Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I may be repeating myself here (apologies if I am)

If there is nothing in this story why don't the club at least put our minds at ease by issuing a statement saying something! It's not as if the stock market are going to downgrade our status!!!

By continuing their wall of silence I would assume that Gus has at least had permission to speak to Wolves.

Whoever they appoint, I wish Wolves would get on with it!

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I didnt think there was any chance of Gus going but becasue Gus has never been backward about being forward his silence on this has raised a concern, I see Charlie Oatrway has stated in Argus he does not think GP will go, but I really just want Gus to come out and say "ees nice but ees not right for me"

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

If there is nothing in this story why don't the club at least put our minds at ease by issuing a statement saying something! It's not as if the stock market are going to downgrade our status!!!

By continuing their wall of silence I would assume that Gus has at least had permission to speak to Wolves.

Didn't Gus say 'i'm flattered but I have a job to do at Brighton' a couple of days ago?

I may be wrong!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Didn't Gus say 'i'm flattered but I have a job to do at Brighton' a couple of days ago?

I may be wrong!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

No, it wasn't a direct quote in that Naylor article, just a "we believe he is flattered...". As I've said before in this thread, I think it's a long way from certain that he will go, but just got a feeling he might at least want to talk to them. If he hasn't already.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Wolves have cocked up haven't they? Sacking their manager without thought of who would replace him. It looks like Curbishley was their top target but he turned them down (length of contract?) then they went for Bruce who the Wolves fans seem to hate, so suddenly he wasn't the right bloke. Whilst all of this is going on, Warnock is appointed by Leeds, who could have done a job, and they continue to lose matches. So with all the top 'out of work' managers accounted for they start looking at the 'up and comers' from our league. However McDermott and Poyet are thinking this could backfire with Wolves and Reading/Brighton possibly swapping divisions next season............................................................................................................................................................................which leads me to thinking, when all is said and done, that FREEDMAN is actually now a prime target for Wolves, he ticks a hell of a lot of the right boxes for them!

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Naylor has also been very quiet on Twitter about this, when usually he would be all over it trying to get the scoop. My guess is he doesn't know what's going on, and doesn't want to nail his flag to the mast and look like a dick again!! As he did over last bit of really significant club news - CMS.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Perhaps the club don't realise anyone's still going on about it?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's not a fact that he wasn't the best, .

No, its a fact. Take the Cardiff game. Zaha was anonymous. Peter Whittingham was superb. Thus, Zaha was very clearly not the best player.

Most Palace fans without bias against our own players would agree with me.

Only if, like you, they are delusional. He's clearly a good young player with lots of potential, but to say he's the best player in every game is just silly.
As for the Amex game, I've stated that Williams was the best player = he's one of yours too -its nothing to do with bias against Palace.

He's the most talented player in the league by far.
Now you're just being completely stupid.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
No, its a fact. Take the Cardiff game. Zaha was anonymous. Peter Whittingham was superb. Thus, Zaha was very clearly not the best player.

Only if, like you, they are delusional. He's clearly a good young player with lots of potential, but to say he's the best player in every game is just silly.
As for the Amex game, I've stated that Williams was the best player = he's one of yours too -its nothing to do with bias against Palace.

Now you're just being completely stupid.

Two Palace lads here where I work, when all the big money rumours were being banded about in the transfer window for Zaha, both (who regulary attend Smallhurst) laughed and said it was ridiculous, both exclaming "he has talent but no end product, will be a few years before he is ready for anything bigger" and also " He is not our best player, yonug,talented nut not our best"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Two Palace lads here where I work, when all the big money rumours were being banded about in the transfer window for Zaha, both (who regulary attend Smallhurst) laughed and said it was ridiculous, both exclaming "he has talent but no end product, will be a few years before he is ready for anything bigger" and also " He is not our best player, yonug,talented nut not our best"

Good to hear that not every Palace fan is a dimwit.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not sure Gus or indeed his ego would accept he was maybe 5th or 6th choice for the job and so would reject an offer, which in my opinion would be very much a poisoned chalice anyway.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Reading manager seems to have turned Wolves down.

All the smart money is that McDermott went and talked to Wolves precisely so he could then go and negotiate a new and improved contract with Reading on the strength of it.

Is GP switched on/cynical (* delete as appropriate) enough to be doing the same?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am sure just heard the Radio 5 sports news just say and Wolves trying to prize Gus Poyet away from Brighton...Reading to offer McDermott an improved offer.

I am hoping Gus is using this a a lever to get higher player wage bill...

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Just seen in local Wolverhampton newspaper who have been running a poll for the new Wolves boss,Gus seemed very poular, today they have a new poll but Mr Poyet does not seem to be on it, opefully good news indeed also stated the below
"Wolves again maintained there has been no approach to Brighton for boss Poyet, despite reports to the contrary.

The club are prepared to pay compensation for the right man but it is thought the £2m for Poyet would be too much."

Read more: Wolves fail in fresh Curbishley bid Star

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here