Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

withdean v priestfield debate?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Withdean every time. It was ours. It was in Brighton.

I was so pleased when we came home. It was the sign that we weren't going to go away. It was our foot back in the door.

Anyhow Withdean has been our most successful ground.

And I liked the chips.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There is one thing I liked about Gillingham. I used to go on my own. None of my mates were interested.

As a result I used to drive. The peace and quiet of a couple of hours on my own in the car was great - or rather, my music in the car there and sports report and 606 on the way back with no one interrupting.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Prior to Priestfield, living 90 miles from Brighton with a young family had turned me into an occasional attendee at the Goldstone. When we moved to Priestfield I found myself bizarrely living nearer to home games than someone in Brighton and got back into the habit of going to home games regularly, a habit which has continued ever since, with a pause in the MA second spell. So, although the football at Priestfield was mostly awful, it had positives for me.....and when I sit in the North Stand at the Amex I can smile and think of how low we sank and where we are now.

Oct 2, 2008
In some ways I still miss Withdean. I love the Amex and I love the fact we are attracting loads of new fans. I know that this is a new chapter in the life of Brighton and Hove Albion and I am looking forward to the next stage of the journey. However there was something about Withdean, every time I walked under the arch and through the turnstile I thought I am part of the few, I am part of the club. This is the only way I got through some games. Especially when the weather was crap and the football was worse.

Have to agree with that. I love the Amex but at Withdean I definitely felt more closely connected to the club. That and being able to drive to games are the only things I miss about Withdean.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It really is pretty irrelevant in terms of which was/ was not the crappiest place you ever saw the Albion play.

What matters is that the entire experience, Priestfield and Withdean, however horrible either was irrespectively, no other club will ever have such an amazing episode in it's history, and that is something which we must always treasure.

It all adds something wonderful to an amazing football club and, given where we are now, all the more so !

Last edited:

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
Have to say priestfield was great from a travel perspective as I only live 15 mins away shame we were so sh*te then!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here