Will we ever ?

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
No chance

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Why would a World Cup in England be "absolute chaos" ?

I think its actually incredible that this country hasn't hosted one for nearly 50 years, and still won't be in the equation to host one for generations. Obviously the vested interests and politics of FIFA has seen to that, but I don't think there is a country in the world better equipped to host a World Cup than England.

Our cities would be trashed by riots and violence.

Our transport system would be stretched beyond breaking point.

Louts drinking 18 hours per day and causing trouble.

Just going about our normal business would be impossible for a month.

Can't think of much worse than England hosting the World Cup.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven

What a load of rubbish

We could host the world cup next month if we had to,
We have the stadiums we have the infrastructure & we have the location.
It's a no brainer unless you work for FIFA

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

Just like Euro '96, then ...?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Or the Olympics....pah! :facepalm:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
And how do you explain our failure to qualify in 1974 and 1978 when near enough everyone playing professional football in England, was English?

The foreign player issue is a myth made up as an excuse for the FA to cover up that they don't get the investment and conditions right for grassroots players to become elite sportspeople and it always has been.

However, where I do slightly disagree is that before the cultural expansion of the Premier league and certainly whilst I was growing up in the 80s and the decades before, the top three English leagues were dominated by Scottish, Welsh and Irish players. Now it's considerably less and it's no coincidence that the decline of Scottish football, in particular in the international stage coincides with the increase in foreign players in the Premier League and the decline of Scottish players being signed by English clubs.

However your point is also correct when you also look at the World Cup 94 and all the European championships that we've been so awful in. However, this isn't just an problem in England and we need to get over this.

As a coach myself I'm always seeing emails telling me how I can get my players to play the Dutch or Spanish way. However, the Irony of this is that Holland have never won the World Cup and in fact when they got to the final at the last World Cup, their style of football was more like England in the 80s than the Ajax of the 70s! And let's not forget that until Spain revolutionised their grassroots football did they find any success and even that took 12 years before that their record was just one European Championship in 1964.

Ironically, I never receive any emails or see websites which tell me how I can coach my players to play the Italian or German way!

I actually think that we have a better squad now than we did 4 years ago and that in another 4 years with the technically excellent players we have coming through that we have a chance of being serious contenders in Russia.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona

This sounds more like an episode of Brits abroad.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

That is laughable.

Got to be the funniest post I've seen for a while.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Fewer English players in the Premiership blamed for England not being a success? Absolute rubbish, to me.

Someone find me a breakdown of the squads for all the other countries (I'm lazy, sorry) in the World Cup and show me how many of their players play in their 'home' league. I'd wager England might be the only squad with every single player playing in their home league.

What's my point? My point is to question why there are so many overseas academy and youth players playing in England, and so few English players in academies and youth teams overseas.

It's not that overseas teams don't have academies, or won't sign English players, it's because the English are so bloody insular, so narrow-minded, so xenophobic and so poorly-educated (in relation to speaking second languages) that they limit themselves to trying to sign for English clubs... and there simply isn't enough room for everyone.

This also applies to that 'best league in the world, that's why senior English players won't go overseas' rubbish - if you want to develop, go where the development will be found (and that isn't warming the bench for two-thirds of the season at Man City/Man U/ Chelsea/etc.). English players only go overseas to make money during their 'twilight' years, and that's a disgraceful situation.

And don't reel out the 6 - 8 names we all know who went overseas. An average of less than than one per year is appalling and the fact that we can all name them demonstrates just how few there have been.

We should focus on encouraging players to develop their game in the same way as overseas players do - i.e. go to whichever team might have you, wherever they are. I don't know if the reticence is from the youth players or from their parents but until we see the England squad populated with players with worldwide experience and therefore able to share skills and developments they've learned from other football cultures, we will continue to achieve less than we otherwise might.

Rant over. Sorry.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here

you do realise that every weekend during the premier league season there are several games which attract large crowds played simultaneously right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here