Woeful season, but potentially invaluable lessons learned for the future?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
I know it's not possible for various reasons, but if we were to start next season with Upson, Bridge, Tex and Darren Bent )or Patrick Bamford) as the spine of the team, all on loan, I would be delighted, and would be quite happy to suggest to those who keep moaning that loanees are the worst thing ever that they should go and do one!
Borrowing players is a useful way of getting players in the team that you could never afford to buy, or pay their full wages. Four season long loans as good as the four I mentioned above - that'd be a great bit of business!

its not my full quote you have used there and i'm not against the use of loan players. if you need one or two mid season to cover injuries or strengthen a weak position then thats great but they should only come from teams a league above you to assure quality.

using 6 or 7 loan players in the squad to cover up that we did poor business or maybe missed the targets we wanted is bad for any team as our position in the table shows

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Can I add:

Dont buy top scorers from lower leagues as MAIN striker it doesnt ****ing work - CMS, Ballsack. Or spanish midgets that may need bedding in - Clunge.

Unless they happen to be Troy Deeney, Calum Wison, Jordan Rhodes, Britt Assombalonga, Glenn Murray, Adam Le Fondre and Vicente. To name just a few.

Was going to say. A bit of a generalisation there! Where are these free scoring strikers going to come from then?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
its not my full quote you have used there and i'm not against the use of loan players. if you need one or two mid season to cover injuries or strengthen a weak position then thats great but they should only come from teams a league above you to assure quality.

using 6 or 7 loan players in the squad to cover up that we did poor business or maybe missed the targets we wanted is bad for any team as our position in the table shows

Getting them in to strengthen a weak position suggests not doing good business in the first place! Short term loans seldom seem to work out well (not for us anyway). Four quality loans in the squad from the start (and where did I make any suggestion of 6 or 7?) would be great business, not poor business or missing targets at all.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One > zero. You were wrong. 100% wrong. You can't be more wrong.

Regardless, I still stand by Hughes (Jul 14th), COG (Jul 18th) - so that's three without me even thinking, looking or trying to make a pedantic point.

Beyond that we could argue the toss on August signings, the likes of Baldock, Holla and Bennett. The fact is most clubs make signings after the season begins. We clearly did more than is ideal, however.

Have it your way if it makes a difference to you. We got one target in the summer, so I'm 100% wrong. :shrug:

You really consider Hughes and COG to be "targets"? They were both only clearly going to be squad players as far as I'm concerned. Hughes is about 44, FFS.

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
Getting them in to strengthen a weak position suggests not doing good business in the first place! Short term loans seldom seem to work out well (not for us anyway). Four quality loans in the squad from the start (and where did I make any suggestion of 6 or 7?) would be great business, not poor business or missing targets at all.

you didn't say 6 or 7 at all but at one point in the season i believe we had 6 or 7 in the squad with 5 being played in the starting line up ( november i believe )

strengthening a weak position may not be about bad business at the start of the season but some players do get found out as the season goes on

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have it your way if it makes a difference to you. We got one target in the summer, so I'm 100% wrong. :shrug:

You really consider Hughes and COG to be "targets"? They were both only clearly going to be squad players as far as I'm concerned. Hughes is about 44, FFS.

Yes, they were targets. Hughes is a still-current international centre-back with heaps of Premier League experience that was a perfect back-up to Dunk and Greer when required. We didn't need a first choice centre-back. We got exactly what we wanted.

And, yes, COG was a target that was also landed.

As I say, this isn't a debate about whether our targets were right or not - history clearly shows that they weren't, particularly on an attacking front, but you said we didn't get any. In fact you said we didn't get ANY, using capitals to emphasise the point. The fact is we did get our targets, and this doesn't even include Baldock who was our number one striking target.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm ok being outed by [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] as having the skills of a inept Iraqi propagandist but being accused of beng a club employee is a really low blow.

PS: my job details are on my NSC About page ...
It's not an accusation, I just assumed you were given your writings. I enjoyed your 16 things series btw.

Apologies if I've caused offence.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Its entirely believable. We agreed a fee (finally) with Wolves for Ward and he'd agreed a contract. No other Champ club were in for him.
Then Burnley right at the death, came in and offered him a Premier League contract (average Champ wage 8-10K, average Prem wage 30/40K) which would have set his family up for life financially and substantially more than the club could offer. He chose the Prem Contract. What do you think Ward or the club should have done differently in the circumstances ?

Contract/Fee should have been agreed/signed before the previous season had finished, not when the following one had already started....

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
We got Stockdale in because we wouldn't pay for Kuscak. Honestly, there's not much between the two, but Stockdale cost £1m just to sign, and that's before wages. So whilst Stockdale is up to standard, it wasn't good business really, if you ask me.

I can't remember who our striker target was, but Baldock wasn't secured in the summer, we got him much later than planned. And in the end, he felt like a panic buy.

I do remember the likes of midfielder Adam Clayton choosing mid-table Boro over our tight outfit, though. And that was a familiar tale all summer.

that's wrong. PIG didn't come back because Brighton didn't want him - he was even willing to take a pay cut.

I was annoyed we didn't keep him, but to be fair, when I saw we signed Stockdale I thought it was a brilliant signing, despite how good I think PIG is

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's not an accusation, I just assumed you were given your writings. I enjoyed your 16 things series btw.

Apologies if I've caused offence.

Of course not. Just teasing.
Deserve a ribbing anyhow sometimes for my relentless **** licking as some kind soul put it earlier.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd imagine that out of all 24 clubs in the Championship, about 19-20 of the respective Chairman would've had similar aspirations for the season of a top 6 finish. It's arguably the most competitive league in the world, so it's a bit unfair to hold someone to am optimistic prediction as if it were a promise or money back guarantee.

If football (or sport in general) were so predictable, it'd be very dull - a bit like the Scottish Premier League.

But what about how we're constantly told how incredible and award-winning the stadium and academy are, and the fact of how expensive our season tickets are? The club have got to understand that these things are going to raise expectations that on field matches off field - at the moment the two are MILES apart.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I'm not really sure what there is to learn from this season? It reminds me so much of the 2008/2009 season. We loaned millions of players, signed absolute crap, held on to a manager too long and just finished above the drop zone.

Making the same old mistakes again.....

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I have a lot of time for Tony Bloom,for what he has contributed to his club.What i have realized this season that ourselves (and we are not alone ) just cannot complete financial with many of the ex prems in this league.Anyone thinking that we will spent big this summer i think are unrealistic. This then places huge demands on our scouting of players,and assuming CH is a winner,then unearthing those 35 goals from a striker and attacking midfielder within our budget will be the key.....to top 6......or bottom 3 !

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Come back and start this thread again when the hotel is up and running. Until then the suspicion will remain that real estate is the club's core business, with the footballing side of things an afterthought.

What a load of crap. If someone wanted to build a hotel, they'd just buy a hotel sized plot of land and build it, without the hassle and expense of building a high spec 30K stadium and funding the 10m a year losses that it costs to run the team.

£200M and counting. I'm sure Tony Bloom didn't become a multi millionaire with business plans like the one you're suggesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports