Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On twitter: #bhafc Gus Poyet after 0-0 draw with Hull bit.ly/y0zqIP

I hadn't given these rumours one moment of serious consideration but when you listen to his answer I'm not convinced he's 100% ruled it out.

Why does he say it's not in his hands? How do these things work then?

It's not in his hands because he hasn't been offered the job. Wolves made enquiries about him but were scared off by his long contract and large compensation. They withdrew, distanced themselves and interviewed other managers.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
On twitter: #bhafc Gus Poyet after 0-0 draw with Hull bit.ly/y0zqIP

I hadn't given these rumours one moment of serious consideration but when you listen to his answer I'm not convinced he's 100% ruled it out.

Why does he say it's not in his hands? How do these things work then?

I imagine he means he doesn't control who offers him a job or when.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's not in his hands because he hasn't been offered the job. Wolves made enquiries about him but were scared off by his long contract and large compensation. They withdrew, distanced themselves and interviewed other managers.

And wolves hav stated they havn't made an approach if u believe som in the media

turnstiler

Ex North Stand Turnstiler
Mar 6, 2009
Cologne, Germany

Thanks for that Thunder Bolt. Sometimes it's far too easy to read too much into what's an obvious answer.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It seems Gus isn't going to Wolves, due to the compensation issue, and it also sounds like he's not particularly upset about not being able to talk to them.

If Wolves come back and decide to pay the compensation though, as they simply don't seem able to get anyone else in, then who knows what will happen.

Not sure why they arn't going for the ex-wolves 'managerial miracle' up at Palace though.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
There's 3 ways of looking at the outcome of this : TB says a straight NO, Gus says I want to go and TB says right I want the full compo on Gus's contract( inwhich case I think Wolves will crap themselves and back off), Gus says I quit ( won't be the 1st to try this and I'd hope TB would have the balls to say not accepted your'e on gardening leave for the rest of contract). The whole thing is a distraction for the club and players, Gus needs to just say he would only look to leave if a really good offer came, Wolves IMO is not worth thinking about, and that he's here to see it through. As much as I like Poyet and what he's done so far at the club his statements at times leave you with the impression that he's always leaving the door open. It's 2 edged in that TB might one day say as much sucess as he brings we can't go on like this , goodbye.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Gus isn't going anywhere at the moment. If you read between the lines then you can see he is committed to spending 3 or 4 years here getting us into the premiership and then he wants a move to a big name club, I would imagine Spurs or Chelsea. I don't mind him being honest about his ambitions, certainly better than all that faux commitment you get in football and then they f*** off at he first opportunity like Adams. Football is a murky game, there are very few genuine people who say what they mean, but I actually think Gus is pretty straight. The good thing about all this is it shows how far we've come as a club, compare it to a few years ago with the whole Coppell Reading saga.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Even if Wolves said they'd pay the compensation and got to talk to him, it doesn't mean he'd go. The fact that Curbishley has knocked them back twice because he didn't agree with the Chairman's vision suggests that whoever takes over is not going to get free reign to do whatever he wants. And I cant see Gus going for that kind of job. Wolves need an Allardyce to come in and keep them up at all costs, not a Poyet to re-shape the way they do everything from the tea lady upwards with a 5 year plan.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Walter Smith has been offered the job. [source: Local gossip]

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Wolves have a chairman who made a rash emotional decision after a derby defeat and has then proceeded to expose himself as a clueless idiot desperately trying to pluck a manager from anywhere.

I am sure gus is chomping at the bit to work for him rather than the balanced sensible and astute tony bloom

He is going nowhere

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here