Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Of course didnt help Dunk off but biggest problem was having to put Burn at left back against Troure. You could see what was going to happen. He never got near him. Burn is rubbish at defending out wide.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Really?

If the player is renowned for missing 1 on 1s, maybe, just maybe you have a point, but just because he doesn't score loads doesn't mean Dunk should give him a free pass to improve his stats.

So you’re happy with taking a red that far out with pretty much a whole half to play? 80th minute maybe. Not agreeing with you on this one, not worth a red.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Even if they did that they wouldn’t overtake us.

In reality it doesn't make a lot of difference getting 1 point or zero points. You could argue that a point today would mean that West Brom couldn't catch us, but given they need to win all four of their last four games anyway, the likelihood of that happening was always remote. Getting a point today would mean we'd be 11 ahead of Fulham, instead of 10....which wouldn't;t change anything really, as Fulham would also need to win their last four regardless (given the goal difference issue).

So - frustrating as it was to concede in the 90th minute, I don't think it makes a lot of difference.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So you’re happy with taking a red that far out with pretty much a whole half to play? 80th minute maybe. Not agreeing with you on this one, not worth a red.

I think it's a natural instinct for most experienced central defenders.
They've been in that position several times and know the likely outcomes.

If the question was "Did Dunky's decision cost us the match?" then yes it did.
But that's hindsight.

Plenty of examples of teams holding out for 35 minutes and longer with 10 men.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
FFS, nothing to do with a stupid sending off then. And now we blame VAR for not giving a penalty when the vast majority on here hate VAR. Let’s have some consistency.

Part of the reason people hate VAR is because of its inconsistency. Look at the Palace game at their place. Batshuayi kicked his own foot and won a penalty, VAR didn’t intervene. Today, Burn was pretty much rugby tackled to the ground, nothing given, no VAR intervention. It’s causality. If that’s given, as it should have been, and we score, the game is totally different. It’s all hypothetical of course, but it’s a poor refereeing decision that has shaped the game just as much as Dunk’s red IMO.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Did anyone see on Adama Traore just prior to him coming on. He was plastering some kind of oil on his arms. Was it to stop BHA players holding on to him and easier for him to slip away. Strange, but effective considering the result.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course didnt help Dunk off but biggest problem was having to put Burn at left back against Troure. You could see what was going to happen. He never got near him. Burn is rubbish at defending out wide.

Burn is a decent defender, but I'm surprised GP didn't make changes to put someone else on Traore rather than Burn, because Traore has definitely got the drop on BDB. BDB to the centre, move White to the left to look after Traore - or bring on Alzate to track him, or even put Moder on him?
Various possiblities - maybe none would have worked any better, but I feel GP made a tactical error there in not changing things round to target the obvious danger.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I'll be so pleased when this season is over. It has been the most frustrating of our 4 Prem seasons so far by a mile.

A manager and team that seem to fall apart in the second half time after time. I've lost count of the number of times we have played against a weakened side and failed to take advantage of our first half superiority. It is a serious problem.

Once again another weekend spent relying on other teams results.

Potter out poll please.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I think it's a natural instinct for most experienced central defenders.
They've been in that position several times and know the likely outcomes.

If the question was "Did Dunky's decision cost us the match?" then yes it did.
But that's hindsight.

Plenty of examples of teams holding out for 35 minutes and longer with 10 men.

I think most CBs these days let him go, otherwise we’d be seeing a lot more red cards. You make it sound like it’s a regulation taking a red. I just don’t see that, it’s panic and a mistake. Composure and good instant decision making you’re letting him go. Rush of blood basically - never usually ends well on a football pitch.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I'll be so pleased when this season is over. It has been the most frustrating of our 4 Prem seasons so far by a mile.

A manager and team that seem to fall apart in the second half time after time. I've lost count of the number of times we have played against a weakened side and failed to take advantage of our first half superiority. It is a serious problem.

Once again another weekend spent relying on other teams results.

Potter out poll please.

Weakened. :lolol:

What is it with this term. Have we not been weakened by injuries for the lion’s share of the season.:shrug:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Extremely frustrating!

I really don't know if we 'deserved' to get the points (or a least something) for the first half superiority or 'deserved' nothing for profligacy, carelessness and sitting back in the second half.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Yeah I get that side of the argument but it's got to be harder to defend a lead with ten men than it is to try and reclaim a lead with eleven :shrug:

Part of the beauty of football though I guess, thousands of people watching the same thing and having vastly differing opinions on it all.

This, LD was beyond stupid ! You would think that a professional footballer would be able to work out in his mind that,
A) a red card is a foregone conclusion, B) the remaining 10 have to see out the game for the last 40 minutes, and C) he will be unavailable for 1 fixture min. (?)
Additionally he does himself no favours in the eye of Southgate despite scoring an excellent headed goal.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
The issue is, as much as that was a very poor decision by Dunk, he was forced into making a choice because we came out of the sheds half asleep. Too many times this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the same. An easy pass through three of our defenders caught upfield and out of position. Pretty dire when you do t have the pace to do anything about it.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Of course, as seen in the comments here.

Dunk pretty much single handedly ****ing the team over today with his unnecessary red card = oh well, its cool...

Maupay getting a silly red card after the game is already lost = he is a "humongous ****" etc

The usual bullying from the usual set of useless people.

I think you will find that quite a few on here are not as forgiving of Dunk as you make out. Regardless you cannot excuse Mauoays needless sending off whichever way you cut it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Of course, as seen in the comments here.

Dunk pretty much single handedly ****ing the team over today with his unnecessary red card = oh well, its cool...

Maupay getting a silly red card after the game is already lost = he is a "humongous ****" etc

The usual bullying from the usual set of useless people.

Bit harsh.....

This is a discussion forum......

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Potter out poll please.

FFS with the childish need for polls. Your opinion on Potter has changed after one result?

Would you have asked for a poll if we had won? Doubt it.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
My point is he was our top scorer last season and is so this season. If we are better off without him then whoever this better goal scorer is clearly hasn’t been doing it so far ?

Well Maupay has certainly been given more than enough opportunity. More so than anyone else . Bloom ashworth carry blame as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here