Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we outspend any of the top 5 in January?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Well, yes - Vydra was one of the dumbest deals in football for a long time.

2 million + wages for a player who has to be given back 'on a free' 9 months later.

How is that significantly different from £6 million plus wages for a three-year contract, unless you want to sell them after a season or two?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How is that significantly different from £6 million plus wages for a three-year contract, unless you want to sell them after a season or two?

Well if the player ran down his contract it would be unfortunate, but I'm sure the thinking would be to extend the deal, or sell on at some point.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i would expect us to spend, but not wildly. we must look at goal scorer, because as well as we are doing we aren't scoring enough. left back is a concern and probably a winger and cover/competition. it is the season to gamble a bit, because where we are is a massive opportunity. would be massive let down if we kept the wallet closed and lost in the play offs after missing automatic promotion due to goal difference. we need to add enough new faces to keep everyone sharp while not unsettling the team, so it wont be 10's of millions but i'd expect several million spent.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Calleri (#HoldTheNerve)

A 93 day left back

Van La Parra

Towell already signed.

I suspect there is a grain of truth in the Bridcutt return rumour as well.

Try to move on Chicksen and Holla.

I think that's pretty close to what is planned although if Bridders returns we could possibly see JFC &/or Ince going out on loan. At 22, Monakana should be an option for the bench, especially (god forbid) if Murphy gets injured in December; if CH can't use him, then maybe he'll be shipped?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Indeed. Look at Reading / Vydra.

As I understood it we were in for Vydra until the last knockings when Reading matched watford's asking price for the loan. On this basis we must've been close to spunking a load of short term money on the risk. And I think he would've done well with us.

larus

i would expect us to spend, but not wildly. we must look at goal scorer, because as well as we are doing we aren't scoring enough. left back is a concern and probably a winger and cover/competition. it is the season to gamble a bit, because where we are is a massive opportunity. would be massive let down if we kept the wallet closed and lost in the play offs after missing automatic promotion due to goal difference. we need to add enough new faces to keep everyone sharp while not unsettling the team, so it wont be 10's of millions but i'd expect several million spent.

Only Fulham have now scored more than us. It could be argued that our issue now is that we are conceding too many.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
FFP question. If Dunk recently turned down a £4 million move does that mean he is worth that much as an asset and as such can be offset from any losses? In the same way is Solly now worth £8 million as Southampton seem to think so?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Only Fulham have now scored more than us. It could be argued that our issue now is that we are conceding too many.
True, but we've relied on the midfield too much for those goals. If Wilson is to stay we should be ok, but there's no guarantee he will.

FFP question. If Dunk recently turned down a £4 million move does that mean he is worth that much as an asset and as such can be offset from any losses?
No.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

blimey... funny how something gets in your head and stays. yes, same goals for as Middlesborough and Hull.... get some defenders in!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
As I understood it we were in for Vydra until the last knockings when Reading matched watford's asking price for the loan. On this basis we must've been close to spunking a load of short term money on the risk. And I think he would've done well with us.

That's not the point. It was just an example to show that short term money spunking is not always the answer.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bit confused about the defence bit here. 5th best defence and second best goals scored. :shrug:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Bit confused about the defence bit here. 5th best defence and second best goals scored. :shrug:
We've got the (at least joint) worst goal scoring record by defenders in the entire football league though: a big fat zero.

Imagine what our score lines will look like when this lot start to chip in.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
We've got the (at least joint) worst goal scoring record by defenders in the entire football league though: a big fat zero.

Imagine what our score lines will look like when this lot start to chip in.

We've scored the 2nd most goals in the Championship and yet our top goal scorer only has 6 and our defenders are yet to score.

Weird season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here