Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean music

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Re: Attila is the King

beadman said:
Keep 'em coming Attila old boy. Top quality music policy, powerful & stirring stuff. Untampered sounds from the heart & not stuff to subsidise record execs' coke habits Please, please nothing that would ever be played in a health club.

The Clash The Ramones The Undertones The Jam .. what more can we ask for ...keep it up :clap2:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah ok, let's get in a Southern FM DJ to play the same easy-listening, bog-standard formularic crap that they play day in day out. Let's ditch 'Sussex by the Sea' and come out to 'Simply the Best'. Lets have music after the goals and a nice cuddly mascot. Let's change the things that make us different (and better) than almost every other club.

Attila should only stop playing the stuff he does if he replaces it with more poetry.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
PS - I should point out that I find most guitar-based bands boring and repetitive as they endlessly re-cycle the same chords and song structures. And yes, Batterseagull you are correct, it isn't probably that representative of the Withdean crowd - you'd have to include a large proportion of Perry Como stuff to be that - but it's US and it's DIFFERENT.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Naylor can keep his nose out of it, he's a Stoke fan and I don't give a shit about what he says. I do, however, care a lot about what my fellow supporters think.
If you don't like punk rock/guitar music and want the same corporate stuff you'll get at other grounds - sorry, you won't get it from me! But I do play stuff which is chart based and a hell of a lot of it is modern - the one criticism I won't accept
is that it's all old stuff, I love loads of new bands, play loads of new chart stuff and at the moment would play the entire new Libertines album if I thought I could get away with it!

This debate comes up regularly both here and elsewhere and as far as I can tell
the majority of those who are bothered about it (we're there for the football!) support my choice of music. If I had conclusive proof they didn't I'd resign my DJ bit. I'll never play commercial pap and there is an official Phil Collins ban at Withdean!
Attila

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
attila said:
I'll never play commercial pap and there is an official Phil Collins ban at Withdean!
Attila
:clap2: good , keep up the good work attila

Kev the Ape

its all Atilla shit music, :nono:. GOTSB is the only thing i look forward to. The palookville album was brillant thats the only best music i have heard at withdean.

beadman

Aug 27, 2003
Seven Dials
God Bless Attila

If you don't like punk rock/guitar music and want the same corporate stuff you'll get at other grounds - sorry, you won't get it from me! But I do play stuff which is chart based and a hell of a lot of it is modern
:clap2:

Jul 14, 2003
BN2
Nothing wrong with old stuff, so long as it's good.

GOSBTS is good. Clash, Jam, Undertones, Piranhas, all good. (Go on Attila, play 'Boyfriend' - just once!)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I was well impressed with the Prokoviev 'Dance of the Knights' up at Sunderland. Hardly contemporary and, come to think of it, while Dick's at the helm and Leon's in the squad...

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Le Premier Cru said:
Nothing wrong with old stuff, so long as it's good.

GOSBTS is good. Clash, Jam, Undertones, Piranhas, all good. (Go on Attila, play 'Boyfriend' - just once!)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I was well impressed with the Prokoviev 'Dance of the Knights' up at Sunderland. Hardly contemporary and, come to think of it, while Dick's at the helm and Leon's in the squad...

or Getting Beaten Up.....or Cheap & Nasty... oh memories

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
At the end of the day, Attila is right.... we are there for the football as that is what matters.

HOWEVER, the debate is surely about what might help get the lethargic crowd going at Withdean proir to kick off. The evidence so far is that the music played, whether you like it or not, doesnt work on that front. Perhaps nothing will, whether it is house, chart, electro, trance, hip hop, r & b, Perry Como or Prokoviev. But we will never know if it isnt tried.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I don't think it's the choice of music but the variety, I seem to find myself listening to Ash's Shining Star every bloody home game. I don't have a problem with much of the older stuff as it is the stuff I grew up with and like but feel the diet is becoming a bit bland. Batterseagull is right insomuch that a proportion of people's tastes are not represented. I didn't actually like Palookaville that much but it made a welcome change from the usual.

We may all like to have sausage and mash for dinner everyday but after a while we get tired of it and crave something else. Much as like Blondie, the Undertones and the Clash, I would like to hear something else (not the song!). I set a music quiz and I know that amongst my regulars I have punks, Indie kids, pop kids, a couple of dance DJs all taking part because they know that I try make the music as variable as possible and play a few songs they like and know. It doesn't mean following the formulaic crap that is marketed towards prepubescents but searching for a variety.

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
The music which is really good, The Jam, nirvana, Green Day and it was great the Libertines :) . It's much better than some of the crap they play at other grounds, however some people like that kind of music.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BatterSeagull said:
Most of you miss the point. Sure I like Nirvana, Clash, Pirhanas etc but is that representative of the Withdean crowd?

Good point that man :clap: Attila take note! This Saturday we, the Withdean crowd, demand representative tunes like...

- Silence Is Golden
- The Sound Of Silence
- Quiet Riot (I Wanna Riot)

and that ol' seasonal favourite 'Silent Night'

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You'll never please everyone Attila, so play what you want, and sod them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here