Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Windows 11

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Win XP and 7 all worked just fine well after they went out of [Microsoft] support.
I have 6 networked PCs / laptops around the house all running Win 10 and I can't see any value / urgency for me to upgrade to Win 11 anytime soon.
The main issue with "out of support" is development of new drivers for new devices, so unless you are on the bleeding-edge of new device tech, 64bit Win 10 will continue to serve you just fine well beyond Oct-25

As was recently mentioned on TV on another major issue - no need to panic!

Last edited:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I like the Layout and the centered taskbar.

Not much changed, more rounded instead of square, apart from getting used to where system settings and programs are but can use the search feature.

I'm happy so far.

Win 11.png

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm living with windows 10. As soon as there is no more support for it, it's going to be full time Linux. Speed, security, more speed and full compatibility with anything I've installed(hardware) so far.
I've started the transition for the missus already, just making sure she's happy with all her docx stuff in Apache.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I'm living with windows 10. As soon as there is no more support for it, it's going to be full time Linux. Speed, security, more speed and full compatibility with anything I've installed(hardware) so far.
I've started the transition for the missus already, just making sure she's happy with all her docx stuff in Apache.
Security? How is Linux more secure? I would argue is the easiest to hack.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I've never had a problem with online intruders all the time I've used it. Microshaft windoze is a different matter
That don't make it more secure. There are not many full time Linux users compared to Windows and Mac, hence the attack rate being low.

But I could get into a Linux machine quicker than a Windows or Mac with all relevant updates.

It is more easy to escalate privileges to root with Linux, then you own the system.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
That don't make it more secure. There are not many full time Linux users compared to Windows and Mac, hence the attack rate being low.

But I could get into a Linux machine quicker than a Windows or Mac with all relevant updates.

It is more easy to escalate privileges to root with Linux, then you own the system.

Be my guest. I have four linux machines on my network. Come in, have a gander, tell me what you find:)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Win XP and 7 all worked just fine well after they went out of [Microsoft] support.
I have 6 networked PCs / laptops around the house all running Win 10 and I can't see any value / urgency for me to upgrade to Win 11 anytime soon.
The main issue with "out of support" is development of new drivers for new devices, so unless you are on the bleeding-edge of new device tech, 64bit Win 10 will continue to serve you just fine well beyond Oct-25

As was recently mentioned on TV - no need to panic!

Many atms were still running embedded xp until only a few years ago, probably still are abroad! I remember seeing windows nt4 blue screens of death in an airport terminal 10 years after windows 2000 nt5 was released lol

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Many atms were still running embedded xp until only a few years ago, probably still are abroad! I remember seeing windows nt4 blue screens of death in an airport terminal 10 years after windows 2000 nt5 was released lol

I had an ATM opened up for me at the back once, since it had eaten my card and turned itself off.

When they opened it up, I saw a floppy disk laying in the back.

They told that was how they updated the software.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There was a workaround for the early access one that presumably works with the full release - you get so far through setup, crash to a command prompt and then edit a file or registry entry - can't remember which. That tells it to not bother checking the processor version.

I'm given this a go on a non critical machine (this one), safe in the knowledge I'll just install Window 10 back.

Very annoying from Microsoft, this is a relatively recently purchased surface.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm given this a go on a non critical machine (this one), safe in the knowledge I'll just install Window 10 back.

Very annoying from Microsoft, this is a relatively recently purchased surface.

Which surface?. The inbuilt system update tool is incorrectly reporting that some laptops are incompatible with windows 11 and you need to download the health check program from the windows website.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Which surface?. The inbuilt system update tool is incorrectly reporting that some laptops are incompatible with windows 11 and you need to download the health check program from the windows website.

That's right. I've just blasted the OS completely and seeing if it installs off the USB media. If it fails, I'll just install Windows 10 again.

I've made the registry changes, but the setup from windows doesn't like it. OK, get rid of the registry completely before setup :)

Edit: didn't actually remove the partition. It just installed over the top, doing that thing when it throws windows into windows.old

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Successful install.

The installation media when run from within Windows 10 (and the health check app) both reported the CPU on the surface was incompatible.

Rebooted with installation media installed and chose fresh install and deleted the existing partitions.

Very quick installation, much quicker than Windows 10.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
..and from the actual machine, hello from Windows 11.

( half way through the above sentence, the screen went black but came back again :lolol:)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
First impressions (very first), huge improvement.

Very snappy and faster Ui which is unusual from a windows upgrade.

Reminds of when I installed Linux on an old machine. Inevitably, it will slow down when I start installing software and vendors start installing unnecessary services running in the background...

we shall see

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
There was a workaround for the early access one that presumably works with the full release - you get so far through setup, crash to a command prompt and then edit a file or registry entry - can't remember which. That tells it to not bother checking the processor version.

I suggest you only do it if you know what you are doing plus MS have already said they are going to close these workarounds in future updates so it will be only a temp fix.

https://www.redmondpie.com/bypass-w...eck-when-upgrading-from-windows-10-heres-why/

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I suggest you only do it if you know what you are doing plus MS have already said they are going to close these workarounds in future updates so it will be only a temp fix.

https://www.redmondpie.com/bypass-w...eck-when-upgrading-from-windows-10-heres-why/

Appears to already closed. Although I did manage to install Windows 11 on a relatively recent surface with a "non compliant" processor.

The surface froze last night (once) and I had to do a hard reboot, but that happens ALL THE TIME with Windows 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here