Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we stay up? Your thoughts

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Kind of confused by the line //and with the whole spectre of this phony pandemic lurking in the background// how can it be phony if it is lurking in the background? if you think its phony what are your reasons for thinking so?

Other than that I agree with you, I don't think the league should restart, billionaire owners need to put their hands into their pockets and pay back the TV royalties (probably once they have done a deal it will cost them about 30m each) its pretty clear to me that the money is the sticking point and the owners and the rights companies are pushing for a restart rather than come to a deal regarding payment. From the little the players have said it would appear that they are not keen to get back onto the pitch, for example Wolves we be without their captain if he sticks to his word. Personally I think Barber had the best solution call the league as it stands, no relegation, promote 2 (not sure how Fulham will take that). But it is looking like they will force the league back, so I am wondering how we will fair.

The other issue of course is if its not safe to restart the season why would it be safe to start the 20/21 campaign in say October let alone August when it is due to start.

they have ramped this virus up way above its legitimate status .....more people have died of the flu in uk , us and aus over the last 5 years on average than what have died from covid this flu season......the powers that be are justifying their existence by " keeping us safe" ie , stressing the **** out of everyone ...anyway , i'm not sold on the whole idea of this deadly pandemic ....in my opinion its a hoax.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
they have ramped this virus up way above its legitimate status .....more people have died of the flu in uk , us and aus over the last 5 years on average than what have died from covid this flu season......the powers that be are justifying their existence by " keeping us safe" ie , stressing the **** out of everyone ...anyway , i'm not sold on the whole idea of this deadly pandemic ....in my opinion its a hoax.

Are you for real. What you are saying is bit like if I had flames licking at my house, I call the fire brigade and they put it out and then I say there was never a fire.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Are you for real. What you are saying is bit like if I had flames licking at my house, I call the fire brigade and they put it out and then I say there was never a fire.

there is soooo much BS flying around.....apparently doctors in France have autopsied bodies from november and some of them have come back positive for covid, so by that reckoning there was never a fire in the first place.....look at the numbers for goodness sake and all the crap about asymptomatic carriers ....flu kills tens of thousands every year .......it's a fact.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

Go on the Covid thread if you want to talk about that, you’ll see why there are many who think this whole thing is a massive overreaction.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Can't disagree with any of that. Although don't think C will change regardless of what division we are in. Just need to pick the sources you trust and disregard the rest.

Went to Arsenal this year and thought it was terrible despite the result. 10-20 years ago (and no doubt further back) if we'd taken 3k to a midweek London game it would have been a blinding night.

Palace last season was a belter though. I'll give you that. But it was that night McShane scored.

But you are right, well at least I think you are, hence my point about beating Rotherham as opposed to losing to Chelsea.

Interesting subject that I’ve thought about for a while.

I don’t think I would rather we beat Rotherham than lose to Chelsea. For me, the whole point is to be playing at the top table, if it was all about winning for me then I could be a plastic and support Liverpool.

I get where you are coming from though, as games don’t seem to have as much riding on them anymore and so the thrill of a win isn’t always there, even though they are more hard to come by, or even the disappointment doesn’t hit me as hard. I think this because 1. We are used to losing 2. We don’t need nowhere near as many wins to achieve our goal (which is just to stay up) and 3. No one (apart from you know who) really cares about us in the PL.

When in The Championship we really needed to win and expected to win almost every game, we don’t need to do that now unless we need say 3 wins out of 5 to stay up.

Even though I probably get more excitement from us being in a lower league (until our goal changes from just survival) I’d much rather us be a top 20 club though. Occasionally, we do get great days like Arsenal away, maybe they makes it all worth it.

To be fair, we haven’t really been shit, we’ve nearly taken points at Old Trafford and Anfield and that’s insane. At the moment I do feel like we’re a bit of a rabbit in headlights, but it could’ve been a lot worse.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Interesting subject that I’ve thought about for a while.

I don’t think I would rather we beat Rotherham than lose to Chelsea. For me, the whole point is to be playing at the top table, if it was all about winning for me then I could be a plastic and support Liverpool.

I get where you are coming from though, as games don’t seem to have as much riding on them anymore and so the thrill of a win isn’t always there, even though they are more hard to come by, or even the disappointment doesn’t hit me as hard. I think this because 1. We are used to losing 2. We don’t need nowhere near as many wins to achieve our goal (which is just to stay up) and 3. No one (apart from you know who) really cares about us in the PL.

When in The Championship we really needed to win and expected to win almost every game, we don’t need to do that now unless we need say 3 wins out of 5 to stay up.

Even though I probably get more excitement from us being in a lower league (until our goal changes from just survival) I’d much rather us be a top 20 club though. Occasionally, we do get great days like Arsenal away, maybe they makes it all worth it.

To be fair, we haven’t really been shit, we’ve nearly taken points at Old Trafford and Anfield and that’s insane. At the moment I do feel like we’re a bit of a rabbit in headlights, but it could’ve been a lot worse.

Cheers for the reply...interesting take though. If the whole point is only to play at the top table isn't that well.....errrrrr a bit plastic? Well maybe not plastic but it isn't that for me at all, football exists outside the premier league and goes a long way down. The best times I've had following this football club are when we've been shit and not had a pot to piss in. Perhaps that is why I've had enough of the premier league ride.

Don't get me wrong I'd take Brighton beating the likes of Chelsea over the likes of Rotherham every day of the week. Its great to be at that top table but if all we have to look forward to each season is a relegation battle and at best a mid table finish then would it really be that bad if we did yoyo a bit?

And I agree, aside from a couple of noticeable exceptions we've been far from shit this season. Hence my comments earlier on the thread about sticking with Potter whatever happens.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Has there been any indication in the order/ schedule of what the remaining games will be?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not officially but it has been said that the original order of the matches could have to change slightly depending upon local policing resources (even bearing in mind no fans should be expected outside of grounds).

We still had the Leicester away game to put into our schedule so the exact order of games will be anyone's guess.

Oh, and by the way - who's in the FA Cup Final today?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cheers for the reply...interesting take though. If the whole point is only to play at the top table isn't that well.....errrrrr a bit plastic? Well maybe not plastic but it isn't that for me at all, football exists outside the premier league and goes a long way down. The best times I've had following this football club are when we've been shit and not had a pot to piss in. Perhaps that is why I've had enough of the premier league ride.

Don't get me wrong I'd take Brighton beating the likes of Chelsea over the likes of Rotherham every day of the week. Its great to be at that top table but if all we have to look forward to each season is a relegation battle and at best a mid table finish then would it really be that bad if we did yoyo a bit?

And I agree, aside from a couple of noticeable exceptions we've been far from shit this season. Hence my comments earlier on the thread about sticking with Potter whatever happens.

I wonder if our PL status has had two conscious or subconscious effects on fans:

a) A tick that we finally got to the PL and stayed there, taking away decades of frustration, and everyone being relieved for TB financially. A quiet satisfaction.

b) Regarding the actual football, an acceptance, a normalisation in our mindset, that winning PL games of football is an infrequent event, that non-winning runs can last for a month, two or three. Our win rate over the three seasons of 23%. A personal theory is that those who go to games for the craic and downing of pints, remain happy. I’m surrounded by many such folk in the NS, they don’t seem bothered by losing or conceding goals, happily chatting, often not watching the football at all, orchestrating the next snacks and beers, merry.

Most Albion supporters I think always have hope that these are our learning seasons, that the club are a smidgen away from making two or three key signings, to turn us into regular winners in mid-table. The optimism of football followers.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

I’m almost on the fence really, I just think that the whole point of what the club and fans went through was to get to the top division, I don’t think any of us thought we’d be winning most weeks when we got there. I think I’d enjoy it a lot more if Palace were relegated, to be in a division above them would be brilliant, but to be a division below them again would be depressing.

I agree with you on when we were in the shit it was bloody good fun, but we haven’t been in the shit for a while, but if we lost at Bristol Rovers under Slade I doubt it would’ve been much fun at all! Or if we lost against Ipswich on the final day at Withdean. Apart from a few cup clashes, we haven’t really had any do or die games in the PL, but if we needed to win on the final day of the season to stay up, then maybe we’ll get those feelings back again.

Regarding where we are now, I would rather beat Chelsea once and lose 3 games (in the PL) than beat Bristol City, QPR and Hull City (in The Championship). Sure, we lose more games, but we are in the top 20 and in doing so kind of means we are beating every team in the divisions below every season anyway. Because of this, I think I’ve found it a lot easier to accept a loss than I thought I might’ve. It’s all very well winning every game in League 1, but it’s a 3rd rate form of winning really and I’ve seen us play in all 4 divisions, all those clubs want to be where we are.

That being said, I do miss the necessity of winning, but I guess I’m kind of ok with the idea of winning 10-11 games with a few draws to stay up because that is an achievement for us at this stage. I just think it’s going to take a lot of time to push for better things and I don’t see how us becoming a yo-yo club will help that.

Our best chance of success is in the cups, with us staying in the PL I can really see us getting to a lot more semi finals or even finals.

