Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
100% this. I'll be holding back a few months I think, till the wailing and screeching caused by the bugs and glitches has died down and it becomes a fully operational platform. I don't want to get Appled.

So there never was an Easy 9? Did Easy 10 sound better?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
But if you were going to go numerically through Windows, this would be the 13th release technically? V.1, V.2, V.3, V3.1, Win 95, Win 98, Win 98SE, Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
But if you were going to go numerically through Windows, this would be the 13th release technically? V.1, V.2, V.3, V3.1, Win 95, Win 98, Win 98SE, Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10.

Win ME?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
But if you were going to go numerically through Windows, this would be the 13th release technically? V.1, V.2, V.3, V3.1, V3.11, Win 95, Win 98, Win 98SE, Win ME, Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10.

You missed a couple. Did anyone actually have Windows ME?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You missed a couple. Did anyone actually have Windows ME?

Millennium Edition I seem to recall, not a good version.

My brother in law is a senior technical project manager at Microsoft, so I have been 'fortunate' to receive the top line version of every Windows OS since Windows 3, as well as MS Office each time it gets an unnecessary update. Oh, and X-Boxes, but as I am over the age of 18, and not in full time education, I don't have a use for them.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Millennium Edition I seem to recall, not a good version.

My brother in law is a senior technical project manager at Microsoft, so I have been 'fortunate' to receive the top line version of every Windows OS since Windows 3, as well as MS Office each time it gets an unnecessary update. Oh, and X-Boxes, but as I am over the age of 18, and not in full time education, I don't have a use for them.

I had Windows Me for a while. Reminded me of this...

zh4F55R.png

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
So what makes Windows 10 "light years" ahead of Windows 7? Stability? Speed? Compatibility Install size? Or looks a bit fancier and links to Social Media? I genuinely haven't seen it but I'm intrigued to know why you think it is the dogs compared to Windows 7 and presumably why I should upgrade my estate of 200+ PCs immediately? There will obviously be improvements but to me, Windows 7 is the new Windows XP. It is stable, is fully supported for drivers, will still receive security updates for a while yet and is compatible with all the apps I need it to run. So what is Windows 10 USP other than the fact it isn't Windows 8?

Well it looks as though a massive well known military organisation don't agree as they have just spent million of dollars to keep WinXP updated.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Well it looks as though a massive well known military organisation don't agree as they have just spent million of dollars to keep WinXP updated.
Probably more to do with their legacy systems not being rewritten to work with 7 I would guess. Or a refusal to upgrade to hardware capable of running 7. We still have a few XP machines around that I am trying to find time to replace/upgrade but staying with XP forever seems like a bad idea to me. We will probably move to Windows 10 in time as you need to move forward but rushing as an early adopter is never a great idea and 7 does everything we need and is patched so we will stay with it for a while yet. Mind you, a few years ago, cashpoints were still running NT. I had one reboot on me whilst using it and the NT boot screen is very distinctive.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
No, it's free to upgrade if you do so within the first 12 months, but if you're too slow out of the blocks you will have to pay (although that might be relaxed).

They will NOT charge a monthly fee once the 12 months are up - all future updates will be free also: MS will make their money instead from enterprise licences (who are exempt from the free upgrade), Office subscriptions and other cloud/infrastructure services.

I'm advised that whilst you say "all future updates will also be free" that's because you will have no choice as the updates will be automatically installed on to your computer whether you like them or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here