[Football] Will this season be completed?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will this season be completed

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Guess they are kept on until the window opens?
Which window in the world is that ?

As another thought, Chelsea have key players out of contract on June 30th.

Is the season integrity still intact if West Ham, Watford and Norwich play them after this date ?

Of course it wouldn't be.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Which window in the world is that ?

As another thought, Chelsea have key players out of contract on June 30th.

Is the season integrity still intact if West Ham, Watford and Norwich play them after this date ?

Of course it wouldn't be.

I am suggesting a blanket ban on buying, selling, releasing players until the season is finished. Once/if they decide it won’t be finishing I guess we go back to a potentially delayed window opening.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I am suggesting a blanket ban on buying, selling, releasing players until the season is finished. Once/if they decide it won’t be finishing I guess we go back to a potentially delayed window opening.
You are looking at court action if out of contract players can't move on to another club, as employment law would be being breached in most countries.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
No one comes clean, but Albion fans would love to avoid a relegation this season, by hook or crook. Really focuses the blue-tinted opinions.

I came clean in post 100. I am sure most of us would accept that our views are coloured by expediency if asked

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
If or when this season is completed bearing in mind socialdistancing may well carry on for some time after we are allowed to resume normal life how will we be able to go and watch any games while still staying 2m apart?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been reading about concern regarding playing before the crisis is over e.g. if the league resumes behind closed doors. There was a joint meeting yesterday between the PFA, EPL and EFL. One issue is insurance problems if they knowingly work whilst the health treat is still around. I’m of the view this season will not recommence.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The longer this shut-down of everything goes on, the more likely it becomes that this season will be voided.

I think football's original gung-ho "we will finish this season whatever" is starting to crack as they realise this isn't going to be over in a couple of weeks. I'm not at all sure next season will start on time either - could be September or even October, so the cups will have to be scrapped for one season, especially the ones that normally start in midsummer, like the UEFA cup.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Really? Are you aware of Bosman, and, for that matter, basic employment law.

Football in this country does not operate in isolation, it's calendar is linked to leagues, competitions etc in Europe. If, for example, the rest of Europe was ready to start in Sept (which I know is most improbably but it is just an example!), then we have to as well otherwise our teams wouldn't compete in Europe. There is big money for the top four to compete in CL football, the winner could, in theory, pick up £80m. Add in the match day income, including gate money, advertising etc then I suspect the likes of the top four would not want to lose that for one year.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Football in this country does not operate in isolation, it's calendar is linked to leagues, competitions etc in Europe. If, for example, the rest of Europe was ready to start in Sept (which I know is most improbably but it is just an example!), then we have to as well otherwise our teams wouldn't compete in Europe. There is big money for the top four to compete in CL football, the winner could, in theory, pick up £80m. Add in the match day income, including gate money, advertising etc then I suspect the likes of the top four would not want to lose that for one year.
True - and UEFA really needs to take a strong lead on this. Any competition not completed by 30th.June (that will be all of them, btw) is void. Two months transfer window through July and August, all leagues to start the 20/21 season after 1st. September, whenever Covid-19 and individual government restrictions allow. The calendar won't have room for any cup competitions, so there won't be any in 20/21 - although I suppose they could possibly complete this season's cups of we get the season started nearer September than Christmas.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
On a positive note, the new fixtures come out on 17th June. Just over 11 weeks to wait. Wonder who are first match will be against? .......

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The longer this shut-down of everything goes on, the more likely it becomes that this season will be voided.

I think football's original gung-ho "we will finish this season whatever" is starting to crack as they realise this isn't going to be over in a couple of weeks. I'm not at all sure next season will start on time either - could be September or even October, so the cups will have to be scrapped for one season, especially the ones that normally start in midsummer, like the UEFA cup.

The champions of Andorra, Gibraltar, Kosovo and San Marino kicked off 2019/20 in a Pristina mini-tournament on 25 June 2019.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013

I doubt if any of us will be watching any pro football for a least a year.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
True - and UEFA really needs to take a strong lead on this. Any competition not completed by 30th.June (that will be all of them, btw) is void. Two months transfer window through July and August, all leagues to start the 20/21 season after 1st. September, whenever Covid-19 and individual government restrictions allow. The calendar won't have room for any cup competitions, so there won't be any in 20/21 - although I suppose they could possibly complete this season's cups of we get the season started nearer September than Christmas.

The more I read things on here and elsewhere, the more I think GT49er is on the money. It clearly wont go down well in Liverpool or Leeds but ultimately whether people like it or not, the general public's health and well being is far more important than any sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports