Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Anyone saying it would be a step backwards needs to take off their Albion specs. It would be a step up. That said, it would be a shame, because I think we all hope that when he moves, its to a club bigger than Wolves. As really, the aim is for him to take us to Wolves level, and then he moves on.

If he goes now though, I actually think its reasonable timing. We're not going to go down, I doubt we're going up, and it'll give the new man time to see the squad in competitive action so he can make more informed decisions in the summer. I'd like us to get in Karl Robinson if Gus does move on.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Anyone saying it would be a step backwards needs to take off their Albion specs. It would be a step up. That said, it would be a shame, because I think we all hope that when he moves, its to a club bigger than Wolves. As really, the aim is for him to take us to Wolves level, and then he moves on.

If he goes now though, I actually think its reasonable timing. We're not going to go down, I doubt we're going up, and it'll give the new man time to see the squad in competitive action so he can make more informed decisions in the summer. I'd like us to get in Karl Robinson if Gus does move on.

That's a far too rational post for this site.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
well its all about Opinions........ as Brighton fans, its hard to believe he would want to leave us for Wolves, but poyet is not a Brighton fan, the reality is, we are likely to be championship next season (Poyet "we're not ready" etc), i dare say it would be easier to get Wolves from 3rd bottom to 4th bottom, than it will be to get us promoted. he would have a better squad there, and even if he fails, he would still have a better squad and parachute payment.

Poison chalice? what was relegation bound League 1 Brighton playing at the Withdean? when he took over, he would back himself to save them.

I don't want him to go, far from it, but I have long since removed the rose tinted glasses, no manager or player really thinks like a fan, and most of the comments above are written like fans...... players/managers all want to be at the highest level for the most money. I doubt they would offer Poyet or McDermott a short term deal, and if any deal was comparative I honestly fancy he may take it imho.

Premier league today and maybe premier next season (or excellent squad for championship with parachute payment)
Championship today and most likely championship next season

we love Brighton, to them its a job

But when he took over here it was his first managerial position as numero uno; he had very little to lose; the expectations were relatively low & the pressure even lower. How does that situation compare to what he would be taking on at Wolverhampton? Yes, he might be able to turn them around - but the reality is that he has little time to save the sinking ship & bugger-all opportunity to splash the cash. He'll bide his time down here & will believe that the right job will come around at the right time. If he doesn't, I will be frankly astonished.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Jeez, some of the doomsday merchants on here hilarious! Adding up all the variables I really can't see Gus being interested. It doesn't mean he won't talk to wolves, I wouldn't be surprised if Gus has an understanding with bloom that he will be allowed to speak with any prem club if they showed interest, such is their relationship together. From what I've heard or read so far it would seem wolves are only offering a deal to the end of the season with a further option should they stay in the prem, that sounds like a reasonable assumption but can't see how Gus on a hefty 5 year contract would see that as attractive. Gus currently commutes from his home in Kent to the Albion and would have to up sticks and move closer to wolves and I think that is another drawback and have always felt that he will only leave for a big London club so he can remain at home,bear in mind also his son is on charltons books so that must be a factor too. Overall I really can't see Gus being interested in a struggling prem club for the sake of some short term prem football when at the Albion he is pretty much in charge of everything and building the club to his own style and image. I am confident he will be here for a while yet and will only leave for one of the big six prem clubs or for a stupidly long and insanely lucrative contract something I think is unlikely in wolves case.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The Wolves job is for 13 games only which is why Steve Bruce turned it down. Would you give up something you have been building from scratch with a 5 year plan, and doing well at it, for a gamble on 13 games?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Wolves are currently 18th in the league, they need a manager who will get them instant results. I don't believe Poyet can do that, he needs time to teach the team a whole new style of play..

Oct 25, 2003
But when he took over here it was his first Managerial position as numero uno; he had very little to lose; the expectations were relatively low & the pressure lower. How does that situation compare to what he would be taking on at Wolverhampton? YEs, he might be able to turn them around - but the reality is that he has little time to turn round the sinking ship & bugger-all opportunity to splash the cash. He'll bide his time down here & will believe that the right job will come around at the right time. If he doesn't, I will be frankly astonished.

plus he took over us in what, october? november? something like that, so had plenty of time to bring in his own players/teach the existing ones how to play

remember that season he brought in calderon, brezovan, painter, barnes and lualua

there isn't THAT much time left in the premiership season, wolves are in deep doo-doo and it will be a fairly big task to keep them up....oh, and the transfer window is closed

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

Totally agree. If you look at it logically, it makes sense.
Is he going to get offered the so called "special job" when with us any time soon? Can you really see any of the top 6 in Prem, or La Liga offering him a job in the next four or five years?
If we get promoted next season, he would then need to get us pushing for a European spot or win a cup, before one of those clubs even looks at him, which in reality is not going to happen in the next five years.

