[Football] Will this season be completed?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will this season be completed

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It isn't. I'm not going any further with this debate on semantics.

it isnt semantics. what we are saying (because i find myself in agreement), is void the season and play 20/21 with the same league. Naylor or anyone throwing "re-run" in there is just glossing over.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
When ever the time is right the season will be completed, the broadcasters will ensure this is the case also the Championship clubs seem help bent on reaching a conclusion.
After relegation and promotion has been completed I can see some sort of shortened season for 2020/21 similar to the Cricket County Championship where instead of playing thirty eight games you play two thirds of three quarters of the fixtures, only problem with this is some clubs might play top sides once while others twice, luck of the draw.
One huge problem is going to be transfer windows and players in or out of contract, maybe just have one window and crack on with what you've got.
It's a mess but the bigger picture is outside the game.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
When ever the time is right the season will be completed, the broadcasters will ensure this is the case also the Championship clubs seem help bent on reaching a conclusion.
After relegation and promotion has been completed I can see some sort of shortened season for 2020/21 similar to the Cricket County Championship where instead of playing thirty eight games you play two thirds of three quarters of the fixtures, only problem with this is some clubs might play top sides once while others twice, luck of the draw.
One huge problem is going to be transfer windows and players in or out of contract, maybe just have one window and crack on with what you've got.
It's a mess but the bigger picture is outside the game.

Broadcasters won’t allow a shortened 20/21 season

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
a

How about, subject to the Coronavirus being done and dusted, we start the new season but with each team carrying over their points total from 2019/20 to be added at the end of the 2020/21 campaign? If you like a two season programme combined into one.

With Liverpool so far ahead that would be a pretty boring season?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This was covered in today's daily email from The Athletic. Barbs gets a mention...

The growing appetite for the Premier League season to be abandoned on moral grounds

A number of Premier League clubs want to end the current season with immediate effect and replay it in full once it is deemed safe to do so — even if that means Liverpool being denied a first title in 30 years.

One senior figure told The Athletic it is morally wrong for football to even be discussing playing behind closed doors while the coronavirus crisis is at its peak.

“You look at the people sitting around the Premier League table by Skype; their egos cannot sustain a mirror being held up to them," they said. "The fact is they are not as important as a Tesco delivery driver at this time. We run a game. No more, no less. There is no place for sport at the moment."

At a meeting of all 20 top-flight teams last week, there was a “100 per cent” commitment to completing the 2019-20 campaign whatever that may take, including the prospect of staging matches behind closed doors, and the idea of declaring it “null and void” was off the table. That was largely motivated by the possibility of having to pay back £762 million in broadcast revenue which has already been distributed, in addition to issues around competitive integrity.

But privately, some clubs have developed strong reservations about resuming football during the coronavirus crisis and are leaning towards the season being re-run regardless of the consequences.

This was a view initially raised by West Ham United vice-chair Karren Brady on March 14 and in the subsequent Premier League video call, she and Brighton & Hove Albion chief executive Paul Barber sounded a note of caution on the realities of finishing the matches, though there were no dissenting voices.

Yet behind the scenes, it appears there are more who do not share the collective message, with the chairman of another club telling The Athletic he finds the existing position “insulting”. Any decision on what comes next needs 14 of the 20 clubs to agree in a vote.

Despite European football’s governing body UEFA stating its aim of concluding all domestic and European club competitions by June 30, as things stand, the men’s and women’s seasons in England have been “extended indefinitely” with fixtures recommencing “no earlier than April 30”.

One chairman is furious that the sport is even considering a return in the midst of such societal turmoil, describing it as “embarrassing” and adding: “What we are doing is wrong."

Several teams are said to be of the opinion that April 30 should not be viewed as a chance to play, rather to buy time for the authorities to negotiate with broadcasters over the size of any rebate.

The next Premier League shareholders meeting is scheduled for April 3 and one high-ranking club official said: “I’m hoping the situation changes by then but unfortunately, the world is changing and it’s changing for the worse every day.

“It’s absolutely clear what is going to happen. It’s a worldwide pandemic. You just start (the Premier League season) again and there are very few losers. Liverpool, I know. But in the grand scheme of things, honestly, it really doesn’t matter. You’ve just got to start again."​

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The only bona fida certainty as things stand is Liverpool winning the title, everything else is up for grabs still, so end the season now, give them the title, which will be a bittersweet award for them, presented in isolation and their detractors can forever claim that it was a phoney title season, so a win-win effectively. No promotion or relegation either, job done.

AndyH

Mar 10, 2012
Can't see there being an option to complete the season, but think the fairest way round it would be to start next season with all teams in their current leagues, but to carry over their points and current goal difference to the new season so they start with the benefit (or not) of how they performed in the previous season. If any matches have not been played to date for whatever reason are played next season so that everyone is on a level playing field.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Can't see there being an option to complete the season, but think the fairest way round it would be to start next season with all teams in their current leagues, but to carry over their points and current goal difference to the new season so they start with the benefit (or not) of how they performed in the previous season. If any matches have not been played to date for whatever reason are played next season so that everyone is on a level playing field.

So effectively make it a 76 game season over two years ?

Sounds good in some ways as doesn’t take away what’s happened this year, however kills the title race dead as no one is catching them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So effectively make it a 76 game season over two years ?

