Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we be buying anyone in January?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Been excellent all season for Swansea and I expect the yanks to sell him but doubt it will be to Brighton.

While I wouldn't say no to a 190 cm striker to throw in at the end of some games this is what I expected. We're gonna start most games with just one striker and we have Maupay, who is never injured, and Connolly who deserves to keep getting a lot of time on the pitch. Worst case scenario we got Murray and promising youngsters.

Complacency failure...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We also have big Victor Gyokeres coming back next season who appears to be doing well at St Pauli.

If Murray has indicated he'll stay, then maybe we don't really need another striker.

Then again, Andone did leave at the last minute after Gyokeres and Mlakar had already gone out on loan - perhaps we wouldn't have sent them both out if we knew Florin was leaving.

Muzza is a spent force IMHO... which is my point...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I do share your fears and one injury to Maupay could be disastrous for us
We did get lucky last season and the bottom teams are looking stronger than at any point last season
We are currently only 4 points above the last relegation place when last season we were 10 points clear
So to let this window go by without strengthening would seem risky

At last, some perspective, and sense... this. With bells on...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not convinced we need one.

Chances are if we signed a new striker he would need time to adapt and the way this relegation battle is turning out we can't be carrying anyone that wont click in straight away.

Go with what we have got.

We have goals across the team ... just need a few more of them

Another complacency failure...

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
With the league so tight,and Bournemouth an example of lack of depth,in the event of key injuries ,I wonder that we might take out some league survival insurance policy this season.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No, we have one striker who is effectively 'gone past his sell-by date' (Muzza another year older). One who is barely out of the youth ranks and defo still on a learning curve (AC). Effectively, 1 who can be relied on (Maupay). Ali J is NOT a striker.

So, it is a good comparison, and valid rant... yes, it is a rant!

A starter, a youth talent and a seasoned pro is a very good trio to have. Everyone knows their place and Murray or Connolly are very unlikely to kick off if Maupay is getting the starting spot each week. It's very rare to have 3 strikers (for one position) and all 3 are probably accepting of their rank.

If you want to add ANOTHER striker (so 4 strikers for 1 spot), where exactly do you want them slipping in the pecking order. Someone to replace Maupay? or someone to sit as second choice....in which case, what striker is likely to sign up for that?

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Who is going to supply those goals, most teams have midfield players normally capable of adding a few, with exception of Mooy’s goal last week they look incapable to me of adding to our total
I could be wrong but I think Ali J has just answered that point. Either that or he is a striker in which case we dont need another one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You would have thought we would have learnt from our ridiculous complacency last season. ****ing pathetic by the club if true

Don't think we're in even a vaguely similar situation. Last season a lack of goals and over-reliance on Murray were massive worries at this point in time.

This season, neither of those things are true.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Even if Maupay does avoid injury, and starts in every match, l'm not sure just his goals will be enough anyway. My hope was, that especially now we are playing a more expansive style of football and getting forward more, that more goals would come from elsewhere in the team, Davy Propper for example whose goals per game ratio was higher with his previous clubs, or Jahanbaksh who l thought might be integrated into the team and up to speed by now.

Alas neither has happened, thus far at least.

Blimey what a great forecast post ahead of the last two matches where he has become a goal a game man!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Who is going to supply those goals, most teams have midfield players normally capable of adding a few, with exception of Mooy’s goal last week they look incapable to me of adding to our total

Mooy, Trossard, Ali J, Bissouma, March when fit, even Propper I think will score more than last season in our current system and style of play. Alzate will also finally finish one of these chances he keeps getting on the edge of the box.

We are spreading the goals out amongst the team far more than we did last season.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I could be wrong but I think Ali J has just answered that point. Either that or he is a striker in which case we dont need another one.

He went 26 games without scoring and most fans wanting rid of him, are you willing to gamble our Premier future that he won’t go another 26 before scoring again? I will add I have not said we need another striker I have said we should strengthen. I would rather an attacking midfielder capable of creating and scoring goals to link I up with Mooy. My view is that Stephens and Propper seem incapable of doing either

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Need some cover if the rumour about Murray going to Forest is true.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Don't think we're in even a vaguely similar situation. Last season a lack of goals and over-reliance on Murray were massive worries at this point in time.

This season, neither of those things are true.

You're right... we now have an over-reliance on Maupay... completely different! ;-)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A starter, a youth talent and a seasoned pro is a very good trio to have. Everyone knows their place and Murray or Connolly are very unlikely to kick off if Maupay is getting the starting spot each week. It's very rare to have 3 strikers (for one position) and all 3 are probably accepting of their rank.

If you want to add ANOTHER striker (so 4 strikers for 1 spot), where exactly do you want them slipping in the pecking order. Someone to replace Maupay? or someone to sit as second choice....in which case, what striker is likely to sign up for that?

We have played 2 and 1 striker...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Mooy, Trossard, Ali J, Bissouma, March when fit, even Propper I think will score more than last season in our current system and style of play. Alzate will also finally finish one of these chances he keeps getting on the edge of the box.

We are spreading the goals out amongst the team far more than we did last season.

Now, that is true... but still not enough from midfield IMHO... you will note that AC made a big difference yesterday as one of two strikers...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You're right... we now have an over-reliance on Maupay... completely different! ;-)

Last season Murray scored 13 of our 35 (THIRTY FIVE!! How the **** did we stay up?!) goals, so around 37.1% of our total goals.

Maupay has 7 of our 25, so 28% off the top of my head. So yes, he is our main scorer, but we are spreading the goals amongst the side more.

We have more individual scorers this season than any other side in the league, I think someone quoted above?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Now, that is true... but still not enough from midfield IMHO... you will note that AC made a big difference yesterday as one of two strikers...

Agreed we looked more of a threat, and I like the two of them working together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here