Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will the Barnsley Game go ahead?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I remember in Barnsley at the end of last season i was sat in a local cafeteria in the more mini-paved area of the town when a young couple had to ask what this strange thing called a ciabatta was. Oooooh, came the reply, it's a brand new type of bread fresh in from abroad. A sneer came back from the young couple and a more standard greasy butty was ordered as this stack of unnibbled ciabattas sat dormant and unloved under their plastic wrapping.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
stayed up there from the Bolton Game I would have assumed
Yes, yes, yes, they're already up there, I'm an idiot. Can we move on now?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I remember in Barnsley at the end of last season i was sat in a local cafeteria in the more mini-paved area of the town when a young couple had to ask what this strange thing called a ciabatta was. Oooooh, came the reply, it's a brand new type of bread fresh in from abroad. A sneer came back from the young couple and a more standard greasy butty was ordered as this stack of unnibbled ciabattas sat dormant and unloved under their plastic wrapping.
Please tell me you made that up?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

I now the area you mean and the story doesn't surprise me. Barnsley is one of the strangest places i've visited. The people seemed to be from some kind of timewarp.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
When I lived up in the area, was noticeable that you would see really large groups of people.. 20-30 moving from one boozer to another, still all carrying their drinks..

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I now the area you mean and the story doesn't surprise me. Barnsley is one of the strangest places i've visited. The people seemed to be from some kind of timewarp.

My grandma, a strict Barnsley-ite, passed away about a decade ago. We went to the funeral, us dark sheep southerners of the family, the few that escaped, and in respect to my grandmother we all went to an Asda foodhall atferwards to dine. It was her favourite place, we were told, but i got the idea that in fact it was the only place in the area with wheelchair access, so it was not her favourite for the plate of dry chips i was served, alas, but for the simple fact there was nowhere else for her to go when her carer allowed it.
Also, we went to a pub there very shortly after, at about 12.30. There was only one person in the pub leaning at the bar on what looked like their third frothy pint of the morning. It was Seth from Emmerdale, the whiskers on his face awash with head.

A strange place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here