Will we get to the Prem with Gus as manager?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we get to the Prem while Gus is gaffer?

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Big fat YES from me.

Not referring to any specific season, just asking whether we'll we get there with Gus, sooner or later.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I was extremely doubtful midway through this season but have now amended my stance to 'maybe'.

However, more than the manager it depends on playing budget and I don't doubt Gus would get us promoted with a playing budget like Cardiff.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
I actually think Gus works better on a smaller budget. He spends too much money and always wants more which must f*** off Bloom considering how much money we're losing. That said I think he will eventually. Keeping us up on the other hand I highly doubt.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I voted no (surprise, surprise) not because I don't think he could get us there if given enough time and enough cash. But because I think he will leave before he gets us there. I still think we can get in the play offs, I think we will lose in the play offs and then a prem club will come in (Probably West Ham) and he will go. Which won't be the end of the world, because whoever comes in, will have all pre season with a talented squad and be able to add a few of his own. Then we will go up next year automatic.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
normally more on fence but went for a no - I can only see it if he spends vast amounts to try and remove the element of risk by sheer quality of team, which is clearly not going to happen with FFP. I think otherwise he will be the 'near miss man', close, maybe even play off final close, but just not that extra few tiny % good enough to motivate and gel a team to play consistently well which they have to make the jump to the premiership. I'd be over the moon to be shown to be wrong about this.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I think he will, and because of the style of football we play we will have more chance of staying there, much like Swansea.

Lets not forget, if he wasnt with us would we have players such as Koosh, Bridge, Vicente etc playinjg for us? I doubt it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Lets not forget, if he wasnt with us would we have players such as Koosh, Bridge, Vicente etc playinjg for us? I doubt it.

What bollocks. You're trying to tell me Mickey couldn't convince Vicente to come down and play with Tommy Fraser and Doug Loft?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Now this is a question which has a few angles.

If it's do I think Gus can get us to the prem? then I aswer ABSOLUTELY YES.

However, if it's "Do you think we will get to the prem, and gus will be our manager when we do?" then I'm not sure.

If he stays, we WILL get there. It's whether he gets a great offer elsewhere that would be the only way I can't see it happening.

Have I made that more confusing than it needed to be?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Now this is a question which has a few angles.

If it's do I think Gus can get us to the prem? then I aswer ABSOLUTELY YES.

However, if it's "Do you think we will get to the prem, and gus will be our manager when we do?" then I'm not sure.

If he stays, we WILL get there. It's whether he gets a great offer elsewhere that would be the only way I can't see it happening.

Have I made that more confusing than it needed to be?

Do you think he'll really get a "great" offer without having got us promoted first?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd vote yes, but that only comes from not wanting to be looking for the manager that will, every season.

I like the continuity of 1 manager, his squad, his style of play.
I'd be mightily fooked off if I was a Rovers, B'pool, Forest, Chelsea et al fan.

If it ain't broke...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Do you think he'll really get a "great" offer without having got us promoted first?

Perhaps not, but there are a few clubs who I think would be happy to dip into this division for a manager who are appealing.

West Ham, Swansea, Norwich, Villa maybe even Everton after Moyes.

Of course, I may be completely wrong in listing those teams and they may want proven top-level management.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Perhaps not, but there are a few clubs who I think would be happy to dip into this division for a manager who are appealing.

West Ham, Swansea, Norwich, Villa maybe even Everton after Moyes.

Of course, I may be completely wrong in listing those teams and they may want proven top-level management.

Hasn't Gus said numerous times that it would have to be something really, really, really special for him to leave? i.e. Real Madrid, Barca, Zaragoza, Uruguay, Chelsea or Spurs?

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex
Perhaps the question should have been "Are there any reasons why we couldn't get to the Premiership with Gus as manager"? I can't come up with any.

To answer the original question in my opinion of course we can, and we do seem to play much better against Premiership Clubs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To answer the original question in my opinion of course we can, and we do seem to play much better against Premiership Clubs.

You misread my question. It's not CAN we, it's WILL we?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The longer we stick with Gus, while being competitive the more attractive The Albion becomes.

As and when TB and Gus part company I'd love to know who, around Europe, present themselves to Tony.

We certainly wouldn't be hoping to get Michael Appleton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports