Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Last Times rich list he was worth £390m.
As for the club, we are the only Premier League club that are not in debt. In fact according to the last figures, we had £25m in the bank.

IF Wolves have £25million in the bank, and IF they really wanted him as their manager, then they would be morons to back off over a paltry £2million compensation payment. Either he is the manager they see as the right man to revive their fortunes, in which case the £2million is small change, or he isn't, and the figure is irrelevant.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Poyet is currently 8/1 for the Wolves post

Meanwhile he is 20/1 to be next Spurs manager and same price to be next Chelsea boss

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
IF Wolves have £25million in the bank, and IF they really wanted him as their manager, then they would be morons to back off over a paltry £2million compensation payment. Either he is the manager they see as the right man to revive their fortunes, in which case the £2million is small change, or he isn't, and the figure is irrelevant.

Is there not the option of the right manager at the right price? They may think that Gus would be their man and a good fit but don't want to spend £2 million on a Championship manager, as they may not see it as good value for money. That's 8% of their cash reserves gone, and I'd imagine they didn't get to have that bank balance by making uncertain financial decisions.

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne

I think that the current problem is that they want to appoint someone for the short term - that would not be Gus Poyet. For a start he would be a fool to leave if it was only a 13 game contract.
If it was me, I would get Wilkins in for the short term, then pay the £2m in the summer to get Gus, with Wilkins moving to the role he did so well at Chelski.
I'm not Morgan or Moxey, unfortunately I have no idea what's going on in their heads. The timing of sacking MM was astounding and something that Moxey did not want to happen, but unfortunately Morgan had a mad 5mins and told Moxey to get rid.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Surprised this is still rumbling on TBH - it's not going to happen.

Gus in on record as saying it would have to be something 'very special' in the future to tempt him away (i.e. Spurs). But not Wolves!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Terry Connor is the steamer in today's Market, down from 50s to 10s ..takes me back to the diving header in front of us to win it at 3-2 away to HULL wouldn't you know, the first 30 mins the best we've ever played to go 2 up....it couldn't could it??

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Surprised this is still rumbling on TBH - it's not going to happen.

Gus in on record as saying it would have to be something 'very special' in the future to tempt him away (i.e. Spurs). But not Wolves!

Some people seem desperate to paint Gus as a treacherous back stabbing liar that would jump ship at the first opportunity though!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think that the current problem is that they want to appoint someone for the short term - that would not be Gus Poyet. For a start he would be a fool to leave if it was only a 13 game contract.
If it was me, I would get Wilkins in for the short term, then pay the £2m in the summer to get Gus, with Wilkins moving to the role he did so well at Chelski.
I'm not Morgan or Moxey, unfortunately I have no idea what's going on in their heads. The timing of sacking MM was astounding and something that Moxey did not want to happen, but unfortunately Morgan had a mad 5mins and told Moxey to get rid.

Surely, the only reasons for appointing someone on a short-term basis would be if they had a specific target who will be free in the summer, or just more chance of other people being available in the summer. I agree, GP would certainly not take an interim role.

Ooops - nearly forgot to claim another tenner for that.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Does anyone else think £2m is rather cheap for Poyet!?
Noone was £1.2? was it Cardiff offered?
No disrespect to Noone but how can Poyet only be worth £800k more to us? Seems a ridiculously low amount.

Indeed. Never understood the reluctance of clubs not to pay out for managers. They're the most important part!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Does anyone else think £2m is rather cheap for Poyet!?
Noone was £1.2? was it Cardiff offered?
No disrespect to Noone but how can Poyet only be worth £800k more to us? Seems a ridiculously low amount.

Especially as Steve Bruce earned Wigan £3m when he went to Sunderland.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
the whole thing is a giant cock-up by Wolves, turned down twice by Curbishley, how embarrassing is that, so who ever goes in will know they really weren't wanted that much. Why would anyone want the job now? Hope TC gets a fair crack at it though.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
A Wolves based reporter just been on SSN said they have been talking to managers out of work and managers who are currently at clubs, could possibly have a manager in place by friday but more likely Connor to be in charge this weekend.
The silence from the club has been no different to what its been like on all our transfers recently, its just how we do business now
..........and thats my tenner sorted :)

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
So 2+2 can equal whatever you please, then you choose to post that on here?

I'm just wondering if it has occurred to you that this 'deafening silence' as you call it, is because there is nothing to report?

I don't know one way or the other - but as least I'm not posting my wild suppositions as fact.

Well, for sure, I don't particualrly care about the deafening silence per se, but when there are direct quotes about refusal to comment it just puts a small hint out there that there is something going on.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/9542398.Poyet_a_target_for_Wolves_job/

The relevant quote is Poyet and chairman Tony Bloom both refused to comment last night on Wolves’ interest.

This was repeated in an article earlier today.

To me this is different to there being nothing to comment on, or them being too busy or whatever. It was a deliberate statement of saying nothing - it would have been just of easy to say 'Gus isn't going anywhere'.

Maybe this is just 'wild supposition' - It's something I am worried about, and I fear it means Gus will go - we still haven't had a clear statement on this, so I also fear things are still playing out.

If you want to trivialise my view by throwing out insulting remarks about me posting opinions as fact - then just do as you please, I don't care, BUT this is a genuine concern ( opinion NOT FACT to be clear ) that I have and as such I feel it's a valid point.

Time for a :drink:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Well, for sure, I don't particualrly care about the deafening silence per se, but when there are direct quotes about refusal to comment it just puts a small hint out there that there is something going on.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/9542398.Poyet_a_target_for_Wolves_job/

The relevant quote is Poyet and chairman Tony Bloom both refused to comment last night on Wolves’ interest.

This was repeated in an article earlier today.

To me this is different to there being nothing to comment on, or them being too busy or whatever. It was a deliberate statement of saying nothing - it would have been just of easy to say 'Gus isn't going anywhere'.

Maybe this is just 'wild supposition' - It's something I am worried about, and I fear it means Gus will go - we still haven't had a clear statement on this, so I also fear things are still playing out.

If you want to trivialise my view by throwing out insulting remarks about me posting opinions as fact - then just do as you please, I don't care, BUT this is a genuine concern ( opinion NOT FACT to be clear ) that I have and as such I feel it's a valid point.

Time for a :drink:
You have nout to worry about if gus goes as managers come and go,not many managers do more than 3 years so he will be off in time anyway:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports