Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean yesterday

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
With the Albion away I thought I would pop along to Withdean to take in Whitehawk against Lewes.

I found it really depressing. The whole south stand, the east and family stands, all the toilet blocks and most of the portacabins have all gone. You would hardly believe that the Albion were ever there. The pitch looked crap and they hadn't bothered to cut the grass beyond the sidelines so the linos were running through grass about a foot high. There was no PA and no catering of any kind. Strangely, the away stand is still there.

I know Withdean was totally innadequate but it did have a buzz about it on match days with 7,000 there. It was almost impossible to think that just over three months ago we were having our promotion party there.

Whilst I only have to think about the cold rainy days when we came home soaked to our underpants to hate the place, I also have some fond memories and it was the ground where I got to introduce my kids to the Albion.

I'm not sure what the future of the place is now it's back in the hands of the council. It's a bloody big and costly place to have just so a few people can run round it a couple of evenings a week. There didn't appear to be enough facilities left to host any kind of event. We had to go in the Sportsman to have a slash.

I wonder if Darren Freeman had a thought, yesterday, for the first ever league game at Withdean when he scored a hat-trick in front of a packed south stand.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Didn't DF score the first English league goal of the new millenium? We had a noon KO on New Year's Day 2000 and he nabbed the first one if I remember correctly ???

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I think because of the time zones it was the first goal in professional football anywhere in the world.

Also, forgot to say I saw Adam El-Abd there yesterday watching his brother Sami. He said he will be back in training in three weeks time. That can only be good news for the squad.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Considering it was a bit of a dump as far as grounds go we did enjoy quite a bit of success there, I'll miss it in a strange kind of way.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I went there a few weeks ago when the hospitality portacabins were being removed. My son said he'd never sat in the away stand so he was pleased it was still there.

They've actually done a good job of reinstating the south bank to how it was. It also highlighted just how good a job kss did on designing how to turn it into a football league ground with such limited resources.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Very sad, in a strange kinda way! hated the place but without it... Well who knows? Just makes what we have now even better..

Have a thought about the predicament the likes of Plymouth are in and how close we were to disappearing into oblivion.. So yes, I will miss The theatre of Trees in a funny kinda way.. It will always remain a part of our history!

Still glad I don't have to go there anymore though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here