Will We Ever Know . . . .

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Yes, and it'll be full of the normal Argus shit you get.

Excuse me but I happen to enjoy reading the Argus, just not for sport but all other topics it displays. Why do people assume it's just Albion related. I personally think it's a great paper and have read it for over 20 years and will do for the foreseeable future what ever you anti Argus readers think.

HoveBHA

Jun 23, 2013
I agree - the Club would do very well to let the world know asap the exact circumstances and timing of GP's sacking, especially if the evidence refutes any of his claims. But I wonder if the Club's legal people will want this kept confidential for now.

The downside of allowing this to drift is the Club will attract all sorts of media headlines and speculation tomorrow and on past form I suspect the LMA will also weigh in with a very uncomplimentary statement just to stir the pot.

We all need to remain strong.

"We all need to remain strong"
LOFL!!! Gus has been sacked that's all - your whole family hasn't suddenly died or something ffs!!!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We will never find out unfortunately.
The reason given publically will be a breakdown in the relationship.
The only thing both parties will agree on is for the real reasons to remain confidential so as to not tarnish reputations.

We never really found out why Wilkins left. But I'd be surprised if we don't hear the reasons for this, as with no settlement agreement there are no confidentiality clauses. If he's sacked he can tell the world why, and spin it his own way so it may lead to a back-and-forth clash, and if it goes to court, that's public information anyway.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
What time does the Argus come out?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I suspect this has come about entirely because of Financial Fair Play. Gus, unhappy with this year's budget, was certainly unwilling to carry on with the restrictions that would be inevitably imposed upon him on the next season by Barber, the man Bloom brought in specifcally to make sure that we conform with the regulations.

It's all about FFP.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Just a shame he touted himself for every job before the palace game but now knows why we hate them and i suspect he hates them even more than us!

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I suspect this has come about entirely because of Financial Fair Play. Gus, unhappy with this year's budget, was certainly unwilling to carry on with the restrictions that would be inevitably imposed upon him on the next season by Barber, the man Bloom brought in specifcally to make sure that we conform with the regulations.

It's all about FFP.

I can certainly see this bringing him in to loggerheads with Barber - and it would explain his 'have we reached the ceiling?' comments after the Palace game.

Don't expect the Argus to reveal very much, especially if Gus is going to appeal because there is still everything to be contested for legally speaking.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

It's all about FFP.

This seems to be confirmed by this morning's article in the Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...n-as-the-tv-cameras-keep-rolling-8670398.html

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I can certainly see this bringing him in to loggerheads with Barber - and it would explain his 'have we reached the ceiling?' comments after the Palace game.

Don't expect the Argus to reveal very much, especially if Gus is going to appeal because there is still everything to be contested for legally speaking.

Maybe we have reached the ceiling then. Maybe in another 30 years we'll be talking about our highest finish since Poyet

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe we have reached the ceiling then. Maybe in another 30 years we'll be talking about our highest finish since Poyet

And by the same token we may be getting excited about our first Premier League fixture this time next year

It's all guesswork.

If Gus decides to appeal then presumably we would know the details, as the case would be heard in open court.

Clearly the club think that he has seriously misbehaved, this is way more than just ill-judged comments after the Palace game.

Personally I think they have handled it very well and I don't believe they would be stupid enough to not inform him officially before issuing the statement on the website.

Gus is very much the sort of man that if you give him enough rope he will hang himself - journalists sussed this out three years ago. So the way to deal with people like that is to keep schtum and let them talk themselves into a hole.

If - and I accept it's a big if and I like virtually everyone else has no idea what actually went on - if the club are correct in their accusations then in the cold light of day Gus may well reconsider his decision to appeal. He wouldn't want his dirty laundry washed in public.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
If Gus decides to appeal then presumably we would know the details, as the case would be heard in open court.

Clearly the club think that he has seriously misbehaved, this is way more than just ill-judged comments after the Palace game.

Personally I think they have handled it very well and I don't believe they would be stupid enough to not inform him officially before issuing the statement on the website.

Gus is very much the sort of man that if you give him enough rope he will hang himself - journalists sussed this out three years ago. So the way to deal with people like that is to keep schtum and let them talk themselves into a hole.

If - and I accept it's a big if and I like virtually everyone else has no idea what actually went on - if the club are correct in their accusations then in the cold light of day Gus may well reconsider his decision to appeal. He wouldn't want his dirty laundry washed in public.

If the accusations were "big" he would have been sacked from the outset and he wouldn't be saying he is still the manager and going to appeal. He will get another job easily (lets not kid ourselves) so why doesn't he just walk?

I think you are right - the club thought he would hang himself live on TV - unfortunately he didn't!

The reasons for this whole sorry, sordid mess.

Are we, the fans, entitled to an explanation as to why, on the surface, a match made in perfect footballing heaven has disintergrated into a shambolic PR disaster of a divorce.

It seems, apart from the two parties involved (the club and Gus Poyet), no one has a clue as to why this rift and suspension, and now sacking, has occurred.

Generally football clubs leak information like a sieve, the Albion, on the other hand, have been tighter than a duck's arse with their terse, short statements.

This has led to so much speculation, rumour, opinion and gossip that it's almost a civil war between Albion fans - pro Gus/anti Gus, Barber is to blame/or not, the Board are right/wrong.

Now we have this car crash of publicity as whether Gus Poyet heard of his dismissal live on TV, and the club have to wait to see if there is an appeal or not and are looking for the dreaded INTERIM manager (Rafa anyone?).

The whole process has left us with more questions and sod all answers.

So, please Brighton and Hove Albion, may we have (without you entering a legal minefield) an insight into what the hell has been going on, for no other reason than to stop us going insane.
Well if you aint worked it out by now i suggest you don't waste money on any murder mystery events:facepalm:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Doesn't this all depend on where the appeal is held?

If it goes to an industrial tribunal then they are open to the public. Surely it will need to be independent body rather than the club again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports