Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
To be honest I now reckon Poyet is going. If he wanted to talk to Wolves, then his 'special opportunity' that he'd leave for may not be that special at all. He's obviously impatient to get the the Premier League.

Looks like the Reading guy is now first choice for Wolves, but if the Russian in charge wants to keep him he will.

So, sadly, I think it'll be bye bye to Gus, and he'll be leaving with his job here half done.

Still, we can look at Howe, Di Canio, Hill, Robinson, Curbishley and many others - I'm sure the dream of the Premier League for us is still on the horizon.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where does it say that Poyet wanted to talk to Wolves? I've read that they wanted to talk to him but nothing to confirm his interest in that job anywhere.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He'd be showing really poor judgement to go to a sinking ship like Wolves while the Albion are on the up. And he'll never find a more supportive chairman than Tony Bloom if he manages til he's ninety.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I agree with all comments about Wolves ultimately being a step backwards. I just have a very bad feeling about this in my stomach.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Time out of Season

Gus has got his project at the Albion. That's the new buzz word. Wolves need a Project Manager in the long term, but right now they need a coach like Steve Bruce to have a sporting chance of staying in the top flight. That is their dilemma.

If they had waited to the close season, they might have had a chance of getting Gus Poyet. May still do this.

If I were Wolves I would try for Rafa Benitez: if they are big enough ? They might NOT be?

Steven Coppell has the financial degree to sus out the Wolves prospects.

Lee Clarke it is then ??? No chance. Jack Bruce might turn it down ???

Wolves were only 50/50 to go down before they sacked McCarthy, now it is nearer 90%.

Last edited:

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Where does it say that Poyet wanted to talk to Wolves? I've read that they wanted to talk to him but nothing to confirm his interest in that job anywhere.

The 'no comments' from Tony and Gus tell a significant story. We'd only have given Wolves permission to speak to Poyet if we'd sounded out his views first.

Gus will back his own ability to keep Wolves up.

He's gone, unless the man from Reading beats him to it.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
The 'no comments' from Tony and Gus tell a significant story. We'd only have given Wolves permission to speak to Poyet if we'd sounded out his views first.

Where or when has Gus said he wants to go? Or do you know something we don't......

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Wolves are by no means a step backwards, anyone who thinks that is a wally. But they don't, currently anyway, represent a big enough step forward in his career. He will struggle to get the control over any new club like he has here. Rebuilding a club from it's foundations is something Gus seems to be relishing and I don't think he'd give that up for a club in a position such as Wolves

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Where or when has Gus said he wants to go? Or do you know something we don't......

No - I don't know anything more. But it seems to me, after publically stating that the Leeds job was at the wrong time for him, Radio Poyet has been remarkably silent.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

I think it's the 'no comment' that's the worrying part. When he has been linked with jobs before, he has quickly trotted out the mantra about wanting "something special" in order to think about leaving.

Plus his absence from press conference this morning. Hope I'm very wrong, but I think he's interested in this one.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Are Wolves big enough to try an go for Rafa Benitez? NO !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Gus will back his own ability to keep Wolves up.

Even though a bbc report from just an hour ago says Wolves have dismissed reports linking Poyet with the job.
My take on it all, is that Wolves asked Bloom, he told them that Poyet was on a 5 year contract and the compensation was over £2 million and that was the end of that.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Shouldnt read into him not being at the press conference this morning too much, maybe he thinks that all the journalists will ask is "Are you going to Wolves ?" and he doesnt want to answer them, silence is golden and id rather he kept silent then publicly declared he wanted it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here