Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Difficult to argue with that, he would be crazy to leave Reading considering the work he has done and continues to do there. But if Wolves genuinely want Poyet, McDermott or Clark, what on earth are they thinking? All of them have potential to be very good managers, I'm not disputing that. But if you're genuinely intending on staying in the Premier League, surely you must appoint someone with the experience to do it? Steve Bruce will never be a popular manager, I understand that, but the job he did at Wigan was fantastic in my opinion. He got Birmingham relegated, and I think that experience is important aswell because he will have (hopefully!) seen in that Birmingham team what caused the relegation, or what was lacking to survive. For me, he proved at Wigan that he learnt the lessons of Birmingham and was a better manager for it. He's the only manager I would want until the end of the season, if I were a Wolves fan.

Exactly. They need the Premiership equivalent of Salde- a motivator that can get the best out of a pretty average bunch of players. By all means look for a manager with potential like McDermott or Clarke next season, but they need a manager that's been there and done it if they are to have any chance of staying up.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
So they're after a firefighter. Someone who can either keep them up, or all but guarantee that they'll bounce straight back up if they do get relegated.

In other words, someone who will get about 18 months in the job, if he's lucky. Mmm, attractive.

That does tend to be the way with any job that comes up in the Premier League, as a rule teams sitting in the top six usually stick with what they've got (except for Chelsea, obviously).

Very few managers in any division ever enjoy the luxury of looking any more than 18 months ahead, because they are always at the mercy of the vagaries of chance. Remember the turn of the year on here? Three poor results and there were people suggesting that Gus had taken as far as he could. Even Ferguson was a match or two away from the axe in his early days at Man U.

One thing that we do have in our favour is Tony Bloom, as his background in football bookmaking and betting probably gives him as much understanding of the nature and realities of football as any chairman in the country. He would not have given GP such a long contract if he didn't think he was worth it, and will do all he can to keep him. He's also less likely to fire him after a few poor results.

But he will also appreciate as much as anyone that the market rates Wolves' chance of playing in the Premier League next season at between 40 and 45pc, while our chance is around 7pc. It's also the case that if he can keep them up, Gus will get much of the credit, while if they go down, a lot of the blame will still attach to McCarthy. And if he's got a 3-year contract, it doesn't really matter if he's gone in 18 months, because he will still get paid.

If Gus is offered the job, it will be very difficult to turn it down.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
So they're after a firefighter. Someone who can either keep them up, or all but guarantee that they'll bounce straight back up if they do get relegated.

In other words, someone who will get about 18 months in the job, if he's lucky. Mmm, attractive.
Only one man for the job then...............Russell Salad!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Wolves would absolutely live Allardyce (if they could get him) and Allardyce is a Wolves fan. If offered he would go I reckon.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
In Gus we trust. Gus has repeatedly stated that he would only leave us for 'something amazing'. Sorry Wolves, Gus isn't going anywhere at the moment.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Telegraph this morning.....

Brighton's Gus Poyet has also been linked with the vacancy but Wolves last night distanced themselves from the Uruguayan

Who or what to believe? :shrug:

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Argus this morning, Gus is flattered but feels he has a job to do here.

Then it follows up with no comment from Poyet and Bloom when asked last night.

That concerns me and suggests there's a significant chance he's off :nono:

Oh well, Di Canio it is for us then...

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
Much as I love Gus, IF he did go then I'd like to thank him for all the fantastic times under his tenure BUT I would also thank him for making it a lot less painful experience due to his recent persistent courting/touting for a premiership managers position. I want a Brighton manager who is totally committed to this wonderful football club & who realises/appreciates what a great chairman he has supporting him, not someone who seems to be constantly hyping up his ambitions to manage either a 'big' club (ie. Leeds) or a premiership club. The club is bigger than any manager, & there will be plenty of high calibre managers queuing up to take Gus's place when he chooses to leave. SEAGULLS! SEAGULLS! SEAGULLS!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
much as i love gus, if he did go then i'd like to thank him for all the fantastic times under his tenure but i would also thank him for making it a lot less painful experience due to his recent persistent courting/touting for a premiership managers position. I want a brighton manager who is totally committed to this wonderful football club & who realises/appreciates what a great chairman he has supporting him, not someone who seems to be constantly hyping up his ambitions to manage either a 'big' club (ie. Leeds) or a premiership club. The club is bigger than any manager, & there will be plenty of high calibre managers queuing up to take gus's place when he chooses to leave. Seagulls! Seagulls! Seagulls!

this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Much as I love Gus, IF he did go then I'd like to thank him for all the fantastic times under his tenure BUT I would also thank him for making it a lot less painful experience due to his recent persistent courting/touting for a premiership managers position. I want a Brighton manager who is totally committed to this wonderful football club & who realises/appreciates what a great chairman he has supporting him, not someone who seems to be constantly hyping up his ambitions to manage either a 'big' club (ie. Leeds) or a premiership club. The club is bigger than any manager, & there will be plenty of high calibre managers queuing up to take Gus's place when he chooses to leave. SEAGULLS! SEAGULLS! SEAGULLS!

I don't see him constantly hyping up his ambitions but the media constantly rehashing a couple of answers he has given to questions in the past about his ambitions. Every time a vacancy has arisen recently, the media have mentioned his name in one way or another.
You will never get a Brighton manager who is totally committed to this club in the way that you think. Poyet is as committed to Bloom as you'll ever get a manager to be. I can't remember any manager signing a 5 year contract before? Surely that was quite a statement of intent?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A number of comments from people, "oh well, we'll move on and get someone better" "bha bigger than poyet, let him go" etc have real echoes of when Murray went last season.

Top, top, top quality up and coming managers do not grow on trees. Tony was fantastic to see Gus's potential and bring him in, but the pool to choose from must be fairly scarce. Perhaps it would be Zola/Wise.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
But remember, if you buy one Gus Poyet, you get a Mauriccio Tarico for free. They love an offer down Enfield way. Or free stuff in general.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they kidnapped the pair of them and burned down the local orphanage.

Indeed. It's a case off LOGOFF (Loot One Get One For Free) is their new BOGOF. :wink:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Rest easy, he's drifting like the Kon Tiki this am in the markets

Perhaps Tony has gone big on the other candidates to drop Gus's price...:D

As i said on the other thread Talksport said last night Wolves were only paying McCarthy £500K a season and they clearly only want to give out a contract to the end of the season (13 games). Gus has a top contract with us, long term and a great chairman, we are on the up, Wolves are on the slide...

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
If Gus leaves for wolves, then fine. It would be like leaving the lifeboat to grab a small piece of driftwood.
Stupid and pointless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here