Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

With the signing of Ulloa, and knowing Gus' preference for playing 4-5-1....

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Is it time to cash in on CMS??

We have Barnes, Hoskins and Dobbie as other striking options and if we sell CMS for 2m before the transfer window closes, that releases a decent amount of money for a top quality centre half. A position I think we all agree requires strengthening.

What are your thoughts NSC?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Is it time to cash in on CMS??

We have Barnes, Hoskins and Dobbie as other striking options and if we sell CMS for 2m before the transfer window closes, that releases a decent amount of money for a top quality centre half. A position I think we all agree requires strengthening.

What are your thoughts NSC?

YES. The trouble is who is seriously going to spend a lot of money on a player who in all seriousness is shite. We will be very lucky to get half what we paid for him

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Koosh
Bruno/Calde Greer El-Abd Bridge
Hammond Bridcutt
3 from Buckley, Lopez, Vicente, Orlandi, Kaz, Barnes
Ulloa

That would be my team so yes cash in on CMS, hopefully frees up for that centre back!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Like the fella but don't see him fitting in. He suits a more direct approach with pacy midfielders driving through the centre or lobbing balls over the top for him to run on to

Unfortunately think we should cash out whilst he's still got some value, won't be worth much if left to fester on the bench for the rest of the season which is where I see him

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
If the system remains the same then I'd say yes and before I get jumped on I have always defended CMS and like I said on another thread, I stand by my comments that he's been asked to do a job that doesn't suit him during his time here. Probably for the best for both parties.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
No. Rather get rid of Dobbie. Only Noddy clubs sell their top scorer half way through a season.

I actually see CMS playing the Barnes or Buckley role now with Hoskins as backup to Leo. I would play him in the Buckley role in the next game, assuming Buckley is crocked again, just to see what happens.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
4-5-1/4-3-3 Really, it's a lot more fluid than some people seem to acknowledge.

I can easily see him starting barnes/ulloa/cms with buckley out or just back from injury absence. Or CMS/ulloa/Buckley if Barnes loses form again.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think it is. If anyone pays a decent wedge of what we paid for him,we could spend the money better e.g on a new centre back.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
No. Rather get rid of Dobbie. Only Noddy clubs sell their top scorer half way through a season.

I actually see CMS playing the Barnes or Buckley role now with Hoskins as backup to Leo. I would play him in the Buckley role in the next game, assuming Buckley is crocked again, just to see what happens.

So you would play a player with no prior experience in the "Barnes or Buckley role" over a) Barnes who is in the form of his life or b) over Lopez who has just started to really come good? Unfortunately as things stand CMS doesn't fit in this system at the moment. I actually think he's dropped behind both Ulloa and Barnes in the lone striker pecking order.

Not really his fault as he isn't that type of player but then again he never has been...

scooter1

How soon is now?

Disagree with this. CMS doesn't have the touch or quality on the ball to play this role. He's an out and out front man who thrives on through balls into the channels. It's obvious this is not how play, or will play, so we're never going to get the best out of him. I think we would accept that it hasn't worked for CMS and sell him whilst he has a value. Dobbie on the other hand is neat and tidy on the ball an, I think does have a future with us. GP said lat week in interview that Dobbie was signed because he didn't know the CMS situation on Aug 31st at 5pm, I read into that, that he'd accepted that CMS was off and was making plans for life without him. He may be our top scorer this season, but he's got 11, it's not a huge amount. If he'd got 20 or even 15 by now, it might be a different story. Of course all this is just my opinion

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
So you would play a player with no prior experience in the "Barnes or Buckley role" over a) Barnes who is in the form of his life or b) over Lopez who has just started to really come good? Unfortunately as things stand CMS doesn't fit in this system at the moment. I actually think he's dropped behind both Ulloa and Barnes in the lone striker pecking order.

Not really his fault as he isn't that type of player but then again he never has been...

Didn't say that. Barnes Lopez and Buckley were all in the side yesterday. Buckley is now injured - play CMS in that role next game and see what happens. I would not drop Barnes or Spanish Dave. I just think CMS could do Buckley's job pretty well and should be given the chance.

No prior experience? He is a professional footballer with a modicum of talent - I would trust that he could adapt. As you say he was not a lone striker before, so he played in a not too dissimilar position to Buckley. Give it a go - Gus said Ulloa was bought to play with CMS not instead of, so without changing to 442, where does CMS play? Buckley or Barnes is where I see him fitting in best.

We do not progress as a club by selling our best players.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I think you have summed up the situation perfectly Bizzle.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
CMS is no longer one of our better players IMO. I would say that offensively, Ulloa, Buckley, Vicente, Hoskins, Orlandi and possibly even Barnes are better.

Didn't say that. Barnes Lopez and Buckley were all in the side yesterday. Buckley is now injured - play CMS in that role next game and see what happens. I would not drop Barnes or Spanish Dave. I just think CMS could do Buckley's job pretty well and should be given the chance.

No prior experience? He is a professional footballer with a modicum of talent - I would trust that he could adapt. As you say he was not a lone striker before, so he played in a not too dissimilar position to Buckley. Give it a go - Gus said Ulloa was bought to play with CMS not instead of, so without changing to 442, where does CMS play? Buckley or Barnes is where I see him fitting in best.

We do not progress as a club by selling our best players.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
When he came on yesterday it sort of looked all over - great shame but cash in if we can

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
I really liked Ulloa but he has had one game. CMS is our top scorer and now has someone else to take the weight off him, we should at least keep him till the end of the season because he can score at this level and it would be terrible if one of our play off rivals got him. His stamina in a game is second to none and that will be particularly important in matches where we are slogging it our for every point near the end of the season, and as Ulloa might not have that kind of fitness or experience that is desired. We also have not seen how he fits with Ulloa, this could be extremely interesting as CMS could grab the ball and press back the defence whilst Ulloa makes the runs etc. Just because a striker has one match don't right off our top scorer. What happens if Ulloa gets injured and we are left with Dobbie, Hoskins and barnes. I love barnes but how many people complain about him and believe he is unpredictable? He is a great second striker, but do you want to be left with Dobbie and Hoskins for him to play with when the going gets tough? Ulloa wont be able to play everygame, and CMS's fitness will compliment the squad. On this site people's views swing like a pendulum, one minute Gus is out, one minute no one ever said anything like it.. Barnes scores two against Barnsley and everyone condemns the haters, then he is dropped and everyone says how he isn't good enough for this level. Smith is on 11 for the season, face the facts that is good, and if you watch other strikes at championship clubs on the same goals they all suffer the same issues CMS supposedly does. We have alot of talent, dont be so keen to rid us of it when depth is what you need for promotion.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I think the issue is where do our priorities lie?

Personally I would rather have a top quality centre back and cash in on CMS.

I think our firepower is sufficient without him.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Cash in and spend it on Virgil van Dijk?
We've already got Hoskins, Barnes, Ulloa and Dobbie, and with youth players likely to start coming through the ranks in the next few years.

I love CMS, but I don't think there's a place for him in the team anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here