Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] wingeing Prem Managers

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I have sympathy, there is too much football played at an incredibly intense level so personally I would do away with replays. It’s a very different game to 30 years ago.

However I also understand the lower league clubs wanting to keep them and the financial benefit for them so it is tricky.

I heard a couple of very sensible suggestions on a podcast earlier that said they could scrap replays for ties involving teams in the same division and kept for ties where they’re in different divisions. Or, they give the teams involved an option where they can decide if they want a replay or for it to be decided on the day. If both are happy for a same day result then fine, if one of them wants a replay option, they have to go with that regardless of what the other side wants. Both suggestions have far too much common sense involved for football administrators to be considered though.
Could do away with replays, but could also do away with 48 team world cups, expanded world club cup, expanded champions league and pointless pre season tournaments. Bin off the chance to transfer between European tournaments. Bin off the smegging Nations league.

But the FA cup has 150 years of tradition. There's F all money in it, not for the teams who can win. Just the chance to write your name into football history. Give the tournament space to play it's games, so that it's not a reserve team tournament. Give it a proper billing and stop degrading it at every opportunity.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Agree entirely. To a man, every Premier League manager blames someone else for losses. Every one of them.
"Attributions" are an interesting aspect of the psychology in sport.

I like the balance RDZ usually strikes in his post-match analysis.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Could do away with replays, but could also do away with 48 team world cups, expanded world club cup, expanded champions league and pointless pre season tournaments. Bin off the chance to transfer between European tournaments. Bin off the smegging Nations league.

But the FA cup has 150 years of tradition. There's F all money in it, not for the teams who can win. Just the chance to write your name into football history. Give the tournament space to play it's games, so that it's not a reserve team tournament. Give it a proper billing and stop degrading it at every opportunity.
Oh I totally agree about binning some of those off as well. And the coming expansion of the Champ and Europa League, it’s enough already. And a 48 team World Cup is nonsense. Personally I’d play a lot, lot less international football generally - nothing during the season.

The FA cup needs updating dramatically though. It hasn’t really changed in all the 150 years you mention it’s been going and that’s part of the problem now. Look at the Premier League - do you think the top division of English football would be as successful as it is now if it hadn’t rebranded in 1992?

A lot of people moan that that the FA cup is devalued and not as popular as it should be whilst not wanting to make any positive changes to it. Scrapping replays altogether might be a start in making top clubs and managers taking it more seriously.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Agree and often foreign managers arrive here and in no time start moaning.

The better you are the more games you play, who'd have guessed it?

25 men squads in a myth. What about those u21. Far too often you here managers bemoaning the fact they are down to bare bones. Other clubs, like Brighton, use the youngsters low and behold some even turn out OK.
Plucky old Beheddie naming two 'keepers on the bench rather than blood some youth players - a cynic might suggest it's so he can drive a fairytale narrative of succeeding against the odds should the horse punchers win something, while having a ready made excuse if they fall short

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Yep, pitches today surely limit injury and also muscle fatigue compared to 40 years ago. Much less protection from refs in those days too so far higher likelihood of injury you'd think.
I think it is probably the opposite on the first sentence. When the pitches were rubbish the game was slower so you did not get into full pace sprints as often. In fact everything was slower so less muscle injury risk. Obviously the impact injury risk was different because you could smash people!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
There are more important things in football than the PL. Replays are an important revenue generator for lower league clubs who are often only just surviving. I couldn’t care less about PL managers. They should show more respect for our pyramid and less for their over inflated bank balances. They can use their squad players if it’s a problem.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Quite an easy on to solve. If it's all square at 80 mins take 3 of your defenders off and replace with attacking players. That should sort it one way or another

Mandatory minimum of 10 mins stoppage time, with an additional ball injected into in play every other minute, monkey-rush keepers and no offsides

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I assume the FA could take action if a team just hooned the ball in their own in the 96th to avoid a replay? Probably wouldn't go down well with the fans either.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yep, pitches today surely limit injury and also muscle fatigue compared to 40 years ago. Much less protection from refs in those days too so far higher likelihood of injury you'd think.
I think the level of athleticism required is the issue, small knocks takes players performance down . But added to that as an industry the health & safety has improved so players aren't allowed to play with the level of injury they might of 20or 40 years ago.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think it is probably the opposite on the first sentence. When the pitches were rubbish the game was slower so you did not get into full pace sprints as often. In fact everything was slower so less muscle injury risk. Obviously the impact injury risk was different because you could smash people!
So, there's our evidence.

Get the players smoking and drinking again as this very obviously protected them against injury.

🤷‍♂️

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Simple thing would be teams could agree to go to extra time and penalties rather than replay beforehand. I'm sure that was introduced at the qualifying rounds of the Fa Cup or trophy recently

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Haven't read all replies as I'm quite lazy, so apologies if I'm repeating something already said.
A squad of 25 plus kids, there's an opportunity to rotate them like a chicken in a microwave(like we've done and also had to). A couple of teams rely on a core of 14, then are buggered with injuries and 'excessive' amount of games.
We have this strength in depth and I reckon it'll keep us fresher than a few others in the top ten. The benefits will be seen towards the arse end of the season.
I'm expecting top six, 65 points, minimum of FA cup semis, minimum of Europa league quarters....but I'm still miffed about the league cup from last year

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Base problems here are UEFA relentlessly pushing and expanding European football, and meaningless international breaks. These factors are to the detriment of the domestic game, both leagues and FA Cup.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

100% this.

After Round 5 I’d say forget the replays, but for some lower league teams in round 3 and 4 this sort of money can change things dramatically in terms of financial reward.

As you say, the big teams should stop fixing it for themselves to have access to all the lucrative competitions if they want to play less football.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What if they both want to forfeit the replay ?
Manager race from the front desk to the office at the FA HQ, last one there stays in the cup

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here