Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
All interesting stuff. Let's hope it doesn't impact prep for tonight's match.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
For goodness sake - it's all very clear. Wolves have either asked or havent' asked. If they have then TB will ask Gus if he wants to talk to them. Gus would be very unlikely not to listen to what they have to offer since he doesn’t know what it is and only an idiot would turn down what he doesn't yet know. Therefore TB would then go back to Wolves and say "Yes, you can talk to him". Gus will then talk to them and consider what they have to say.

Now the important bit. Given the wall of silence, one of two things have clearly happened so far. 1) Wolves haven't asked and the club are saying nothing because they know Gus will consider what they have to say if they do and don't want to say anything misleading. 2) Wolves have asked and Gus is in the process of speaking to them.

Finally - if the latter is the case, given both Curbishley and it now seems McDermott have turned them down, given the way they handled the McCarthy sacking and given they seem to have no clear plan as to what they want in a manager ("all our options are still open" I believe Moxey said), I think it strongly likely that Poyet would turn them down.

As somebody else said, I wish they'd just get on with it and we can put this shit to bed.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
McDermott has said no apparently so Wolves went back to Alan Curbishley with another offer to which he also said no for the second time.

Bit of a fiasco developing - some would say deservedly - but where do they go now? Back to Bruce or back to Gus?

......................... or maybe back to McCarthy :lol:

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
There is also some speculation that the whole business of talking to McDermott& Gus is Wolves trying to talk down Bruce's contract demands by demonstrating to him that there are other candidates.

Football's a murky, duplicitous game.....

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
It starting to make Wolves look a little foolish and amatuer the way this is carrying on, further proof I do not think GP will go

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
For goodness sake - it's all very clear. Wolves have either asked or havent' asked. If they have then TB will ask Gus if he wants to talk to them. Gus would be very unlikely not to listen to what they have to offer since he doesn’t know what it is and only an idiot would turn down what he doesn't yet know. Therefore TB would then go back to Wolves and say "Yes, you can talk to him". Gus will then talk to them and consider what they have to say.

Now the important bit. Given the wall of silence, one of two things have clearly happened so far. 1) Wolves haven't asked and the club are saying nothing because they know Gus will consider what they have to say if they do and don't want to say anything misleading. 2) Wolves have asked and Gus is in the process of speaking to them.

Finally - if the latter is the case, given both Curbishley and it now seems McDermott have turned them down, given the way they handled the McCarthy sacking and given they seem to have no clear plan as to what they want in a manager ("all our options are still open" I believe Moxey said), I think it strongly likely that Poyet would turn them down.

As somebody else said, I wish they'd just get on with it and we can put this shit to bed.

It will carry on until Wolves fill the vacancy, as already said its a bizarre decision to sack McCarthy without lining up a replacement. We are lucky to have a manager like Gus who will be a popular choice for every big club that now needs a manager. Tony Bloom has done a fantastic job managing the club and will have it all under control.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Teletext yesterday said Wolves has dismissed rumors about Gus.

All this makes Wolves look a bit tin pot, sack one and have not ideas about a replacement. With everything being so public and knowing that you are 4th / 5th (or whatever) would you take the job if offered?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It starting to make Wolves look a little foolish and amatuer the way this is carrying on, further proof I do not think GP will go

Indeed. It seems The Power Of Moxey is equal to f*** All squared. What a Clown.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Starting? Seems to add up to relegation dead certs. I thought the silly bids for the Palace clown by Bolton smacked of Panic but this takes the biscuit. It looks like 3 of there top four choices are not interested. Hardly inspiring of confidence in any potential manager.

If they desperately want to stay up they need someone with a rep for Damage controll not someone with a longterm view. So thats people like Slade, Warnock and the geezer who was at Fulham but his name escapes me!

Wolves have screwed the pooch bigtime. I'm not even entertaining ideas of gus going there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If they desperately want to stay up they need someone with a rep for Damage controll not someone with a longterm view. So thats people like Slade, Warnock and the geezer who was at Fulham but his name escapes me!

Jean Tigana :thumbsup:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Have to say the silence was deafening from the club& Poyet yesterday..No 'I'm not interested' or 'refuse to let speak'...
So, we can now assume he'd take ANY premier club, or any 'bigger' club that come knocking not just the 'special' one he previously quoted'??

Sadly, this is true.

It is no longer just a 'special job' which will lure him - any Premier League vacancy other than say Wigan or Blackburn will take him away, unless, like Wolves, they won't pay the 2million or so compensation.

If it's definate the Russian has persuaded McDermott to stay at Reading, I still think Wolves will be back for Poyet, and a deal on compensation could be done.

Again - based on what?

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove

All this makes Wolves look a bit tin pot, sack one and have not ideas about a replacement. With everything being so public and knowing that you are 4th / 5th (or whatever) would you take the job if offered?

I'm absolutely astounded by this ...

I didn't know Teletext still existed! :rolleyes:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

The sacking of Mick Mac was clearly a knee-jerk reaction to them getting humiliated at home to West Brom. I can understand that to an extent, but to have no replacement in the frame when the noose of relegation is staring them in the face again shows stupidity on a monumental scale. The Yam Yams will be gagging on their Pork Scratchings: & God help Moxey & Co. when they get angry...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Gus or his ego? What do you mean?

Do you have an issue with self-confidence and ability?

Most certainly not but his self belief I would surmise would make him think twice that he was never their first choice. If your an out of work candidate, you a more likely to tempted, but, if you are already in one of the best positions outside the premier league then it would need something special to make you move, something Poyet has alluded to.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I heard Mick Mccarthy is looking for work, they should appoint him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here