Like I said, I get where you are coming from, but I really don’t want to experience a relegation again.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Understandably, plenty of players won't want to play due to the increased risk of catching the virus, since it's impossible to social distance etc. That will distort the remaining games, and make the final table a joke. Teams shouldn't be relegated based on what happens with these false games.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I wonder if our PL status has had two conscious or subconscious effects on fans:

a) A tick that we finally got to the PL and stayed there, taking away decades of frustration, and everyone being relieved for TB financially. A quiet satisfaction.

b) Regarding the actual football, an acceptance, a normalisation in our mindset, that winning PL games of football is an infrequent event, that non-winning runs can last for a month, two or three. Our win rate over the three seasons of 23%. A personal theory is that those who go to games for the craic and downing of pints, remain happy. I’m surrounded by many such folk in the NS, they don’t seem bothered by losing or conceding goals, happily chatting, often not watching the football at all, orchestrating the next snacks and beers, merry.

Most Albion supporters I think always have hope that these are our learning seasons, that the club are a smidgen away from making two or three key signings, to turn us into regular winners in mid-table. The optimism of football followers.

Agree with A, it seems to me like the point of going up and down the leagues was to get to this position and it was Tony’s ambition.

I definitely take losing badly, but probably not as bad as I would take it in a lower division! (unless it’s Palace, felt really shit after that loss)

Last edited:

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
As fans, we surely have to want the club to be winning rather than losing and if we win more than we lose for long enough we will be in the top division, at which point we will lose more than we win, unless something miraculous happens. We have to modify our expectations and not get too depressed by bad results, realising that the wins mean more (Tottenham this season, Palace x 2 last season, Manchester United) but it's difficult. At least at the beginning of this season we were trying to play in a more positive way, and having a go was better than just retreating to our own 18-yard line and waiting for the next opposition attack. Maybe when/if the season restarts we'll get back to that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with A, it seems to me like the point of going up and down the leagues was to get to this position and it was Tony’s ambition.

I definitely take losing badly, but probably not as bad as I would take it in a lower division! (unless it’s Palace, felt really shit after that loss)

If we play badly and lose (SheffU at home, all those 2019 CH matches), I often join the NSC collective venting of spleens on the day. It’s cathartic, by getting annoyance and frustration out of your system. Some deem it disloyal, but towards the end of CH’s days so many NSC’ers were fed up and started skipping matches, it was apparent that majority were sick and tired of ineptness on and off the pitch.

It does the trick, the next day I’ve moved on.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Go on the Covid thread if you want to talk about that, you’ll see why there are many who think this whole thing is a massive overreaction.

Why would I bother listening to the vapid opinions of people who do not have all the information or the training to know what to do with it if they had it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Chance of relegation is obvious, sadly. It isnt deserved. Football overall has easily been mid-tier but the results just havent been there. The club is great from the boardroom down to the worst player, but its lacking the "oomph" factor, someone who relatively consistently bring out skills to get points. Someone like who Trossard should and maybe could be.

Its unfortunate. Too many missed chances in important moments. Wasted advantages. Nobodys fault really, its just that the margins + a lack of a real star just took its toll and now its hard with the schedule that is.

This break will make it even more difficult as, like we've seen in Bundesliga, pure skill comes more into play when you cant scout properly, cant train tactics as much as raw conditioning etc, this corona shit probably hurt Brighton more than any other team, though January really was the main problem (bad performances early + bad results in the latter part even if performances improved).

Relegation could definitely happen. The club is very sound though and promotion from the Championship would happen - probably immediatly but otherwise later.

Brighton is going to become a mid-tier PL team in the long run, anything else would shock me. The owner is clever, the city is attractive, the stadium is big and with the potential to grow.. its going to end up well and this would just be a small backlash.

Personally I ofc hope GP will stay even if the team is relegated. Considering the circumstances, its pretty likely he will. At some point that man is going to do fantastic stuff and I really hope its in Brighton, its a great match if everyone got a bit of patience and trust.

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
Loads of interesting opinions on this thread, but to go back to the original question I think the clue is in the question "So it looks like the money is going to talk ". Sadly I have no confidence in the Premier League or the football authorities. You have to ask yourself who would the money folk want to have in the Premier League?
So my prediction is that it will somehow be fiddled so that staying up are West Ham and Aston Villa and going down is Norwich and two out of us, Bournemouth and Watford. Unfortunately I think that the PL see Bournemouth as being the "plucky underdog" team that make it look like an honest competition. So I am not as hopeful as I should be given that we are the best of the 6.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If your a Barnet or Rotherham and get promoted to the championship, then they are in a similar position to the current Brighton club, in that the best they can hope for is avoiding the bottom 3 and maybe get to mid table. I would rather that happening in the most popular league in the world, with hope of gradually improving and with a genuine chance to win one of the Cup competitions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here