Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I think people are reading too much into the "No comment" statements, there are plenty of reasons for no comment. Amongst those are "I'm busy preparing for Hull, go away".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think it's the 'no comment' that's the worrying part. When he has been linked with jobs before, he has quickly trotted out the mantra about wanting "something special" in order to think about leaving.

Plus his absence from press conference this morning. Hope I'm very wrong, but I think he's interested in this one.

Andy Naylor tweeted that the coach picked him up on the M25 en route to Hull as has happened before. He hasn't attended all press conferences.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Even though a bbc report from just an hour ago says Wolves have dismissed reports linking Poyet with the job.
My take on it all, is that Wolves asked Bloom, he told them that Poyet was on a 5 year contract and the compensation was over £2 million and that was the end of that.

That's good news. Any quotes from Poyet on the situation, or is that the end of it? If the rich russian persuades McDermott to stay, will Wolves come back for Poyet? A deal for compensation will be done, if Gus wants to go.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Corals head football odds compiler is a Wolves fan. They have been top price about Gus all day and not taken a penny.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's good news. Any quotes from Poyet on the situation, or is that the end of it? If the rich russian persuades McDermott to stay, will Wolves come back for Poyet? A deal for compensation will be done, if Gus wants to go.

I think that being 4th or 5th choice for a job won't do much to persuade Gus as Warnock, Curbishley and Bruce were already interviewed last week. I think the lack of quotes from Bloom & Poyet are that the matter is not that important to them and the only quote I can find is the Argus one 'The Argus understands the Uruguayan is flattered by their interest but feels he still has a job to do at Albion after signing a new five-year contract. '

Edit to add that Bruce turned them down because the offer was only until the end of the season. Would you leave a club with a secure future and long contract for a gamble on 13 games?

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land

IFIFIF i suppose, I just cant see GP leaving the Brighton "project" which is unfinished for a yoyo club at the bottom of the premier league.
IF Spurs came in for him in the summer, thats a different story but Wolves I just cant see it :albion2:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think Poyet will go, the reason they haven't appointed Bruce is a backlash from their fans, Mcdermott is probably (and sensibly) using the Wolves thing to get himself better than his 1 year rolling contract and a healthy payrise. If Wolves will pay the 2 million (chris Hughton is 5 mill compo??) he will be gone, despite what he has said before imho.

with success or failure people move, its a revolving door and only fans remain loyal, everyone who makes money from the game is simply ambitious and out for number 1, they all say the right things, but how often is it really true?

He said 2 days ago, we are not good enough or ready for the prem, why would he wait, when he has a 2 in 5 chance of being a prem manager next season, or at the least a massive parachute payment and better players.

If he gets a better or comparative deal, another season in the championship with our "not ready" players or a Wolves squad with a fighting chance of staying in the prem or one of favourites next year with a stack of cash to spend?

he'll take it

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I think Poyet will go, the reason they haven't appointed Bruce is a backlash from their fans, Mcdermott is probably (and sensibly) using the Wolves thing to get himself better than his 1 year rolling contract and a healthy payrise. If Wolves will pay the 2 million (chris Hughton is 5 mill compo??) he will be gone, despite what he has said before imho.

with success or failure people move, its a revolving door and only fans remain loyal, everyone who makes money from the game is simply ambitious and out for number 1, they all say the right things, but how often is it really true?

He said 2 days ago, we are not good enough or ready for the prem, why would he wait, when he has a 2 in 5 chance of being a prem manager next season, or at the least a massive parachute payment and better players.

If he gets a better or comparative deal, another season in the championship with our "not ready" players or a Wolves squad with a fighting chance of staying in the prem or one of favourites next year with a stack of cash to spend?

he'll take it

Rubbish

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

he'll take it

Are you on some monumental wind-up, or have you been on the Sauce already? GP will not be drinking from the poisoned Wolves Chalice any time soon. He's not that stupid or desperate.

Edit: Wolves are a very fine club with good support & infrastructure, but they need somebody to keep them in the Premier League this year. For that they will need somebody with experience & a proven track record in the top division(s) - & whatever way you look at it Poyet definitely ain't that person. I've got a feeling that they're gonna struggle to get anybody that will be better equipped than the guy they just sacked tbh, but the board have seemingly (ahem) 'gambled their eggs'...

Last edited:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
...but that's the point of a 5 year plan, to get us into the Premiershit! It wouldn't make sense for him to leave at the moment, end of next season if we're not promoted then that's a different story..

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

he'll take it

Bruces son twittered his dad wanted the job but Wolves offered him a derisory figure and only for 13 matches, why would Poyet want strings attached and something Bruce sees as poor

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.

he'll take it

No he wont.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
well its all about Opinions........ as Brighton fans, its hard to believe he would want to leave us for Wolves, but poyet is not a Brighton fan, the reality is, we are likely to be championship next season (Poyet "we're not ready" etc), i dare say it would be easier to get Wolves from 3rd bottom to 4th bottom, than it will be to get us promoted. he would have a better squad there, and even if he fails, he would still have a better squad and parachute payment.

Poison chalice? what was relegation bound League 1 Brighton playing at the Withdean? when he took over, he would back himself to save them.

I don't want him to go, far from it, but I have long since removed the rose tinted glasses, no manager or player really thinks like a fan, and most of the comments above are written like fans...... players/managers all want to be at the highest level for the most money. I doubt they would offer Poyet or McDermott a short term deal, and if any deal was comparative I honestly fancy he may take it imho.

Premier league today and maybe premier next season (or excellent squad for championship with parachute payment)
Championship today and most likely championship next season

we love Brighton, to them its a job

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports