Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winston Churchill

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A flawed man but a great one nonetheless. RIP Winston.
Indeed. He was obviously a 'child of his time' so he can't be blamed for having Victorian views, but as a politician he was wrong about almost everything: Ireland, India, the Gold Standard, the Dardenelles, Edward VIII - but he was bang on with the Nazis. The right man at the right time - and thank **** for that, Can you imagine any of today's politicians doing it? (Just watched Mo Molam's 'Great Britons' programme where she pays him full homage).

I remember as a boy watching his funeral on TV. It went on for bloody ages but I felt I should watch all of it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Really ? I think the residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki would disagree.

Sorry, I'm afraid you may have to decipher that, I was not drinking last night.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Sorry, I'm afraid you may have to decipher that, I was not drinking last night.
Neither was I, it's not difficult , you stated there was ' very little America or our little battered Island' could do about Stalin at the end of the war, I said that the residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki may disagree with that premise, the clue is in the fvcking bombs that America posessed and had already dropped on the said cities.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Neither was I, it's not difficult , you stated there was ' very little America or our little battered Island' could do about Stalin at the end of the war, I said that the residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki may disagree with that premise, the clue is in the fvcking bombs that America posessed and had already dropped on the said cities.

I get it now, you are saying we should have nuked Europe and the Russians in 1945. Good plan, that would have stopped him and really helped Western Europe recover.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I get it now, you are saying we should have nuked Europe and the Russians in 1945. Good plan, that would have stopped him and really helped Western Europe recover.
Don't get all bitter and twisted because you somehow failed to see what was a very clear point, what I'm saying is that the threat may well have been enough, it stopped the soviets from invading the west for 50 odd years and they were in possession of the self same weapons for most of that time, there was a school of thought amongst some in the U.S. military (notably George Patton) that thought we should have carried on East after the Germans surrendered, also , who said anything about nuking anywhere in Europe outside of Russia ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Don't get all bitter and twisted because you somehow failed to see what was a very clear point, what I'm saying is that the threat may well have been enough, it stopped the soviets from invading the west for 50 odd years and they were in possession of the self same weapons for most of that time, there was a school of thought amongst some in the U.S. military (notably George Patton) that thought we should have carried on East after the Germans surrendered, also , who said anything about nuking anywhere in Europe outside of Russia ?

Nope, you are not helping " The residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki would disagree " with what ? Sorry I'm not bitter and twisted, I really don't see what, if any your point is ? Back in the mists of time in this thread I said that there was little Winston Churchill and America could to to prevent the Cold War in 1945. Besides, surely nuking Russia while it had some 25 Million men in it's armed forces, many of the them in Eastern Europe might seem a provocation ? There would be an awfully angry bunch of heavily armed men rather angry with little Britain. So, you would have to have nuked Eastern Europe too.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Nope, you are not helping " The residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki would disagree " with what ? Sorry I'm not bitter and twisted, I really don't see what, if any your point is ? Back in the mists of time in this thread I said that there was little Winston Churchill and America could to to prevent the Cold War in 1945. Besides, surely nuking Russia while it had some 25 Million men in it's armed forces, many of the them in Eastern Europe might seem a provocation ? There would be an awfully angry bunch of heavily armed men rather angry with little Britain. So, you would have to have nuked Eastern Europe too.

You know EXACTLY what point I am making , you've just repeated it when talking about nuking Eastern Europe, as for your comments about armed men being angry with little Britain , you're either deliberately obtuse or just thick to be honest.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You know EXACTLY what point I am making , you've just repeated it when talking about nuking Eastern Europe, as for your comments about armed men being angry with little Britain , you're either deliberately obtuse or just thick to be honest.

Nope, sorry, we will have to disagree for now, I'll try and figure out what your original point was later.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Hope some were on this yesterday, topically named, only won by 81 lengths!.Coincidence or what??!!

WD.JPG

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Indeed. He was obviously a 'child of his time' so he can't be blamed for having Victorian views, but as a politician he was wrong about almost everything: Ireland, India, the Gold Standard, the Dardenelles, Edward VIII - but he was bang on with the Nazis. The right man at the right time - and thank **** for that, Can you imagine any of today's politicians doing it? (Just watched Mo Molam's 'Great Britons' programme where she pays him full homage).

I remember as a boy watching his funeral on TV. It went on for bloody ages but I felt I should watch all of it.

Spot on.

As it happens my Dad was on a school trip the very same day of his funeral. Witnessed Churchill's funeral barge heading down the Thames.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My favourite Churchill quote is when Bessie Braddock said " Mr Churchill you are drunk" and he replied" but in the morning I will be sober" great put down, didnt need to say anything else.

Actually you've missed part of the quote out:

Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk
Winston Churchill: And you are ugly, but at least in the morning I will be sober

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My Favourite

Upon being woken in the early hours to be told that a backbench MP had been caught by the press performing indecent acts with a guardsman in St James' Park during one of the coldest February nights in 30 years.

Winston walked to the window, looked out at the frost covered ground and announced 'In this weather ? Makes you proud to be British !'

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Nope, sorry, we will have to disagree for now, I'll try and figure out what your original point was later.
If you genuinely can't grasp my point (and I'm highly sceptical) then your lack of perception is remarkable, are you really that thick ? So for your benefit, you said that there was little that Britain or America could do to force Stalin and the rest of the soviet government to take their forces back behind their own borders immediately after the end of ww2, I said that the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima ( who were nuked as a warning to comply with the will of the allied forces , I.e surrender, ) would disagree, clear enough for you ?

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
My Favourite

Upon being woken in the early hours to be told that a backbench MP had been caught by the press performing indecent acts with a guardsman in St James' Park during one of the coldest February nights in 30 years.

Winston walked to the window, looked out at the frost covered ground and announced 'In this weather ? Makes you proud to be British !'
At a speaking tour of Canada he was sat next to a straight laced Methodist minister at a reception. A pert young waitress came up with a tray of sherry.
She went to Churchill who took a glass and then turned to the minister. Young lady I would rather commit adultery than take an intoxicating beverage.
Churchill then beckoned the girl....Come back miss- I didn't know we had a choice. [/I]

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Whatever his failings, and there were many, he was the right man in the right place at the right time.Plus, if people had listened to him about Stalin maybe the whole cold war may have been avoided.

I seem to remember he wanted to carry on and do the Russians, pity the Americans didn't have the appetite or else the World map surely would look better than it is.

TNBA

TTF

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He was born at the height of the British empire, unfortunately he lived long enough to see the dismantling of it and Britain as a world power.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nicholas Soames: 'Grandad, I hear you are famous'

Churchill: 'Yes I am, now bugger off'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here