• Total voters

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Seriously??? You're giving up a season ticket because you don't like Barber's programme notes. Seriously??? Take a top tip from me - don't read them.

No,absolutely not!

Just an example of Barbersim as requested. I long since refused to buy programmes for my kids as a result of Barbers drivel, no loss to me or the kids.

My reasons for thinking about not renewing are numerous. Many issues such as midweeks games and the added grief that causes in travelling down from London and getting away from a demanding job in time, cost and justification of that with 4 season tickets also contribute. I also have to say that after the cost and efforts to get down it did make me wonder what the hell I was doing when the club stuck with Hyppia despite overwhelming evidence that he should be gone - this being one example of a refusal to budge, to listen, to consider the views of others (the fans).

For me (and I appreciate that this will vary from person to person) I would easily put all the practical issues to the back of my mind and let the renewals run and just deal with the issues arising IF I still had the love for the club that I once had. The real problem is that my immense pride of the club, what it stood for and what it achieved with the bond between fans and employees is a fraction of what it once was. I'm irritated by the clubs actions, embarrassed by some of what it now seems to stand for and this is what makes the other (the real issues) much more persuasive in considering not renewing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No,absolutely not!

Just an example of Barbersim as requested. I long since refused to buy programmes for my kids as a result of Barbers drivel, no loss to me or the kids.

My reasons for thinking about not renewing are numerous. Many issues such as midweeks games and the added grief that causes in travelling down from London and getting away from a demanding job in time, cost and justification of that with 4 season tickets also contribute. I also have to say that after the cost and efforts to get down it did make me wonder what the hell I was doing when the club stuck with Hyppia despite overwhelming evidence that he should be gone - this being one example of a refusal to budge, to listen, to consider the views of others (the fans).

For me (and I appreciate that this will vary from person to person) I would easily put all the practical issues to the back of my mind and let the renewals run and just deal with the issues arising IF I still had the love for the club that I once had. The real problem is that my immense pride of the club, what it stood for and what it achieved with the bond between fans and employees is a fraction of what it once was. I'm irritated by the clubs actions, embarrassed by some of what it now seems to stand for and this is what makes the other (the real issues) much more persuasive in considering not renewing.

I think anyone would be sympathetic to this

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Depends if you think that NSC is representative of a typical match day crowd.

Personally i'll be renewing as i go to every home match, hence it makes financial sense. I will though at some stage in the future probably have to move from my current seat, because of cost.

It is a large enough of a poll to be able to use, infact you could say NSC is more fervent that your average sth

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
As an Eastbourne resident, and with my lovely full price seat in WSU now working out at a real cost of about £14 per game, I think I'll give the Albion one more season...

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Not sure exactly why some have such a big problem with PB. In all the decades that I have supported the club, I don't think communication from the CEO has ever been better. Of course there are things that some don't like but what you don't like others might. The club wouldn't have to attract the new modern fan if all the old more traditional ones were prepared to spend a lot more to take up the shortfall in income. You might not like the involvement of Nike or American Express but take them out of the equation and this 'traditional' supporter would have to fund even more.

Prices for season tickets remain the same. subsidized travel is being extended and we still have the monthly DDs.

So you're saying that the problem is that traditional supporters are spending nowhere nearly enough money and that's why they are having to be replaced/supplemented by 'new modern' fans who spend a lot more?

Questions... Where's the evidence that traditional supporters spend less than 'new modern fans'? What are 'new modern fans'? What additional new modern things are these arrivistes spending money on? And has Paul Barber really succeeded in attracting new supporters anyway (my impression was that by the end of his first season with us the football management was in chaos and, as night follows day, the team got worse, the prices of too many things started rising in perfect synch with his salary and the supporters - predominantly the new ones - started drifting away)?

Could be wrong I suppose.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
After Birmingham and tonights game have decided YES YES YES can I change my vote from undecided ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The last couple of results should change a few minds, very difficult season for supporters. Bit of luck = confidence = wins = confidence...

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
No. I've been a season ticket holder since the first season at Falmer (wasn't one at Withdean), but this will be my last (for now). The reasons are split between the matchday experience, and ennui with pro football more generally.

Between the Premier League TV deal, paying the 'living wage', Ched Evans, Sky Sports, Sepp Blatter, Qatar 2022, FFP reticence, and the FA I'm just not sure I'm in love with the game in the same way as I used to be. And the fact that I can spend a small fraction of the price to watch a more local team, on a terrace, with a beer in hand, makes the lower league experience all the more preferable.

The Albion are by no means the worst example of what's wrong with modern football, but the matchday experience has been ruined by the people I have been placed near in these last four years. In the first two years of being in the North Stand I was in front of a vile and overweight racist, who shouted the sorts of things that made you wince. Last season I moved to the NW corner but this time was adjacent to a smelly old man who told me off for celebrating too hard. I moved again to elsewhere in the NW corner but am now next to the sort of vicious ******** with entitled and moronic children that I imagine even his mother hates. In my experience the vast majority of Albion fans are perfectly nice, and probably even more so than your average football fan, but I'm not prepared to pay hundreds of pounds a year to spend my free time in the company of people I would typically cross the road to avoid.

I imagine I'll continue to go to away games at the nicer grounds, and the occasional home game when the timing suits.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
No. I've been a season ticket holder since the first season at Falmer (wasn't one at Withdean), but this will be my last (for now). The reasons are split between the matchday experience, and ennui with pro football more generally.

