Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will your job be automated?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
University professor 3.6%. In reality it is far higher than that. We've already been sounded out about having lectures videolinked to other lecture theatres as student demand on my course is so high. Surely it would be better for control and interaction purposes to either recruit more staff or build bigger lecture theatres?

If I was paying £9k a year I wouldn't be happy at having to watch a video link of every class. Technology in education should complement not substitute for face to face teaching IMO.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
University professor 3.6%. In reality it is far higher than that. We've already been sounded out about having lectures videolinked to other lecture theatres as student demand on my course is so high. Surely it would be better for control and interaction purposes to either recruit more staff or build bigger lecture theatres?

If I was paying £9k a year I wouldn't be happy at having to watch a video link of every class. Technology in education should complement not substitute for face to face teaching IMO.

Faces are small from a distance and what about hearing the lecturer! However lecturer's face size OK if lecture online, you can also adjust volume and view when you want, rewind, etc. Moocs (massive open online courses) are the future, surely.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Faces are small from a distance and what about hearing the lecturer! However lecturer's face size OK if lecture online, you can also adjust volume and view when you want, rewind, etc. Moocs (massive open online courses) are the future, surely.

I'm involved in a MOOC at present and enrolled on one myself a couple of years ago. They have a 90% dropout rate.

As for hearing the lecturer, it's a fair point, but most modern lecture theatres are miked up.

I record most classes using screen capture and output them as video podcasts. This allows students to ask questions during lectures instead of frantically copying every word I write on screen. If they are in a hurry they can watch the recording OR speak to me at the time. That way you get the best of both worlds.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I got 97.6%

But that's only because I couldn't find anything close to my job, so selected 'FASHION MODEL' instead. :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I don't think they'll ever come up with a robot that spends the day ARSING about on the internet and gets wound up by people (and animals) in the office. Not to mention taking a 15 minute DUMP at around 9.30am every day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I got 97.6%

But that's only because I couldn't find anything close to my job, so selected 'FASHION MODEL' instead. :thumbsup:

i rather think this show the test is a load of pony, as models are ever going to be automated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Herr Tubthumper has 100% of being automated. Apparently there are already robots who can repeatedly dredge The Guardian and reproduce the findings.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
2.7%. My job would be difficult to automate.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't think they'll ever come up with a robot that spends the day ARSING about on the internet and gets wound up by people (and animals) in the office. Not to mention taking a 15 minute DUMP at around 9.30am every day.

There is something especially satisfying about delaying a splashdown until work has started, and then the smug glow of knowing you are being paid as you open the trap door, approach Dresden and launch a brownberg into the chodpan.

The only thing I don't like about having a plop at work is if the cubicle next door is being used. It then becomes a classic example of game theory as to who breaks for the border first. Get it right and you can drop, wipe, wash hands and be out of the khazi before the person next door. Get it wrong and you have that awkward moment of not being able to look your boss in the eye and he knows you've been producing fizzy gravy for the last five minutes accompanied by a stench that could have cleared the trenches in the Somme.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I couldn't find "Striker for the Albion" but that's 100% unlikely to be automated as robots are diminutive, slow-paced, have no positional sense and can't kick properly

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
There is something especially satisfying about delaying a splashdown until work has started, and then the smug glow of knowing you are being paid as you open the trap door, approach Dresden and launch a brownberg into the chodpan.

:lolol:

The only thing I don't like about having a plop at work is if the cubicle next door is being used. It then becomes a classic example of game theory as to who breaks for the border first. Get it right and you can drop, wipe, wash hands and be out of the khazi before the person next door. Get it wrong and you have that awkward moment of not being able to look your boss in the eye and he knows you've been producing fizzy gravy for the last five minutes accompanied by a stench that could have cleared the trenches in the Somme.

I can usually get around this problem, to get to the toilets you have to go into the same corridor as the kitchen. I simply nip into the kitchen after dropping the kids off and return to the office with a cup of tea in hand, thus making it appear like I've just been in the kitchen chatting to someone.

There was guy in the next cubicle yesterday who had full on ARTILLERY on the go, machine guns, grenades, the works.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There was guy in the next cubicle yesterday who had full on ARTILLERY on the go, machine guns, grenades, the works.

Nothing worse than entering the can, leaving immediately and having to return two minutes later wearing at least a gas mask and potentially a tin hat too, especially if you have a mole at the counter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here