Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wise Old Brezovan Opts for a Brighter Future

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
aye, in particular Ankergren, for whom pressure came every time a high ball entered the box. while Brez made mistakes, Ankergen's lack of confidence to aerial balls made everyone nervous, crowd and defense alike.
Ankergren is fine, I had Graeme Smith, Poke & the hapless Will Packham in mind. Who could forget that Gillingham game?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Petterson against Gillingham was the worst.

I remember Mark Walton scoring an own goal of the backside of a defender. Possibly Mayo. We made Chester City look like Germany that day.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
He'll be the League Two Reina....

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Conceded and saved a penalty at Exeter in his first game. Never gave a sense of security when playing, but ahead of a clutch of keepers mentioned on here, one of whom, Graeme Smith, was the worst goalkeeper I've seen in professional football in this country.

Still, nobody goes out to do deliberately badly, I suppose, barring those wanting a move, or with a bet on the game, or being at odds with the manager over personal issues.

Hope he does well at Tranmere where he could get loads of practice.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Waiting for the local newspaper headlines : Former Brighton player becomes a Tranny

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Another vote here for Graeme Smith as the worst keeper ever to play for the club. That goal at Northampton - indeed his whole performance that night - will (unfortunately) live long in the memory. Long hopeful punt into the box went straight through Andy Whing into Smith's hands and straight on through his legs and into the net. Truly embarrassingly awful!
big Pete was a joy to watch in comparison and had the distinction of being one of the very few among our keepers in recent years who could and would catch a cross. That alone gets a :thumbsup: in my book. I hope he gets games at Tranny and proves his worth.
As for Michael Poke. - unfairly maligned as he barely played but was actually a good shot stopper (and as every manager who never played him says "great in training").

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Another vote here for Graeme Smith as the worst keeper ever to play for the club.

Watching the warm-ups at Withdean before he had actually played for us - I thought he was a groundsman who for some reason got involved. He just did not look like a goalie - and certainly never played like one. Made Brezovan look like Lev Yashin.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Another vote here for Graeme Smith as the worst keeper ever to play for the club. That goal at Northampton - indeed his whole performance that night - will (unfortunately) live long in the memory. Long hopeful punt into the box went straight through Andy Whing into Smith's hands and straight on through his legs and into the net. Truly embarrassingly awful!
big Pete was a joy to watch in comparison and had the distinction of being one of the very few among our keepers in recent years who could and would catch a cross. That alone gets a :thumbsup: in my book. I hope he gets games at Tranny and proves his worth.
As for Michael Poke. - unfairly maligned as he barely played but was actually a good shot stopper (and as every manager who never played him says "great in training").

If you are referring to the Northampton league cup game, that was Poke in goal. I agree that Smith was pretty ropey though.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I don't think Brezovan is half as bad as people make him out to be. On his day, he was actually a decent keeper. The Leicester match a 2 seasons ago stands out for me and Bristol City in the first season. The trouble he had, was in the big games, where he'd just flop for absolutely no reason. Better than Ankergren in my opinion.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Standing straight behind him at Upton Park and watching in stunned disbelief as he let an easy catch sail straight through his hands in that very embarrassing 6-0 defeat where none of the team covered themselves in glory takes some beating as the worst goalkeeping.

He was on his day a good keeper on others an embarrassment and a liability problem is you never had a clue which one got out of bed that day :)

Good luck to him he has never been anything but loyal to the Albion while he was here and it was not his choice to leave so I hope he does well in his new job so long as they stay out of the same league as us.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I remember Mark Walton scoring an own goal of the backside of a defender. Possibly Mayo. We made Chester City look like Germany that day.
That was HILARIOUS in hindsight. Looking to clear his lines from his own goal line, he just HOOFED the ball at Kerry Mayo's arse, and the ball just powder-puffed back past him into the net.

I think it might have been Cullip's debut, but maybe that was a season later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here