Sounds good in some ways as doesn’t take away what’s happened this year, however kills the title race dead as no one is catching them.
76 points needed to avoid relegation.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Don’t shoot the messenger please.

Spoke to a friend in the North West, who has reliable contacts at a number of clubs through his job, there is a growing groundswell amongst a number of Premier Clubs, something which talk sport alluded to this morning, that the season is voided but Liverpool are awarded the League, West Brom and Leeds are promoted to a 22 Premier League with 5 going down for that one season, and the EFL operate with 69 clubs for one season before everything rights itself the following year.

I didn’t rubbish his suggestion, but I can’t see how you can give Liverpool a title they haven’t mathematically won, in the same way you can’t promote the other two and make a larger Premier League.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Spoke to a friend in the North West, who has reliable contacts at a number of clubs through his job, there is a growing groundswell amongst a number of Premier Clubs, something which talk sport alluded to this morning, that the season is voided but Liverpool are awarded the League, West Brom and Leeds are promoted to a 22 Premier League with 5 going down for that one season, and the EFL operate with 69 clubs for one season before everything rights itself the following year.

I didn’t rubbish his suggestion, but I can’t see how you can give Liverpool a title they haven’t mathematically won, in the same way you can’t promote the other two and make a larger Premier League.

Plus I think we'd struggle to avoid being in that bottom 5....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

This is what I posted earlier. If the season is ended then they have won the title as they are top. I'm thinking of this more like a rain effected limited overs cricket match decided on Duckworth Lewis. It often doesn't seem that fair as wickets have yet to be taken, or runs yet to be added, but it is the best they have to decide the match. That is what they have to do here. Liverpool will have a deserved title for a season that ended on 29 games.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
This is what I posted earlier. If the season is ended then they have won the title as they are top. I'm thinking of this more like a rain effected limited overs cricket match decided on Duckworth Lewis. It often doesn't seem that fair as wickets have yet to be taken, or runs yet to be added, but it is the best they have to decide the match. That is what they have to do here. Liverpool will have a deserved title for a season that ended on 29 games.

Not if all the results are expunged like in all non-leagues below conference.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

With Fulham only six points off Leeds. Sorry, but that is absurd.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Seems sensible.

I don't see the rush for 5 down in 1 season - perhaps 4 down, 2 up or 4 down for 2 seasons - but it is what it is.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Why should West Brom and Leeds be promoted when it’s possible one or both could have dropped out of the top two in the remaining games? Fulham still has both of them to play.

Why should Norwich get a reprieve when they are six points adrift at the bottom? This is the same number of points West Brom are ahead by. If you are saying West Brom are as good as promoted, then Norwich are as good as relegated and should go down.

Should we guess the winner of the FA Cup as well?

It didn’t finish, and on the 31st May it is finished and should be null and void. Football is a game - entertainment. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sorry, Liverpool, Leeds, West Brom, Rotherham, Worthing and others; you were unlucky and lost out.

Let’s restore normality to the world, and people’s lives, and then start up the game again afresh with no-one unduly advantaged or disadvantaged.

I think the point being made by Bold Seagull, me and others is that ending (not voiding) the season now would allow the clubs that had at this point in time actually battled themselves into winning positions would be rewarded for their efforts. Yes, that would be unfair to chasing clubs that might have hoped (don't they all) to have overtaken them but surely that is better than being unfair to everyone? There are two reasons for me thinking that relegations shouldn't happen - one is unimportant (I'm an Albion supporter) and one is more valid - a club that had its finances decimated in this way would have a very fair chance of winning a reversal in court. It would go against natural justice.

The other point, and I'm not sure of my ground here, is that ending-early-rather-than-completely-voiding would reduce the size of any claims by the TV companies and others.

I have great respect for everyone who disagrees with me - there are no rights and wrongs and every solution has its merits.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lincoln Imp;9295126 I have great respect for everyone who disagrees with me - there are no rights and wrongs and every solution has its merits.[/QUOTE said:
Indeed, there is no ideal solution likely unless the world gets on top of this virus within at most two months. There will be winners and losers but as Forrest Gump said Shit happens. In the grand scheme of things it’s not of great importance, whatever the eventual outcome. There are going to be more losers than winners by the time we come out of this worldwide catastrophe.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I think the point being made by Bold Seagull, me and others is that ending (not voiding) the season now would allow the clubs that had at this point in time actually battled themselves into winning positions would be rewarded for their efforts. Yes, that would be unfair to chasing clubs that might have hoped (don't they all) to have overtaken them but surely that is better than being unfair to everyone? There are two reasons for me thinking that relegations shouldn't happen - one is unimportant (I'm an Albion supporter) and one is more valid - a club that had its finances decimated in this way would have a very fair chance of winning a reversal in court. It would go against natural justice.

The other point, and I'm not sure of my ground here, is that ending-early-rather-than-completely-voiding would reduce the size of any claims by the TV companies and others.

I have great respect for everyone who disagrees with me - there are no rights and wrongs and every solution has its merits.

It’s almost as though people are desperate for Leeds to be in the PL because of their big club status. I wonder if we’d be hearing so much noise about awarding promotion based on current standings if that very catchable Championship second place position was currently held by Brentford or Millwall, and Leeds were in third place six points behind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports