Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you RENEW your season ticket ?

Will you renew your season ticket ?

• Total voters

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
There is something to this, I think. In the Withdean days there was no 'them' and 'us', it was just 'us'.

How many players and other club staff do we feel like that about now really, when it comes down to it? Calde is the obvious one - I'm not sure there are any others.

From his utterances I would put Nathan Jones up for the fight if it came to it.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I voted yes, wife, eldest and myself are all renewing. Daughter is undecided as hers will be full price as she has turned 18. Quite surprised only 15 per cent are voting No. I'm no statistician but would guess that was a reasonable figure to expect year on year. No doubt some of the slack will be taken up by new season ticket holders just as it was last season although like this year with not so much appetite, it will be even worse in league one.
As an optimist I'm looking forward to next season, one which hopefully will allow the manager control over the coming and going of players and time to build a new team. End of next season may be a different matter.

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
Surely the evidence that we're averaging closer to 16,000 gates is indicative of how people are feeling at the moment. What concerns me is, of those attendees, how many feel obligated to attend because they've paid, but won't renew and will then stop going to games? The football's been dross, the transfers have been abysmal, what is there to attract 'newer' fans back for more? For the many thousands that barely knew of Brighton's existence pre Amex there won't be a real feeling of loyalty, they'll leave it quite happily but will return as soon as the good times return, that is of course their choice, but the club could have done a lot more in the last 3/4 windows to keep them keen.

Good post, but it's not just the 'newer fans' we should be worried about. This thread is littered with examples of long standing supporters for whom this season seems to be the last straw, for one reason or another.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
For me, Greer as the long-serving skipper, Dunk because he is Brighton, Ince because he scraps for everything and to a lesser extent O'Grady because he's proved he's a regular bloke. But I agree with your overall point Bozza.

PG
Also Lua Lua

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
There is something to this, I think. In the Withdean days there was no 'them' and 'us', it was just 'us'.

How many players and other club staff do we feel like that about now really, when it comes down to it? Calde is the obvious one - I'm not sure there are any others.

I agree with this too, although in the Withdean years it sometimes got more complicated than that. Dean Wilkins was said to want an 'us against the rest of the world' policy in his dressing room - the players versus everyone outside that door... staff, directors, supporters, away teams... everyone seen as a potential enemy in order to get the team fighting like brothers for the cause. It didn't always work completely brilliantly - Micky Mark One did it better, picking strong men for his team to build the spirit of stand or fall. He could be impatient with non-footballing people but he and the big characters in the club worked together, irritating the hell out of each other on occasions but always understanding a sense of shared ambition.

Things seem more clinical now. I imagine a world where employees come and go, spreadsheets consulted, salaries paid, odds assessed (no one does that better than Tony Bloom) and informed-predictions-going-forward made. I just hope that enough people there understand what makes people come to football matches. It's kind of important.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I probably won't. I rarely make evening games due to my location and although I love my seats I have probably paid more per game than if I had bought individually.

There used to be demand for tickets meaning I could find a home for them when I wasn't able to attend but it has dried up and posting tickets has become more hassle than it's worth.

Not having seen us win a league game yet this season may also have some bearing on my decision!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The results of this pole must be a bit concerning for the Club, NSC seems to be ubiquitous among a broad spread of Brighton fans - 65% renewal rate is not brilliant.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Good post, but it's not just the 'newer fans' we should be worried about. This thread is littered with examples of long standing supporters for whom this season seems to be the last straw, for one reason or another.

This was the same for me last year and I ended up not renewing our S/T's for this season (1 x adult & 2 x under 18's). I had never been so bored watching us play as I was last season and my first game was in 1963! Add to that the fact that my 10 year old Grandson moved into the under 18 price and it meant I would have had to shell out £1300 for our WSU seats. When you add in our match day expenditure and purchases from the club shop the final cost for this season would have been around £2300 and I couldn't justify that.
I know we could have changed to cheaper seats but we liked the view and the people we sat with, I just couldn't be arsed based on the dire football and the ever increasing costs. We've been to a couple of games this season but I've seen nothing to make me change my mind about renewing our S/T's.
I seem to have lost my Albion mojo, or rather had it knocked out of me. :(

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
64% of what must be considered the hard core are intending to renew? I wonder what percentage of those who bought a season ticket expecting to be entertained but are not really hardened Albion fans will renew. It won't even be close to 60% imo

The club SHOULD be very concerned about renewals, whether they are or not remains to be seen.

This is my first season as a STH and I wouldn't consider myself a 'hardened' Albion fan. Always followed em as my local team. It's cheap football compared to what I am used to and I am definately renewing for next season. I've actually quite enjoyed the whole experience this season. Totally different to what I am used to where I expect to see the home team win pretty much every game. I like the anticipation. I'm up for more of the same.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm rather kicking myself for also not pointing out how bogus the 64% is with 20% undecided.

That's assuming all the undecided are actually 'no'.
An easy assumption to make on the back of 2 toothless performances and a horror show v Forest.

A fresh poll might be very different in the unlikely event of the team playing Brum and Leeds off the pitch, and jumping a fair few places up the table.

I hadn't really thought about the 'revolving door' policy at the club and all the loanees having an impact, but that does make sense.

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yep me, 4 seasons ST holder here at Amex, Withdean attendee, Goldstone regular since 1977, first game in 74....... so, I have had enough.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is my first season as a STH and I wouldn't consider myself a 'hardened' Albion fan. Always followed em as my local team. It's cheap football compared to what I am used to and I am definately renewing for next season. I've actually quite enjoyed the whole experience this season. Totally different to what I am used to where I expect to see the home team win pretty much every game. I like the anticipation. I'm up for more of the same.

Arsenal?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
One thing that a casual fan said to me the other day is the revolving door policy at the albion that is putting him off renewing.

over the last few seasons, we have seen so many players come and go, it feels like the very soul has been ripped out of the club with journeymen coming and going with no love for the club and its fans. Now fans are talking about ripping the team up again and next year starting again! So here we have come full circle.

What we need is a stable group of players, where loans are only required to cover long term, or short term specific injuries!

Big 'this'.
Take for example my 7 yr old boy. He gets to all Saturday afternoon games and every time he turns up it's a case of "ah no, sorry son, those two players you were growing fond of, Bent and Colunga, well they have now gone actually but we got this great new Israeli fellow and this amazing forward called Best'. His favourite player last year was Lingard and his favourite player this year is Tex. He can't keep up with who's with us and who isn't. "But why is Bent playing at Derby with Lingard" he asks - now there is a question.
The lack of continuity amongst the playing staff is a hugely prohibitive factor in keeping the interest of the new and young fans.
When I first started following you had Mellor, Maybank and Poskett and for good or for bad you at least knew they'd more than likely be with you for a season at least.
The Chelsea team that is on telly every week (which seems to have a far more stable starting eleven irrespective of their massive squad) is a hugely seductive alternative to an impressionable 7 year old and leads to some serious BHA public relations work from his old man in order to keep this particular newbie on board.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Big 'this'.
Take for example my 7 yr old boy. He gets to all Saturday afternoon games and every time he turns up it's a case of "ah no, sorry son, those two players you were growing fond of, Bent and Colunga, well they have now gone actually but we got this great new Israeli fellow and this amazing forward called Best'. His favourite player last year was Lingard and his favourite player this year is Tex. He can't keep up with who's with us and who isn't. "But why is Bent playing at Derby with Lingard" he asks - now there is a question.
The lack of continuity amongst the playing staff is a hugely prohibitive factor in keeping the interest of the new and young fans.

I was very surprised that Leon Best was the player chosen to attend the signing session at the Amex yesterday. Why not choose one of our own players for this? Surely any of Dunk, Greer, Calde, Bruno, Stockdale, JFC, Ince, March, LuaLua or the perma-popular CMS would have been a more appropriate and, dare I say it, popular choice.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I was very surprised that Leon Best was the player chosen to attend the signing session at the Amex yesterday. Why not choose one of our own players for this? Surely any of Dunk, Greer, Calde, Bruno, Stockdale, JFC, Ince, March, LuaLua or the perma-popular CMS would have been a more appropriate and, dare I say it, popular choice.

Simple! All the others have been to more signing sessions than we have had wins (this season)! Leon Best may be useless (currently) but he's fresh!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Teacher's (managers) Pet :smile:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Simple! All the others have been to more signing sessions than we have had wins (this season)! Leon Best may be useless (currently) but he's fresh!

I worry that it reflects previous with Hughton. COG has been benched just when it looked like he may have found his feet. The Argus article (Monday?) saying how Best was going to break his goal drought v Brum looked more than speculation and suggests that CH is going to persevere regardless. If this is the case then I really do worry on more than one front.

My indecision re next season actually might extend to more than maybe being away 3 months!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here