet should make you confident

'I've said a few times that we all aim for the same - players want to play at the highest level, I want to manage in the Premier League,' the former Chelsea midfielder added.
On a high: Poyet won promotion from League One in his first full season at Brighton.

'At the moment the easiest way will be in the next two or three years or whatever it takes with Brighton.

'If we don't then I need to move on because I want to manage at the top. I'm not going to lie to people. I don't want to wait 20 years but it doesn't need to happen now.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

To be fair, I'm not sure they have done this that publicly, just in these times of Twitter, leaks quickly come into the public domain from journalists and those 'in the know'.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
We don't need the money so Bloom will say no just like he did to Cardiff when they came after Noone and Norwich when they came after Bennett last January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here