Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

With Tony Blooms love of all things Brighton

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Brownfield regeneration

location - Shoreham cement works

content - Indoor ski slope(s) - height from the chalk cliff face already there, Ice rink, restaurant & bar(s)

biggest problem - cost of removing the absbestos from the old cement buildings

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've said before, I've wondered why Mike Ashley didn't done something like this when the times were good in Newcastle.

Invest in all the local teams rugby, b/ball, ice hockey (?), athletics, and so on.
Kit them out in black and white kits, then knock out the replicas in his shops.

Oct 25, 2003
I've said before, I've wondered why Mike Ashley didn't done something like this when the times were good in Newcastle.

Invest in all the local teams rugby, b/ball, ice hockey (?), athletics, and so on.
Kit them out in black and white kits, then knock out the replicas in his shops.

not sure when times have ever been that great under Ashley. There are teams for all sports in Newcastle (well, Athletics is in Gateshead)...I think at one time all the Newcastle teams (and Durham CCC) were sponsored by Northern Rock. The Rugby team are a separate beast as their fanbase is mainly centred around the quite affluent areas of Jesmond and Gosforth and probably wouldn't be that fussed about whether or not their shirts are being sold in Sports Direct. Not convinced Ashley has the money to invest any further than the football club either.

I've got a feeling that all their teams do play in Black/Black and White...might be wrong

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
not sure when times have ever been that great under Ashley. There are teams for all sports in Newcastle (well, Athletics is in Gateshead)...I think at one time all the Newcastle teams (and Durham CCC) were sponsored by Northern Rock. The Rugby team are a separate beast as their fanbase is mainly centred around the quite affluent areas of Jesmond and Gosforth and probably wouldn't be that fussed about whether or not their shirts are being sold in Sports Direct. Not convinced Ashley has the money to invest any further than the football club either.

I've got a feeling that all their teams do play in Black/Black and White...might be wrong
I guess, although I thought Ashley had oodles of money.
Investing in any sport other than soccerball is going to seem cheap!!

Oct 25, 2003
I guess, although I thought Ashley had oodles of money.
Investing in any sport other than soccerball is going to seem cheap!!

i'm sure there's a reason why he didn't/doesn't invest in the other clubs. The Falcons get reasonable crowds but I doubt there's any money in the other sports....Durham CCC would be the most attractive and lucrative I'd imagine

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There were plans for a 5,000-capacity ice rink at Black Rock, but they hit the same problems that the NIMBYs who wanted the Albion at Sheepcote Valley had - lack of appropriate and workable transport plans.

Yes, there, alas, lies the problem, it isn't just an ice 'rink' that is required, its safe seating for a few thousand spectators too, and all the planning applications, transport plans, and of course a shed load of money that that would entail.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Brighton & Hove is seriously lacking in the indoor arena world. The Brighton Centre is awful and not fit for purpose. It's in such a prime position (smack back in the midst of the busiest seafront in the UK), looks abysmal and could be used for so much else.

Start with knocking that pile of shit down and really going for it with an proper, purpose built arena elsewhere. Then crack on with basketball and ice hockey teams and have it as a proper gig venue as well. It doesn't need good transport links if it's in central Brighton.

This with BELLS on it.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Brownfield regeneration

location - Shoreham cement works

content - Indoor ski slope(s) - height from the chalk cliff face already there, Ice rink, restaurant & bar(s)

biggest problem - cost of removing the absbestos from the old cement buildings

The site us still an use, just another minor issue!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here