Look at what Martin O'Neill has done at Sunderland this season. Why wouldn't Poyet back himself to do the same with Wolves? Keep them up this year, invest in the summer, and have them pushing for Europe over the next two seasons. Could be at Spurs in three years time, once Mourinho leaves for Man Utd!

Lush

Mods' Pet
Bruces son twittered his dad wanted the job but Wolves offered him a derisory figure and only for 13 matches, why would Poyet want strings attached and something Bruce sees as poor

Did you witness Bruce Jnr's Twitter spat with Stan Collymore last week? Including "@4alexbruce If Mrs Doubtfire wasn't trailing you along to every club he'd been at,you'd never have got a league game son. Remember that." It was WELL funny.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The Wolves job is for 13 games only which is why Steve Bruce turned it down. Would you give up something you have been building from scratch with a 5 year plan, and doing well at it, for a gamble on 13 games?

13 games only for Bruce.... who knows what they will offer a bright championship manager, nobody would leave a job for 13 games deal...... my guess is they are are looking at the cream of championship for a longer term appointment and assuming the worst.

hopefully Russian Roubles Reading owner fancies Sven and Brian leaves :lol:

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
in addition those of you clinging to the 13 games to prove himself thing. That was when Wolves were looking at managers out of work. They're not stupid enough to think that a manager in steady employment would join under those terms surely. If they are, then good luck with Steve Bruce!
McDermott or Poyet would both want at least two year contracts.

Oct 25, 2003
He would use Wolves as a stepping stone, take them into midtable safety, flirt with the top 8 a bit like Bolton did and the next time the Chelsea or Spurs job came up then he would be favourite.

gus isn't really a russell slade/martin o'neill 'firefighter' who gets instant results from under performing players.........he needs time to shape teams into his own image rather than someone elses and in 13 games i can't see that happening

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Totally agree. If you look at it logically, it makes sense.
Is he going to get offered the so called "special job" when with us any time soon? Can you really see any of the top 6 in Prem, or La Liga offering him a job in the next four or five years?
If we get promoted next season, he would then need to get us pushing for a European spot or win a cup, before one of those clubs even looks at him, which in reality is not going to happen in the next five years.

Look at what Martin O'Neill has done at Sunderland this season. Why wouldn't Poyet back himself to do the same with Wolves? Keep them up this year, invest in the summer, and have them pushing for Europe over the next two seasons. Could be at Spurs in three years time, once Mourinho leaves for Man Utd!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
plus he took over us in what, october? november? something like that, so had plenty of time to bring in his own players/teach the existing ones how to play

remember that season he brought in calderon, brezovan, painter, barnes and lualua

there isn't THAT much time left in the premiership season, wolves are in deep doo-doo and it will be a fairly big task to keep them up....oh, and the transfer window is closed

Indeed - although apart from all that, it'll be an absolutely fantastic move for him. :lol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Oct 25, 2003
and it's not like wolves have brilliant players who are just under performing....they were surely expected to be nearish the bottom of the league at the start of the season

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He would use Wolves as a stepping stone, take them into midtable safety, flirt with the top 8 a bit like Bolton did and the next time the Chelsea or Spurs job came up then he would be favourite.

absolutely this, Gus's career path in his own head, see's him at the top of the premier league (whether he gets there is different) its probably to big a jump from us to a top 6 team, and there will be others like Lambert and Rogers ahead of him for a big job, so unless he can emulate either of those 2 (and there is no guranantee of that), the other option is to take a another step towards his personal ambition and Wolves could be just that.

if he did it go it would be a gamble, no doubt about it. But if he could get 1 point more than some of the other PL teams down there, he starts next season as a Premier league manager, just a good season or two from his ultimate dream. You don't think that would ever cross Gus's mind??

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
When I say Europe, I mean the Europa League!!
I'm not saying they would get into it either, but success at a club like Wolves would be to be finishing top ten consistently.

Success for Wolves would be staying up by having a one goal better goal average than the third from bottom team. They are a history, not a future!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here