Winter cyclists

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Good waterproofs that are actually waterproof not just showerproof including overshoes as there is nothing worse that walking around in soggy shoes/socks all day. Really good gloves, even two pairs (runners gloves are good for under-layer). More important than all this is being seen, even with good lights you might not be seen by cars turning into the road so some good hi-viz is really important. I use a high-viz backpack cover than keeps my bag dry and also allow me to be seen. If you are on a road bike get some decent tyres with good grip as it can get a bit scary when it's really wet (especially with leaves on the road) or icy.

If there is a big head wind it might be better to come along the Old Shoreham road and then down Dyke road and Queens Road to middle street. Still a pretty quick way to get there.

This is true. Leave some dry clothes at work!

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
This is true. Leave some dry clothes at work!
I don't have a work place to leave clothes i will be cycling from job to job. But i guess i could take extra clothes in a backpack and change at my first job if need be!

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Not if i can help it! I want to do my bit for future generations and the planet!

Yes if everyone in Britain done their bit then we could all be smug and self righteous in that way only cyclists can.
Do you really think u can make difference? I briefly did, done all I could to reduce my energy bills, then I see a documentary on Las Vegas and how much energy they throw at the desert in the form if aircon and realized I was piss*ng into the wind.
Get a big gas guzzling v8 with nice heater then u won't have to worry about how cold it is at 5am and get in the way of posties and milkmen.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
This winter i am going to try and cycle everyday from Portslade to Brighton to work. My route takes me from my house north of Old Shoreham Rd
down to the seafront and then along the cycle path to Middle Street and from there up into central Brighton.
Any of you harden cyclist got any tips on how i can keep warm, dry and safe? And what I can expect cycling this route sometimes as early as 5.30/6am.

Funnily enough ALDI have got a special deal day this Thursday which has cycling clothes and equipment. That's if you don't mind shopping in aldi. I love it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes if everyone in Britain done their bit then we could all be smug and self righteous in that way only cyclists can.
Do you really think u can make difference? I briefly did, done all I could to reduce my energy bills, then I see a documentary on Las Vegas and how much energy they throw at the desert in the form if aircon and realized I was piss*ng into the wind.
Get a big gas guzzling v8 with nice heater then u won't have to worry about how cold it is at 5am and get in the way of posties and milkmen.

And ever since you've been the winner with big car and home fuel bills. All coz of that doc on Las Vegas.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
And ever since you've been the winner with big car and home fuel bills. All coz of that doc on Las Vegas.

The point is that the are no winners as the is no chance of convincing 99.99% of the world population that climate change exists! however if u feel u can change their minds then good luck

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wear this:-

20121009-prendas-ciclismo-belgian-style-winter-hat_3.jpg

You could cycle nudie but for this hat and still not be cold.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-belgian-style-winter-hat.html

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This winter i am going to try and cycle everyday from Portslade to Brighton to work. My route takes me from my house north of Old Shoreham Rd
down to the seafront and then along the cycle path to Middle Street and from there up into central Brighton.
Any of you harden cyclist got any tips on how i can keep warm, dry and safe? And what I can expect cycling this route sometimes as early as 5.30/6am.

Shit route.

I you insist, high quality tyres (£30 each) are worth it. Cree front lights. No way of getting out of the weather. I just spent £50 replacing a front disc brake. Traffic everywhere is so much that good brakes are essential.

Sooner or later the weather is going to be so ****ing awful that you will want a second alternative transport mode. The rain will be so bad not only will you be soaking wet but car drivers will not see you cause their visibility is too badly impaired. Flooded roads will hide dangerous potholes and drain covers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The point is that the are no winners as the is no chance of convincing 99.99% of the world population that climate change exists! however if u feel u can change their minds then good luck

Climate is one issue, but I think we all have a duty to not be fat lazy shits as well.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Get a merino wool base layer. This stuff is fantastic. You can pay anything from £15 in Aldi/Lidl for a T-Shirt through to big bucks for a super techno top.

SO what is the big deal ?

Firstly this stuff is thin and lightweight, but also keeps you warm.
Secondly it just deals with sweat. I used to do a 5 mile to work cycle and back every day, take a shower and change at work. After three days of this, I could detect a slight whiff of stale sweat, by sticking my nose into the armpit of my base layer.

The more expensive tops add a few extras, obvious ones like long sleeves and then other bits like softer material, thumb loops (these are really useful) and breathable panels. I have an Icebreaker GT 200, which cost around £70 and it has been money well spent.

Get herself on of them builders/lollipop man coats from somewhere like b&b, they're only about 20 quid, keep you warm and seen, I swear by them. I cycle home often after 11pm all seasons., ski gloves from one of them sports shops, hoodie over the ears crash helmet over the top of that during January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports