Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Withdean visit

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Withdean has to hold the record for most amount of stands at a football league ground
No even close- The Manor Ground had 7, 8 or 9 depending on your definition of a stand.

gettyimages-1036155322-594x594-1.jpg

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Is the North stand the only stand that is still there? Know most stands were very temporary but the away end looked a bit more permanent in style. Looks as though that may have also gone from the pics

Jul 7, 2003
Millets branches in Sussex must’ve sold extra thousands of waterproof trousers over the 12 seasons, each autumn/winter seemed incredibly wet.
Only time in my life I ever bought waterproof trousers. There was always a distinct sound when walking towards the ground of Goretex legs rubbing against each other

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Millets branches in Sussex must’ve sold extra thousands of waterproof trousers over the 12 seasons, each autumn/winter seemed incredibly wet.
I didn’t have a waterproof coat or trousers until we started playing at Withdean, both also came in handy when my sons started playing junior football on Sunday mornings.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My best memory from the Withdean years, apart from the two back to back promotions when Zamora was banging in goals, was the party we had at the Preston Brewery Tap after avoiding relegation in 2009. We had a virtual lock in there, with countless bottles of prosecco and other various beverages, along with the free food the pub used to lavish on us (no wonder they virtually went bust at one point). I remember leaving very happy, then falling asleep on a bench at Preston Park Station and missing several trains back to Haywards Heath. I also don't think I've celebrated a goal so madly as I did Nicky Forster's that day. Perhaps one by Kerry Mayo against Derby in the season we nearly survived under Steve Coppell. But my abiding memories are of one soaking after another, usually along with a defeat, then a load of coats steaming away on the Tap's radiators. Any fire officer going in there would have had heart palpitations.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It's been ages since I thought of the Freeman hatrick (cued to get a bunch of tickets for that game). We had so many brilliant results at that place. Thanks for the reminder.

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020
I had my Sports Days at Withdean.
I also had sports days there. Spent 6yrs unbeaten in Brighton, Hove, Portslade & Newhaven schools 400m events. Ran for B&H Athletics Club up to 18yrs old and was coached by 800m Olympic runner and once 880y European record holder, Chris Carter. Biggest regrets, never breaking 50 seconds for 400m (50.3) and getting the thread back on track, not watching B&HA there.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I used to speculate, right from when we went to Withdean, but particularly when we were having trouble getting permission for the Amex, whether it would have been possible to turn the pitch round, demolish the Sportsman pub (and presumably include it within any hospitality areas of a new stadium), then build, say, a 20,000 capacity stadium (Tim Humphrey wrote an article wondering about this in the second Gull's Eye). Of course, we would have had to relocate the athletics track, but that might have been a lot easier than getting permission for the stadium, especially if a facility that both universities could have shared, along with the athletics clubs, could have been built. I don't think athletics has ever been that popular in Sussex, at least not as a spectator sport (I know a lot of people take part), but you might have built a 7000-8000 capacity venue and possibly attracted the odd British Championships.

I think the main obstacle to expanding Withdean was the Tongdean Lane railway bridge, wasn't it? And local residents would have complained on the basis that the Albion's use of the stadium was only meant to be temporary. However, I wonder whether Dick Knight and Martin Perry ever considered the idea. Of course, I'm glad that no such plan ever got off the ground and that the Amex was built.

Actually, athletics may now get a higher profile in Sussex, given that Hove athlete Amber Anning (albeit that she is normally based in the United States) was part of the women's 4 x 400 metre relay team that won a bronze medal in the World Athletics Championships in Budapest, and that our second best 800 metre runner, Jemma Reekie, is now coached by Sally Gunnell's husband Jon Bigg, and has moved to Brighton.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
I also had sports days there. Spent 6yrs unbeaten in Brighton, Hove, Portslade & Newhaven schools 400m events. Ran for B&H Athletics Club up to 18yrs old and was coached by 800m Olympic runner and once 880y European record holder, Chris Carter. Biggest regrets, never breaking 50 seconds for 400m (50.3) and getting the thread back on track, not watching B&HA there.
I had a sports day there once, representing HGSB in the 100 meter hurdles (that I had never once tried before, or since). I got beaten by about 75 meters, one of the most humiliating days of my life. I did get a nice applause from some cute girls on my way back to the dressing room though. Athletics is way overrated…

I did watch BHA there though…Charlie Oatway broke his leg.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here