Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 8, why, how and Jesus Christ?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Bought a new laptop with Windows 8 installed...I hate it...click on one thing and it goes onto something else. But with XP being phased out I suppose I will have to get used to it!

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Bought a new laptop with Windows 8 installed...I hate it...click on one thing and it goes onto something else. But with XP being phased out I suppose I will have to get used to it!

That was exactly the same problem I had, it is something to do with swiping and two finger clicking or some shite like that. I managed to turn that off and this is the article I used, now I do not end up on something completely the opposite to what I wanted or come out of something I was on

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/20992-touchpad-edge-swipes-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

Also another tip is to hover with your mouse over the bottom right hand corner and you can use the search to basically find anything you otherwise may not be able to find.

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
A bit off topic but still......

If Micros*ft can bring Seagulls and Eagles together in agreement they should be running the United Nations! :clap2:

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
It looks good. I have a five year old small laptop computer at home but it might as well be new for all that I have managed to get working on it...

I am at work at the moment but if I use ninite.com tonight will it really just load all that stuff on? Do you have to pay to have "Office" (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc) and security anti-virus...?

Office is a trial of the 2007 version and is good for 30 days (might be 60 days). Open Office will do everything you need to do with office and is free.

Some of the anti virus programs are free, some are subscription. I tend to use security essentials now as most of the other AV programs (norton and McAfee being the main culprits) tend to take over your computer and slow things down a hell of a lot and are almost impossible to uninstall

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Office is a trial of the 2007 version and is good for 30 days (might be 60 days). Open Office will do everything you need to do with office and is free.

Some of the anti virus programs are free, some are subscription. I tend to use security essentials now as most of the other AV programs (norton and McAfee being the main culprits) tend to take over your computer and slow things down a hell of a lot and are almost impossible to uninstall
Thanks.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've not got W8 on my other laptop (my work laptop is a mac, my 'spare' is @7) but i've used it on a couple of occasions. Initially it is horrendous but i don't know whether, with prolonged use i would get used to it.

I was hoping that Windows 8.1 would be a copy of Windows 7 with a text file saying "Sorry".

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Wife is slowly getting to grips with Windows 8.
As far as anti virus is concerned,W8 comes with a system called Windows Defender which has to be activated.It is free and you have to de-activate whatever 'free trial' system was loaded onto you new computer.Once we had done this it was quite simple to activate Defender ,we googled it to find out how.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If you are looking for good free anti-virus and Malware, I have always used Avira

https://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-free-antivirus

and also anti malware bytes

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

They are both free, non intrusive and do not slow the machine down. As someone else has said, Norton and Mcafee are the worst, how they can still charge and make money is beyond me
Those links are obviously going to infest my computer with some sort of cyber VD...

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
When moving from Windows 3.1 to 95, I hated it, couldn't see the improvement, nothing was where it should be.
I hated Windows 8 when I first got it, but I just persevered with it and now I find a lot of it pretty good (even if a bit buggy).

Saying that I only use Linux at home...

Sent from Mint 15 using Firefox...

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham

You mean the Office 10 I have running should not have been free?! Does anyone seriously pay for programmes anymore?

BTW Avast is a good free AV.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
dont use work arounds, it just encourages them. ditch it, say why and get a windows 7 machine. maybe in a years or two they'll ditch the thing like they did Vista. its not like the strategy of one OS every worked in the first place, its only the UI design thats common, nothing else is compatible.

Difference is that Vista was only ever intended to be a beta version for Windows 7. A fact I'm still amazed and annoyed about!

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
You mean the Office 10 I have running should not have been free?! Does anyone seriously pay for programmes anymore?

BTW Avast is a good free AV.

I am guess that the Office 10 you have came installed with the computer and has adverts on the right hand side of the screen to help pay for it and/or encourage you to cough up to pay for the full things. According to ninite, the one that is installed by their software is the 2007 trial version

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Difference is that Vista was only ever intended to be a beta version for Windows 7. A fact I'm still amazed and annoyed about!

If you follow the Windows cycle from 3.1 to 8/8.1 you will see a pattern

3.1 Good
95 Bad
98 Good
ME Bad
XP Good
Vista Bad
7 Good
8/8.1 Bad

All the bad ones involved a fairly major change in the UI layout. It seems its always the second version of the layout that is the winner, windows 8.1 is nothing more than a service pack for 8 so we are not on the good version of the metro interface yet.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Genuine question: Is there a way to customise Windows 8 so it looks and works like OS X?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
in terms of a dock? I've had one before, would have assumed you could get it for Windows 8 too

Dock, Apple menu, same look and feel as Mavericks etc...

I remember when I was working for the council, making windows 98 look like OS X. Needless to say, ICT dept were not happy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here