Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Top 6 is not quite right in my view as think an Everton or Villa is more likely. Only half the Prem clubs he'd consider a good bet though I'd think currently.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Pat Murphy doesn't seem to know very much about things.

I liked the hilarious reporting on 5 Live last week when they crossed over to Pat Murphy following Wolves defeat, introducing him as having his finger on the pulse of all things footie in the West Midlands - Murphy then said although McCarthy was under pressure he believed he would still be in post at the end of the season. A few minutes later the BBC reported McCarthy was sacked. Brilliant.

Murphy is incisive but do find him a bit smarmy with both his footie and cricket reporting. For him the sun always shines out of Warwickshire cricket when they play Sussex.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
As usual, there is doom, then there is gloom and we have "Sir" Tony Bloom! He will ensure our ongoing success for the foreseeable, whatever Gus does in the near or distant future..

Chill out peeps...Far too much pessimism on here today me thinks!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
If poyet was to leave, (and I personally don't think he will, certainly not to wolves anyway) my guess is, he'd sit it out and wait for Harry to get offered the England job in the hope he may get offered the spurs job.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
If poyet was to leave, (and I personally don't think he will, certainly not to wolves anyway) my guess is, he'd sit it out and wait for Harry to get offered the England job in the hope he may get offered the spurs job.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth....

seagullsdaz

May 3, 2009
Brighton
Gus said he would only leave Brighton for a 'special club'. Sorry Wolves that isn't you!

(No doubt as im tucking into my cornflakes tomorrow morning news will break out that Gus is the new Wolves boss) :cry:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If they appoint McDermott there is no way they are staying up.

Difficult to argue with that, he would be crazy to leave Reading considering the work he has done and continues to do there. But if Wolves genuinely want Poyet, McDermott or Clark, what on earth are they thinking? All of them have potential to be very good managers, I'm not disputing that. But if you're genuinely intending on staying in the Premier League, surely you must appoint someone with the experience to do it? Steve Bruce will never be a popular manager, I understand that, but the job he did at Wigan was fantastic in my opinion. He got Birmingham relegated, and I think that experience is important aswell because he will have (hopefully!) seen in that Birmingham team what caused the relegation, or what was lacking to survive. For me, he proved at Wigan that he learnt the lessons of Birmingham and was a better manager for it. He's the only manager I would want until the end of the season, if I were a Wolves fan.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Difficult to argue with that, he would be crazy to leave Reading considering the work he has done and continues to do there. But if Wolves genuinely want Poyet, McDermott or Clark, what on earth are they thinking? All of them have potential to be very good managers, I'm not disputing that. But if you're genuinely intending on staying in the Premier League, surely you must appoint someone with the experience to do it? Steve Bruce will never be a popular manager, I understand that, but the job he did at Wigan was fantastic in my opinion. He got Birmingham relegated, and I think that experience is important aswell because he will have (hopefully!) seen in that Birmingham team what caused the relegation, or what was lacking to survive. For me, he proved at Wigan that he learnt the lessons of Birmingham and was a better manager for it. He's the only manager I would want until the end of the season, if I were a Wolves fan.

I agree with your sentiments, about experience, but why they are dismissing curbishley is beyond me, took over west ham who were certain for relegation and performed a miracle by winning 7 of last 9 games to survive, including Tevez Man U game, not so long ago he was interviewed for England manager. they are barmy to even consider the likes of Poyet, clark and McDermott over Curbs and Bruce.

the clowns running Wolves are making a pigs ear of this situation

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I agree with your sentiments, about experience, but why they are dismissing curbishley is beyond me, took over west ham who were certain for relegation and performed a miracle by winning 7 of last 9 games to survive, including Tevez Man U game, not so long ago he was interviewed for England manager. they are barmy to even consider the likes of Poyet, clark and McDermott over Curbs and Bruce.

the clowns running Wolves are making a pigs ear of this situation

I only didn't mention Curbishley because he's been ruled out, allegedly. But it's exactly what I mean, they should be preferring experienced managers rather than people looking to make a name for themselves. I think they have their priorities wrong, and if I were a Wolves fan, I wouldn't want an up and coming manager. For want of a better example, I would prefer Russell Slade to Jim Gannon. We all know who was more popular at the time, but who got the job done?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I wonder if McDermott is worried about his position once the Russki billionaire takes over. He wouldn't be the first manager to find himself suddenly unemployed once a new owner comes in.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I udderstand from ....?

Lee Clarke: who to f*** ! Never even 'erd of him?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I wonder if McDermott is worried about his position once the Russki billionaire takes over. He wouldn't be the first manager to find himself suddenly unemployed once a new owner comes in.

Did u c a clip of this new owner at the wkd....was too busy taking pics/video of the bird the other side of the previous owner (who looked none too pleased) than to watch the match

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports