Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wise words from the chief executive

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Before and immediately after the stadium opening the Albion performed the amazing trick of going from gates of six or seven thousand to over 20,000. Brilliant marketing (notably the free direct debit offer) capitalised on a huge reservoir of goodwill generated by the long struggle for a new ground. 15,000 regular new supporters appeared on the scene. It was almost without precedent - building a supporter base is normally a glacial affair.

Every single one of those 'JCLs' should be welcomed with open arms by older supporters. Hopefully they are. The newcomers might not have been around when times were tough but they are key to good times in the future. Equally, the club needs to handle the 'new improved bigger than ever' supporter base with kid gloves. It needs to put the mighty season ticket database in cotton wool, nurturing it with care and respect, because, by absolute definition, the names on it are, on average, less committed than those on other clubs' season ticket holder lists.

Doing this now, and for as long as it takes to get the new supporters as bedded in as most of us on this board already are, should be the central part of the Albion's marketing strategy. Go out to attract new supporters by all means, but understand that the person most likely to buy a season ticket next year is the person who is buying one this year. Understand too, that many of those people, especially the newcomers, are starting to fray round the edges. This has something to do with poor performances but it goes much deeper than that (to coin a phrase).

In all honesty, I don't believe that the club's management under Paul Barber has the wit or inclination to understand the problem. They think, by way of a small example, that the ideal way for the chairman to physically communicate with his best customers shortly before season tickets come up for renewal is to send them a folded bit of board masquerading as a Christmas card with a load of players' ('our heroes!') names printed inside. They even think that that is sufficient for members of the club's business networking group.

The problem is that once the new supporters, attracted to the club by a new stadium, good marketing and a fantastic sense of community, start to drift away it will be very difficult to get them back. It's different at Spurs - pee off 5000 supporters and you just send out to Hertfordshire for replacements. Here you can't. The metro managers and corporate rabbiters at the top of the Albion don't, sadly, get it.

Spot on - the Board and the Club's senior staff would do well to heed such wise words. New Year, new approach. To ignore (or to pay lip service to) this posting would be unforgivable.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think some seats are over priced. Mine at Row F. It was so wet against Reading that it was just like Withdean. View is not nearly as good as further back either.

But is getting to and from the stadium that will be the killer for me. Trains to Brighton are OK, but West Coastway is not. Not the fault of the Albion. Trains are bad even when the football is not on. Cheap and nasty. It was standing room only one time I had to take the train on a Saturday off.

I tried cycling for the first time against Reading, but the cycle route is extremely poor (approaching hazardous) as well (like all the cycle routes in Brighton town).

I expect, on balance, the Falmer location is a success, but it is hard to get to for fans west of Hove. Near on a thousand season ticket regulars missing.

PS: If Hughton was appointed Manager at the beginning of the season, I would not have bought a season ticket.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Before and immediately after the stadium opening the Albion performed the amazing trick of going from gates of six or seven thousand to over 20,000. Brilliant marketing (notably the free direct debit offer) capitalised on a huge reservoir of goodwill generated by the long struggle for a new ground. 15,000 regular new supporters appeared on the scene. It was almost without precedent - building a supporter base is normally a glacial affair.

Every single one of those 'JCLs' should be welcomed with open arms by older supporters. Hopefully they are. The newcomers might not have been around when times were tough but they are key to good times in the future. Equally, the club needs to handle the 'new improved bigger than ever' supporter base with kid gloves. It needs to put the mighty season ticket database in cotton wool, nurturing it with care and respect, because, by absolute definition, the names on it are, on average, less committed than those on other clubs' season ticket holder lists.

Doing this now, and for as long as it takes to get the new supporters as bedded in as most of us on this board already are, should be the central part of the Albion's marketing strategy. Go out to attract new supporters by all means, but understand that the person most likely to buy a season ticket next year is the person who is buying one this year. Understand too, that many of those people, especially the newcomers, are starting to fray round the edges. This has something to do with poor performances but it goes much deeper than that (to coin a phrase).

In all honesty, I don't believe that the club's management under Paul Barber has the wit or inclination to understand the problem. They think, by way of a small example, that the ideal way for the chairman to physically communicate with his best customers shortly before season tickets come up for renewal is to send them a folded bit of board masquerading as a Christmas card with a load of players' ('our heroes!') names printed inside. They even think that that is sufficient for members of the club's business networking group.

The problem is that once the new supporters, attracted to the club by a new stadium, good marketing and a fantastic sense of community, start to drift away it will be very difficult to get them back. It's different at Spurs - pee off 5000 supporters and you just send out to Hertfordshire for replacements. Here you can't. The metro managers and corporate rabbiters at the top of the Albion don't, sadly, get it.

Excellent post - a "like" wouldn't be enough. Great work has been done, and then almost as promptly undone, all by the club itself.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
They would be wise if he practised what he preached. A lot of fans have already been outpriced. He also said prices would go up significantly if we were promoted. But more importantly they need to stop mentioning the prem until we're at the right end of the championship.

My sentiments too....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here