Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

Oct 25, 2003
I can't understand why Morgan and Moxey would let a £2,000,000 transfer fee put them off. I didn't think Poyet would be interested in the Wolves job, and I'd have expected Bloom to fight tooth and nail to keep him. However, if I were Steve Morgan I'd pay five or six million plus to bring Poyet to Wolverhampton. I've long considered Gus to be not just good, but a future great. Even if he couldn't keep Wolves up this season I'm sure he'd lead them to promotion in 2013; as I'm convinced B&HA will be very close to The Premier League in 2013 if Gus Poyet is still at The AMEX.

i agree....if they think that poyet is the man to keep them in the premiership then surely £2m is worth the gamble?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I can't understand why Morgan and Moxey would let a £2,000,000 transfer fee put them off. I didn't think Poyet would be interested in the Wolves job, and I'd have expected Bloom to fight tooth and nail to keep him. However, if I were Steve Morgan I'd pay five or six million plus to bring Poyet to Wolverhampton. I've long considered Gus to be not just good, but a future great. Even if he couldn't keep Wolves up this season I'm sure he'd lead them to promotion in 2013; as I'm convinced B&HA will be very close to The Premier League in 2013 if Gus Poyet is still at The AMEX.
Given that they're scrambling around after Curbishley, Bruce, Warnock before Poyet, then McDermott, then Curbishley again it doesn't seem like these are guys with much of a plan or long term vision.

£2m for Gus doesn't seem that much really though, for them or for us. I suppose if all managers go for much less than players than it is proportionally a lot but still... £1m for Craig Noone, £2m for Poyet doesn't seem quite right (assuming it's true).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Seem an appropriate place to post this (plus it qualifies me for the £10):

Reading have extended McDermott's contract, in response to Wolves' interest.

This evening it has been announced Malky Makay's contract has been extended.

Have wolves looked at MM, or are cardiff anticipating it, or just coincidence? How many more contract extensions can we expect in the coming week? Big Sam? Adkins? Holloway? Hughton?

superwomen

Apr 19, 2011
Hove
quite frankly why can't the Club put this one to bed and say he not going anywhere and why on earth should he go to Wolves when he down the picking order !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
quite frankly why can't the Club put this one to bed and say he not going anywhere and why on earth should he go to Wolves when he down the picking order !

It's a non story that doesn't deserve a statement which would quantify something. Wolves made enquiries to our board who told them that Poyet had a 5 year contract, it would cost a mint in compensation so Wolves lost interest and have distanced themselves. This has been reported in several media. Other managers have been interviewed since.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Gus has said he's not going anywhere. Story over!

Has he? Certainly hope so as the whole episode needs putting to bed once and for all. For whatever reason it seems to have caused an undue "low" around the place with rumours of CMS being unhappy and a general feeling of anxiety and unsettlement. I know it coincides with a bad cup defeat but we should be buouyant what with being unbeaten in the league for two months and on the edge of the play-offs. Instead we have Gus saying that Sunday means we have ideas above our station. It needs sorting.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
At last. Was this when he was interviewed after the match? Has he finally said that he's not going to Wolves?

yeah on Jonny Cantor's twitter page.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Seem an appropriate place to post this (plus it qualifies me for the £10):

Reading have extended McDermott's contract, in response to Wolves' interest.

This evening it has been announced Malky Makay's contract has been extended.

Have wolves looked at MM, or are cardiff anticipating it, or just coincidence? How many more contract extensions can we expect in the coming week? Big Sam? Adkins? Holloway? Hughton?

That's right - it's a game of 'musical contracts' and the last one to get a 3 year extension has to go to Wolves - looks like it's Freedman then.

turnstiler

Ex North Stand Turnstiler
Mar 6, 2009
Cologne, Germany
At last. Was this when he was interviewed after the match? Has he finally said that he's not going to Wolves?

On twitter: #bhafc Gus Poyet after 0-0 draw with Hull bit.ly/y0zqIP

I hadn't given these rumours one moment of serious consideration but when you listen to his answer I'm not convinced he's 100% ruled it out.

Why does he say it's not in his hands? How do these things work then?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Radio Sussex didn't have the interview with Gus as they ran out of time after speaking to David Burke the new man who has taken over from Stephenson, he sounded very enthusiastic and well into the job. They did however ask Warren Aspinall if there was any truth in the rumour and he said exactly the same as CO at the press conference about Gus name cropping as we improve. He then said that Gus had a long contract with plans for the future and a great relationship with TB why would he want to go to Wolves?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here