Between the Premier League TV deal, paying the 'living wage', Ched Evans, Sky Sports, Sepp Blatter, Qatar 2022, FFP reticence, and the FA I'm just not sure I'm in love with the game in the same way as I used to be. And the fact that I can spend a small fraction of the price to watch a more local team, on a terrace, with a beer in hand, makes the lower league experience all the more preferable.

The Albion are by no means the worst example of what's wrong with modern football, but the matchday experience has been ruined by the people I have been placed near in these last four years. In the first two years of being in the North Stand I was in front of a vile and overweight racist, who shouted the sorts of things that made you wince. Last season I moved to the NW corner but this time was adjacent to a smelly old man who told me off for celebrating too hard. I moved again to elsewhere in the NW corner but am now next to the sort of vicious ******** with entitled and moronic children that I imagine even his mother hates. In my experience the vast majority of Albion fans are perfectly nice, and probably even more so than your average football fan, but I'm not prepared to pay hundreds of pounds a year to spend my free time in the company of people I would typically cross the road to avoid.

I imagine I'll continue to go to away games at the nicer grounds, and the occasional home game when the timing suits.

You sound like a right snob.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Most of us fall in and out of love during a long life. You will come back when your ready

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Was undecided but will now stick with it with as will my son. We believe CH will get us pushing for the play-offs next season in the Championship

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I just hope we assemble a squad of players the fans can believe in who actually want to be at this club. Sick and tired of 5 or 6 loanees and Kemy The Clown.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I just hope we assemble a squad of players the fans can believe in who actually want to be at this club.

I believe we can. I don't think we really had any 'Garcia players' let alone 'Hyypia Players' but we already have at least one (Kayal) Hughton player. Hughton should lead on recruitment targets in the summer and I'm confident he'll get some more diamonds as well as a couple of value loans. I'm already looking forward to an interesting summer of transfers as we loose the likes of Bennett, Kemy, McCourt, CMS, Best, O'Grady, Hughes, Fenelon, Monakana as well as a few others and start signing some Hughton targets.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Heard this weekend that my brother in law will not be renewing as he is looking to retire and probably go off for long periods ese around Europe, and also with Tony Langridge who sat the other side of me sadly not around anymore, I will have a new person either side.

So I will see how it goes next season, but my golf subscription goes up in April 2016 to around £1k so I will give up the ST and pick and chose the games to watch as I much prefer golf these days as I can't really justify golf and football costs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For me, I have no complaints over Barber's tenure, especially since the nettte was firmly grasped over Burke's failure and the recognition from Bloom that costly squad investment is very much needed to compete. The price of programmes, teas, cup tickets, etc, would be pushed as high as possible under any sound Board or Chief Executive - the money is needed for transfer fees, player wages and the sheer cost of running a vast modern stadium. IMO, blaming Barber is blaming the messenger.

The doubts I have about renewing stem from:

The whole hassle of getting to/from the stadium, the queues, the jogging to a stampede to get a decent bus time, having to plan and book well ahead if you want to use Seagulls Travel. All that has made it a much more protracted exercise than the old drive near-ish then walk.

Sitting out in the cold in evening games - being a wimp with constant cold bugs passed on from my kids, I've missed countless games due to man-flu or man-colds.

The uninspiring lack of home team goals football, of the Amex era, although I have faith in Hughton finally turning that around.

My son jacked in going to games half way through the first Amex season, making the trip far less social for me.

I will be weighing it up over the next two weeks.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
For me, I have no complaints over Barber's tenure, especially since the nettte was firmly grasped over Burke's failure and the recognition from Bloom that costly squad investment is very much needed to compete. The price of programmes, teas, cup tickets, etc, would be pushed as high as possible under any sound Board or Chief Executive - the money is needed for transfer fees, player wages and the sheer cost of running a vast modern stadium. IMO, blaming Barber is blaming the messenger.

The doubts I have about renewing stem from:

The whole hassle of getting to/from the stadium, the queues, the jogging to a stampede to get a decent bus time, having to plan and book well ahead if you want to use Seagulls Travel. All that has made it a much more protracted exercise than the old drive near-ish then walk.

Sitting out in the cold in evening games - being a wimp with constant cold bugs passed on from my kids, I've missed countless games due to man-flu or man-colds.

The uninspiring lack of home team goals football, of the Amex era, although I have faith in Hughton finally turning that around.

My son jacked in going to games half way through the first Amex season, making the trip far less social for me.

I will be weighing it up over the next two weeks.

Yes, the nettle was firmly grasped over David Burke's failure but if Paul Barber was involved in his removal, as I think you imply, it took him an awful long time to grasp it - he joined the club before the start of season 2012/13. By the time DB left the steep decline in the Albion's fortunes - which began in, um, season 2012/13 - was reaching a critical point.

It will be said by some that the chief executive has no influence over the retention of managers such as David Burke. Certainly no one could blame him for the fact that the Amex is more awkward to get to than Withdean or the Goldstone. (I live a 12 minute drive from the Amex and yet on a matchday I'm out of the house for nearer five hours than four.) What I do wish though is that he would stop blathering on about the 'superior matchday experience'. It suggests he lives in a corporate cocoon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports