Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Winning v Leading Pet Hates

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't get what gets people's goat with get. It's what the experts call a delexicalised verb. We use it in all manner of ways so to say it doesn't make sense in the phrase "can I get", makes no sense imo.

I’m not sure this post makes sense, sorry I’ve read it 4 times and not actually sure what you are saying.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't get what gets people's goat with get. It's what the experts call a delexicalised verb. We use it in all manner of ways so to say it doesn't make sense in the phrase "can I get", makes no sense imo.
It is wrong in the way it is used. If ordering a coffee, of someone says, 'Can I get a latte?' the correct answer would be, 'No you can't, but I can go and get one for you.'
'Can I get' would be correct in the context of 'Can I go and get myself a cup of coffee?' - but using it to order a coffee is nonsense, because when ordering you are actually asking someone else to go and get you a cup of coffee.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If its at Old Trafford it's usually the rain

Old Trafford is clearly the wettest historically (by some distance).

Ironically, when it comes to the Ashes Sydney is the worst.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I’m not sure this post makes sense, sorry I’ve read it 4 times and not actually sure what you are saying.

I mean the word get has a multitude of meanings and is often used more as a "grammar" word rather than as a standard verb with its own intrinsic meaning. Look up get in a dictionary to get an idea of what I mean. Or imagine a foreigner asked you to explain the word get- how would you get it across?

When people gripe about get, they seem to be suggesting it is simply a synonym of fetch, which is patently untrue.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
It is wrong in the way it is used. If ordering a coffee, of someone says, 'Can I get a latte?' the correct answer would be, 'No you can't, but I can go and get one for you.'
'Can I get' would be correct in the context of 'Can I go and get myself a cup of coffee?' - but using it to order a coffee is nonsense, because when ordering you are actually asking someone else to go and get you a cup of coffee.

It's not nonsense though, is it? Asking a barista "Urk A gihy e shimec?" would be nonsense, but "Can I get a coffee?" is going to result in your desired caffeinated beverage, even in the UK where the construction may have sounded strange a few years back. A lot of this is about cultural context. In the US, "may I have a coffee?"
might result in a momentary pause as the barista tries to figure out if you're making a special request. Then they'll probably say "I like your accent."

The op, and others, might be peeved by creeping Americanisms, which is fair enough, but to claim "can I get..." is linguistically illogical seems a bit futile.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
When a ‘geezer’ tele salesman calls you mate.

Maybe it’s an age thing, but I always pull them up on it immediately, “I’m 56, we’ve spoken for barely a couple of minutes, so clearly you are not my mate!” 😂

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
2. Commentators, The keeper was beaten, when it hits a post or goes behind. NO! he's only beaten when it goes in the net. > He was unlucky it hit the bar, NO! He wasn't unlucky he wasn't accurate enough. IMHO.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
When a ‘geezer’ tele salesman calls you mate.

Maybe it’s an age thing, but I always pull them up on it immediately, “I’m 56, we’ve spoken for barely a couple of minutes, so clearly you are not my mate!” ��

Ask for mates rates!

autopsyturvey

Feb 24, 2018
The one that I seem to be alone in is 'choice' vs 'option', ie., "You've got two choices, a or b".

No. You've got ONE CHOICE. You have TWO OPTIONS.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Drivers who get into the outside lane of a dual carriageway, because they are taking the right turning at the roundabout 2 miles ahead, and then driving below the speed limit.

In truth I have a hatful (or should that be kennel?) of pet hates related to selfish and bad driving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here