Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Winchester; your tips…

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Go to the Tourist Information place at the bottom of the High Street (opposite King Alfred's statue) and go on one of their guided walks. Well worth it.

For an old, atmospheric pub, I recommend the Wykeham Arms, on the far side of the cathedral.

I was there last week on my way to see Eastleigh v Barnet, as one does, and one of the Tourist Office staff was from Ringmer.

Not sure if this has been elsewhere but the City Mill, a working water mill, run by the National Trust and also the official start of the South Downs Way is worth a visit - been there since Saxon times apparently

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Off to Winchester for a long weekend with a pal in early May. We’ve done all the usual research, cathedral etc.
We are going for dinner at Rick Stein’s place on the Monday night and have the evening meals sorted. Do any of you NSC’ers know the place or have any tips for lunch, places to visit, hidden gems etc?
We have an air bnb bang centre and we like;

Meat
Ale
Afternoon tea
History
Wrestling on rugs in front of open fires.

Thanks in advance
TC :)

afternoon tea...?? really...??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Currently been under the hospitality of the Royal Hampshire County Hospital for the last week - the food isn't too bad in there!

But for walks I'd recommend a short walk up St Giles Hill, or if the weather is good to walk through the streets around the College, through the water meadows and up St Catherine's Hill.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pick up the path along the river and head north. When you cross the road still heading north, there’s a walk around the wildlife reserve. You can walk off your afternoon tea. :D

Superb! Many thanks

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
well the other 4 activities don't surprise me in the slightest but afternoon tea ...?? well i never.

Obviously I had to release the staff after we left the Raj and Papa lost all his wealth but as long as the cucumber sandwiches are sufficiently peppered and they are buttered to the crustless edge, we can maintain standards.
Not too much butter, mind. Just a whisper, enough to reflect the afternoon sun.
We mustn’t drift into the arena of the Barbarians, darling!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pick up the path along the river and head north. When you cross the road still heading north, there’s a walk around the wildlife reserve. You can walk off your afternoon tea. :D

The (Winnall Moors?) reserve is pretty dull though, tbh.

Walk the river South from the City Mill (or the Bishop on the Bridge pub, if that suits better!). Takes you past the old walls of the castle / palace, then via Wolvesey Castle, the existing Bishops palace, the College grounds and playing fields, then through a couple of miles of water meadows, to the big viaduct.

From City Mill / Bishop on the bridge

mill.jpg

Past Wolvesey castle and Bishops Palace

wolvesy and palace.jpg

Wave to the young gentlemen of the College

gents.jpg

Then along here

wm.jpg

and here

wm2.jpg

to here.

viaduct.jpg

If you are feeling energetic, you can walk North along the viaduct itself towards St Catherine's Hill and make it a circular walk.

In fact this random blog (with lots of photos, that some lady has written, describes almost exactly the walk I've suggested https://over40andamumtoone.com/out-and-about/exploring-the-hockley-railway-viaduct-walk/ )

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As an important addition to the above route - once you are out of Winchester through the water meadows, you'll see the old church and almhouses of St Cross Hospital. The smallest building furthest left, in the image below is the '100 Men's Hall', which is opened by the volunteers in the summer months as a beautiful (and decent value) tea rooms, if you need a drink or some CAKE on your walk.

st cross.jpg

Also there is a centuries' old tradition, that if you go to the Porter's Lodge and request 'Traveller's Dole' they will give you a cup of ALE and a piece of bread!

dole.jpg

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
The (Winnall Moors?) reserve is pretty dull though, tbh.

Walk the river South from the City Mill (or the Bishop on the Bridge pub, if that suits better!). Takes you past the old walls of the castle / palace, then via Wolvesey Castle, the existing Bishops palace, the College grounds and playing fields, then through a couple of miles of water meadows, to the big viaduct.

From City Mill / Bishop on the bridge

View attachment 147380

Past Wolvesey castle and Bishops Palace

View attachment 147381

Wave to the young gentlemen of the College

View attachment 147382

Then along here

View attachment 147383

and here

View attachment 147384

to here.

View attachment 147385

If you are feeling energetic, you can walk North along the viaduct itself towards St Catherine's Hill and make it a circular walk.

In fact this random blog (with lots of photos, that some lady has written, describes almost exactly the walk I've suggested https://over40andamumtoone.com/out-and-about/exploring-the-hockley-railway-viaduct-walk/ )

I did both.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
They do a great brunch at The Orangery (The Square) if that's your type of thing.

Had a very civilised afternoon tea at the Winchester Royal Hotel (St Peter Street).

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Obviously I had to release the staff after we left the Raj and Papa lost all his wealth but as long as the cucumber sandwiches are sufficiently peppered and they are buttered to the crustless edge, we can maintain standards.
Not too much butter, mind. Just a whisper, enough to reflect the afternoon sun.
We mustn’t drift into the arena of the Barbarians, darling!

Quite...!! too much butter plays havoc with the grip on the old croquet hammer on those long , balmy summer evenings.....pip , pip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here