Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wise Lacks Boardroom Support

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
thank god for that, who put him forward anyway, makes you wonder what these people`s character assessments are like. Would have been the first manager of us with a proper criminal record wouldnt he?

hastings albion

Mar 26, 2008
I know wise is not the greatest person in the world but he done really well at leeds and millwall. Im not saying he would be my first choice but I dont give a f*** what kind person the new manager is as long as we climb up the league. Think we could end up with a lot worse

northampton_seagull

Jun 17, 2008
Northampton
Steve Coppell has emerged as the red-hot favourite to become Albion’s manager for a second time.

Momentum is building behind Coppell and the job looks like being his again – provided he wants it.

The former Reading chief is the overwhelming choice of Argus website readers to succeed the sacked Russell Slade.

By last night Coppell had 53% of the votes in our on-line poll, well clear of Alan Curbishley (28) and Gareth Southgate (12).

He also has the backing of skipper Adam Virgo, even though Coppell shipped him out on loan to Exeter during his first spell in charge, and ex-chairman Dick Knight has described him as the “obvious choice”.

Coppell, 54, almost rescued Albion from relegation from the Championship before leaving for Reading in October 2003, with the Seagulls top of League One.

He dropped Virgo from the side after one match and sent him on loan to Exeter in the Conference but Virgo said: “I was 18 then and a lot has happened since.

“I can understand why he decided not to play me, because at that time he went for the vast experience of Dean Blackwell.

“I have grown up a lot since then and seen a lot. If Steve is the man to come in he will get my full support.

“He knows the club and I genuinely believe he wanted to stay here the first time but the new ground was too far away then from becoming a reality and he had a fantastic opportunity at Reading.

“He is a very quiet manager but, although he is not a tall man, he has a presence and respect and that is what we need in the club as well.

“He went on to do great things at Reading and he is a very good coach. Organisation plays a big part in his day-to-day routine, he was a great player and his ideas are good.

“We need to bring in a manager that has been there and done it at a very good level, a manager that has made a name for himself, with a proven record in the Championship and maybe the Premiership.”

Knight, now club president, appointed Coppell first time around and believes the time is right for him to return.

“For me the obvious choice would be Steve,” he said. "It would be the last great managerial challenge for him.

“He knows the club, he helped in the battle for the stadium, so he is part of that culture and history, and we had a great relationship.

“Because he understands the club he is the perfect guy for the job, if he is up for it.”

Knight also appointed Slade before Tony Bloom took over as chairman in May.

He said: “I feel sad for Russ and let’s not forget Dean (White) and Bob (Booker), who have both been terrific servants to the club.

“Russ is a very good man and he has been unlucky with serious injuries to Glenn Murray and Jim McNulty.

“I would have given him more time but the pressure to succeed is enormous and the expectation at the club very high. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. I had that myself and still do.”

Backing for Dennis Wise is ebbing away. He won only five per cent of the votes in The Argus poll and lacks Boardroom support.
Southgate remains a plausible alternative to Coppell following his sacking by Middlesbrough.

Albion have been refused permission by Nottingham Forest to play on-loan midfielder Arron Davies in the first round of the FA Cup at Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.

Martin Hinshelwood will be in caretaker charge for the first round tie at Adams Park if the new manager is not in place by then.

Meanwhile, Slade has been linked with a return to League Two strugglers Grimsby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here