Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wimbledon stripped of ranking points

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I would have thought it might have been better to invite Russian players so everyone can vent their feelings to them and convey the message what a despicable country it is.

I take it you've been there.

I have Russian friends. Good folk. I don't judge whole nations by the aggressive actions of their governments. If i did, I'd end up thinking a lot of countries 'despicable,' including my own.

Most of us are unified in the condemnation of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. So that doesn't need to be debated.

But I support the tennis decision. I don't feel that ordinary Russian citizens should be punished for the actions of their government beyond the economic sanctions.

Too much hypocrisy in this moral arbitration.

I'll put me tin hat and check the plethora of responses when I next log on. What I have written, I have written.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

I have Russian friends. Good folk. I don't judge whole nations by the aggressive actions of their governments. If i did, I'd end up thinking a lot of countries 'despicable,' including my own.

Most of us are unified in the condemnation of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. So that doesn't need to be debated.

But I support the tennis decision. I don't feel that ordinary Russian citizens should be punished for the actions of their government beyond the economic sanctions.

I'll put me tin hat and check the plethora of responses when I next log on. What I have written, I have written.
It's fairly common in times of war. Last time Britain was at war, some Germans and Italians were allowed to roam free as long as the government was convinced they were safe; but those Germans and Italians who proudly boasted of being German and Italian, who didn't condemn their governments, were not allowed out. This is obviously a much lower level of restriction, but I'm sure those Russians who applied for citizenship of somewhere else and renounced their Russian citizenship would still be allowed entry. They can always re-apply for Russian citizenship if the country (or its government) ever becomes civilized again.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I imagine all the other grand slams will follow Wimbledon. Which makes you wonder what the ATP hope to achieve.
I doubt they'd be allowed to. Wimbledon is the only independent tournament, the others have to do as they're told.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That's fine as it's your opinion but the likely fact is that any Russian victory at sport, no matter how small, will be be used as propaganda by the Russian government. Russia needs to be isolated as much as it can until the people of Ukraine get their ordinary lives back. If ordinary Russians are affected by then sobeit.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

That’s the whole point of sanctions. It is to pressure a country’s own citizens to do something about a situation. It involves a lot less hardship than invading to make our point. By your logic we would not have had sporting sanctions on South Africa. Your point about having Russian friends is irrelevant I’m afraid. This means a lot more to a lot more people and the show of solidarity by Wimbledon will have meant a lot to the victims of Russian aggression. The LTA are an embarrassment. Even football got its act together over Russian participation in tournaments.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would it be cynical to think the powers that be in the ATP may have long standing links with Russia and the benefits that brings?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Obviously the right call and good to see someone show some integrity.

Either you ban every citizen from every country that invades another country or you don't do it at all. I've seen plenty of Americans, English, French play sports while their countries were killing innocent people in foreign countries.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
ATP spectacularly failing to read the room, well done Wimbledon (even though, after attending once, I wouldn’t go again if I was offered free tickets…..worst ‘sporting’ crowd I have ever experienced).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

While I get your POV, I can't agree with it entirely. Russia has invaded another country and murdered it's citizens - that's serious. I've not seen a single Russian tennis player speak out about it ( although I might have missed it ). Their silence is implicit support for the war.

You mention your support for the economic sanctions - sanctions on banks and doing business with Russia. Yet these actually hurt normal Russians, such as your friends, much more than banning a few very rich tennis players from playing in Wimbledon.

The restrictions on Russia have to be cumulative and blanket to have any effect. Yes a few tennis players not playing is small potatoes in the big scheme of what is going on but it helps. It's either that or NATO puts boots on the ground ( something which I actually support ), obviously the SAS are already there helping but I mean a massive deployment of NATO.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I fully agree with Kasparov about Russian sports competitors :

[Tweet]1527681453621927936[/Tweet]

[Tweet]1527682312900575233[/Tweet]

[Tweet]1527682916431581191[/Tweet]

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well, well done Wimbledon and the LTA. Now that is a statement I never expected to make in my lifetime!

Still won't be watching though - and my level of interest in who wins is on a par with the golf and the darts!

Tennis is the Daily Mail of sport

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Tennis is the Daily Mail of sport

Meaning?

I can understand people's dislike of Wimbledon and what it (used to ?) represent. But tennis as a sport? I don't understand that at all. It is both played and watched by millions around the world of all ethnicity. If I walk around Brighton what do I see people playing outside in the parks? Mostly football and tennis. It can be a fascinating battle of 1 vs 1 without (much) outside ingame coaching on the side as the game progresses. It's a real mental battle (you often see matches switch right around when one player is close to winning and fluffs the pressure). It's great for betting (won good amounts on underdogs and games doing 180s after player wins the first set 6-0 or 6-1). It's one of few sports where men and women compete together and against each other in mixed doubles. I've grown to love it.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
That’s the whole point of sanctions. It is to pressure a country’s own citizens to do something about a situation. It involves a lot less hardship than invading to make our point. By your logic we would not have had sporting sanctions on South Africa. Your point about having Russian friends is irrelevant I’m afraid. This means a lot more to a lot more people and the show of solidarity by Wimbledon will have meant a lot to the victims of Russian aggression. The LTA are an embarrassment. Even football got its act together over Russian participation in tournaments.

The LTA or the ATP?

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Obviously the right call and good to see someone show some integrity.

Either you ban every citizen from every country that invades another country or you don't do it at all. I've seen plenty of Americans, English, French play sports while their countries were killing innocent people in foreign countries.

Obviously, with your pious and high morale code you must be very against the illegal drug trade? (the one that encompasses violence, abuse, the sex trade, funds organised crime etc etc). Otherwise you'd be a complete ****ing hypocrite and moron always posting your "integrity" comments on here?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given their state sponsored doping they shouldn’t be anywhere near sport any way the cheats.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I fully agree with Kasparov about Russian sports competitors :

[Tweet]1527681453621927936[/Tweet]

[Tweet]1527682312900575233[/Tweet]

[Tweet]1527682916431581191[/Tweet]

Brilliant idea for exposing the hypocrites in the Russian sporting world and also allow participation by the civilized element. Do any of those who have opposed sporting sanctions on Russia agree ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here