Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
gus isn't really a russell slade/martin o'neill 'firefighter' who gets instant results from under performing players.........he needs time to shape teams into his own image rather than someone elses and in 13 games i can't see that happening

Wolves aren't a hopeless case in staying up, got every chance of winning a couple of games and they'll be ok

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The Wolves job is for 13 games only which is why Steve Bruce turned it down. Would you give up something you have been building from scratch with a 5 year plan, and doing well at it, for a gamble on 13 games?

I didn't know it was for just 13 games although I suspect Gus has a lot of confidence in his own ability. Besides, I'm not making any arguments about whether it would be a good or bad decision, I'm just saying it would be a step up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just reckon he will go if given a decent enough contract, no point deluding ourselves that the pull of the PL wouldn't take him
This is why Bloom was so astute offering Poyet such a long contract with compensation clauses as the rumoured 2 million has put Wolves off straightaway.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
absolutely this, Gus's career path in his own head, see's him at the top of the premier league (whether he gets there is different) its probably to big a jump from us to a top 6 team, and there will be others like Lambert and Rogers ahead of him for a big job, so unless he can emulate either of those 2 (and there is no guranantee of that), the other option is to take a another step towards his personal ambition and Wolves could be just that.

if he did it go it would be a gamble, no doubt about it. But if he could get 1 point more than some of the other PL teams down there, he starts next season as a Premier league manager, just a good season or two from his ultimate dream. You don't think that would ever cross Gus's mind??

I don't think the Wolves team is actually that bad - there's certainly 3 worse in the division and they are certainly under-preforming.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I didn't know it was for just 13 games although I suspect Gus has a lot of confidence in his own ability. Besides, I'm not making any arguments about whether it would be a good or bad decision, I'm just saying it would be a step up.

They only offered Bruce 13 games. Doesn't mean that's what they're offering others.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I see Butch Wilkins has thrown his syrup' into the ring. He told talkSPORT: "I believe there has been a bit of name-searching for the Wolves job and it would be lovely."

:lolol:

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Realistically, it would seem that it will be 3 of the current bottom 5 that will go down, and it could be any 3 of them. Given that, they have a 40% chance of staying up. Looking at their remaining fixtures, I can't see where they will get any more than about 10 or 11 points at maximum, so I think they're pretty well f***ed.
If they were content to allow reelegation and re-building, which would probably be the case with GP (due to the change in style of play, and teaching the players), then why not have kept Macarthy until end of the season. They must be looking for a Russell Salad to keep them up, not a Gus.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I doubt Poyet's dream job is moving to Wolves to help them fight relegation. And if Poyet goes to Spurs in the summer, I'll eat the hat of every member of NSC. They're 3rd in the premier league - when did a club that high last take on a championship side manager, with no top flight managerial experience?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't think the Wolves team is actually that bad - there's certainly 3 worse in the division and they are certainly under-preforming.
In terms of quality players I'd say Wolves are the worst team in the league. Typical Mick McCarthy team of battlers and try hards. Their most skilful players are Matt Jarvis and Michael Kightly...

Anyhoo most media are now pushing the McDermott story strongly. I'm yet to see anything that convinces me there was more than sthe original rejected approach for Gus. Fingers crossed ay.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I doubt Poyet's dream job is moving to Wolves to help them fight relegation. And if Poyet goes to Spurs in the summer, I'll eat the hat of every member of NSC. They're 3rd in the premier league - when did a club that high last take on a championship side manager, with no top flight managerial experience?

that simply wont happen, despite Gus' wishes. Who is going to gamble millions on a rookie (AVB at least won silverware with Porto and he is a flop). they won't, they will want a safe pair of hands with relevant experience.

Put yourself in Daniel Levy's shoes, is he going to gamble his reputation and 10's of millions on an enthusiastic rookie who hasn't even managed in the top flight? of course not.

Gus has 2 choices imho, he does it with us, and that will take a minimum of a few seasons to get there and be competitive (with no guarantee of either), or he jumps to a lower prem team and tries to do with them what he did with us.

I have no fear at all of the spurs job or any top prem team, it will be the lower mid table team he goes to next if he leaves

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
They could do a lot worse.

I agree, but I can't see the Yam Yams being enamoured by such an appointment. I'm surprised he hasn't been snapped-up as a no.2 somewhere since he fell victim to an Abramovich purge tbh. I can't help myself - but I always think of him as the marvelous pundit on the Tango Ad's from bygone times. Smashing Ralph (but my bad).

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Gus has 2 choices imho, he does it with us, and that will take a minimum of a few seasons to get there and be competitive (with no guarantee of either), or he jumps to a lower prem team and tries to do with them what he did with us.

I have no fear at all of the spurs job or any top prem team, it will be the lower mid table team he goes to next if he leaves

Absolutely, and what lower mid table team other than Villa has the same history as a club like Wolves?? It just seems to add up. He probably might not end up going there, due to compo needed, or McDermott being preffered candidate, but I have a feeling he would if the job was offered. That is all I'm saying.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And Gus won't be offered Chelsea or Spurs without any Prem experience, so it could potentially be seen as a short-cut to one of those jobs.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
And Gus won't be offered Chelsea or Spurs without any Prem experience, so it could potentially be seen as a short-cut to one of those jobs.
I see it the other way round. Chelsea and Spurs would want an ambitious manager; ambition is taking a struggling League One side and solidifying them in the Prem for at least a season. Ambition isn't going to a below par Wolves side and keeping them up, or taking them down and attempting to get them back to the lower rungs of the Prem the next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here